Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   School Bus Conversion Resources > Skoolie Community Forums > New Member Intros - Say Hello!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2019, 02:29 PM   #1

Question New to site, I have an abandoned school bus and need to move, get on the road or sell

A young man left his Thomas Built school bus at my house, over a year and a half ago. He is in Europe and would like to sell it for half what he paid for it, just to get some money back. Unfortunately it has some issues. It was running fine when he left it. Since then we bought two new batteries for it. It started right up, but we then noticed a bad brake line leak and a gas (diesel) leak. The Diesel leak is small, l but I imagine the fuel tank needs replacing. The brake line leak is gushing. I have looked into replacement tank and lines. Problem no one I know in my area works on school buses, the closest mechanic shop would cost me $500 just to tow.
So do I try to repair and sell, 2006 Thomas Built, not a full length school bus, but next size down (not a short bus), Cummins engine, 30,000 miles. The seats have been removed and the beginning of renovations started (small gas stove, sink, small fridge, water tank) The mechanic I spoke to said he would buy it for the engine and tow it away. I think the retail value of a running bus of this make is between, $5,000 and 7,000, from what I could find on line.
What should I try to sell it for?
How much should I ask for the engine if I go that route?
Any advice on which direction to go?
Thank you, wish I had the energy to convert it into a camper and travel, but too many other projects in my retirement, including bottle calves that I am training to become oxen!
Thanks again, Virginia in Virginia

vainva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Welcome to the site Virginia in VA.
I'm afraid $5~$7K is not realistic for what you have.
In its current state, basically what you have, not a running/drivable bus, it's whatever the scrap metal is worth or what the market in your corner of the country will bear.
Scrap metal is way down from its lofty highs of years ago, but if the current tariffs stay in place another year or so, I'd expect it might go up?

Your best bet to get back as much of the owners investment, would be to get it running without any raw fuel leaks, and yard drivable/stoppable. Then you might be able to get $2~$3k for it?

Another option would be to part it out. Sell off the inside fixtures, mechanical running gear, whatever else anyone might have an interest in, and then scrap the rest.

You didn't say anything about body/chassis rust. If it has untreated cancer on it, not sure it'll sell quickly?

Good luck on whatever route you take in disposing of this unwanted project.
Post up pics eventually, if you want to stir up more interest on here...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote