Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2018, 10:00 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

New to Skoolie

Greetings! I have been lurking for a few months, trying to learn as much ad I can about buying a Skoolie. I thought I should introduce myself.

I am not new to tiny houses but new to Skoolies. I am VERY excited about making a Skoolie my new home!

I am in the North East/ Greater Boston area. The cost of living here is crazy. I am a Home Birth Midwife.

I am hoping to find a partially converted Bus to live in year round. I don't have the time/ money/ energy to start from scratch, although I am thoroughly impressed with those of you have or are doing so!!!

There is such a wealth of knowledge here. It is amazing. I look forward to learning more.

Are there Skoolie folks out there who are anywhere in my area? If so, can you recommend a trust worthy mechanic to check out a bus for me, on Cape Cod?
Thanks!
Mobile Midwife

Mobile Midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:29 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile Midwife View Post
Greetings! I have been lurking for a few months, trying to learn as much ad I can about buying a Skoolie. I thought I should introduce myself.

I am not new to tiny houses but new to Skoolies. I am VERY excited about making a Skoolie my new home!

I am in the North East/ Greater Boston area. The cost of living here is crazy. I am a Home Birth Midwife.

I am hoping to find a partially converted Bus to live in year round. I don't have the time/ money/ energy to start from scratch, although I am thoroughly impressed with those of you have or are doing so!!!

There is such a wealth of knowledge here. It is amazing. I look forward to learning more.

Are there Skoolie folks out there who are anywhere in my area? If so, can you recommend a trust worthy mechanic to check out a bus for me, on Cape Cod?
Thanks!
Mobile Midwife
Check out my friend Sandi aka WanderWoman. She's a traveling midwife in who lives in a bus part time.

Cape Cod sound like it would be an expensive, rusty place to go bus shopping. Definitely get eyes on it and look over it real well!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:44 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks EastCoastcb! I will check out your friend WanderWoman. That's great, another Skoolie Midwife. Awesome! So helpful! Love this forum!

Thx also re probable rust on a bus on Cape Cod. I'm still in the process of getting more info out of the owner.
This is the Craigslist ad for it. Not much info there. https://capecod.craigslist.org/rvs/d...650081908.html

If it seems worth it, I'll definitely go & take look at it first before having it assessed by a mechanic.. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:49 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
How much travelling do you plan to do? That gas engine is going to be painful and expensive to live with if you're on the road often, but it doesn't mean much if you're just driving it home and parking it for months at a time.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:47 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks BrokeDown. I was wondering about just that - with the gas engine. Yes, I do plan to not drive it much now. Want the option of driving it later preferably. Considering it as a tiny home for now & maybe that would mean getting another bus later if/when I'm hitting the road later? Do ya get something like 5MPG with gas vs 10-12MPG with diesel?
Can anyone chime in regarding biodiesel too, as far as MPG and cost. Thx.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:53 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Broke down, did you also mean gas engines are harder, more expensive to maintain? What did you mean by "painful & expensive"? Thanks
Old 08-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
In the medium duty chassis bus world, a gas engine will get about half the MPG as a comparable diesel. They will also tend to have shorter lifespans and require more maintenance. You aren't likely to find a gas engine bus with 500k miles that hasn't been rebuilt at least once to get there. Outside of some fairly specific circumstances I'd not recommend a gas engine in a bus.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Welcome,

If you intend to winter in cold climates in your bus I would strongly suggest that you buy or build a bud with very good insulation.

It is not really practical to add insulation after the build and winter in Boston in a "metal tent" would not be pleasant.

Good luck with your quest.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:20 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks so much PND_Steve!
I will keep that is n more and. Brrrrh!
Old 09-06-2018, 08:22 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

That was a bunch of typos as my last response. Sorry.

I will keep the metal tent in mind!:Sounds COLD!