Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2013
Coachwork: Ford
Engine: Gas v10
Rated Cap: 13
New to skoolie forum posts keep getting removed?

I have made a post about 3 times and it keeps getting removed. I have searched the rules and found nothing wrong with my posts.. so why are they getting removed, and why am I not being informed the reason so that I can stop doing what I am doing wrong. Or do I have to meet some criteria first?

Reganade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Try posting it now, now that you know your posts are showing.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

hi o1marc, Yeah that is what had happened before. I saw the post after I posted it. Is it frowned upon to post a Craigslist ad and ask for opinions? I didn't see anything in the rules about it. I just want to make sure I'm going to make a solid buy.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:34 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reganade View Post
hi o1marc, Yeah that is what had happened before. I saw the post after I posted it. Is it frowned upon to post a Craigslist ad and ask for opinions? I didn't see anything in the rules about it. I just want to make sure I'm going to make a solid buy.
Were you logged in when you tried to post? I assume you were if you were able to type a response at all.. People post CL links and links to other site continuously.

Post the link and reply to the General forum now.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah I think it is the URL issue. I can't post the link without my post getting removed. Do I need a certain number of posts before I can post links without moderation?
Old 08-28-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yeah I think it is the URL issue. I can't post the link without my post getting removed. Do I need a certain number of posts before I can post links without moderation?
You may need to exceed 5 posts. Couple more and you're there. What and where was the CL posting, I can post it for you.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:48 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

You are the real MVP. Yeah I just want opinions on a bus, I am looking at buying. I know little, and I want to know more, and I think the best way to learn more is by asking people that know way more than me.

Here is the key url stuff: panamacity craigslist 1995 international bus. it has 270,000 miles (may be high?) for $2500. The description says: "The bus runs good. This bus has 3 roof mounted air conditioners that work. It also has handicap lift built in side of bus. The lift and a/c's are probably worth asking price. It has good tires, clear title, 7.3 diesel engine. Overall bus in pretty good condition."
Old 08-28-2018, 10:52 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
You are the real MVP. Yeah I just want opinions on a bus, I am looking at buying. I know little, and I want to know more, and I think the best way to learn more is by asking people that know way more than me.

Here is the key url stuff: panamacity craigslist 1995 international bus. it has 270,000 miles (may be high?) for $2500. The description says: "The bus runs good. This bus has 3 roof mounted air conditioners that work. It also has handicap lift built in side of bus. The lift and a/c's are probably worth asking price. It has good tires, clear title, 7.3 diesel engine. Overall bus in pretty good condition."
You have no idea how many people on this forum laughed at your first comment.

https://panamacity.craigslist.org/ct...678364888.html
Old 08-28-2018, 10:57 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Lifts are worth between free and $100. 99% of Skoolie builders will remove the AC's and go with a more convenient solution. You'll want to find out the mileage and the specific tranny it has. I don't see anything that makes the asking price out of line.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:11 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, the mileage is apparently 270,000. Which is kinda high, but could still have 100,000 miles left of life. I thought he mentioned it has been sitting for a year, not sure on that. But yeah, selling the lift for $80 would be nice. And I know most people remove the ACs. But is there any possible way to have then run independently without having the engine running. Is buying a 5HP electric motor to spin the belt all it would be, or is it more involved.

And I know, this can clearly be a blind leading the blind moment, but I'm more inclined to follow a blind person than no person, cause I'll either be in the right direction, or the wrong one.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
That ad doesn't have much info but if I were shopping I'd be looking at it.

It almost surely has an AT545 transmission. If it has anything else, that's a big plus. The miles are high but my short bus is getting up in that range too and runs like a champ.

Anyone who removes engine driven AC must not plan to drive their bus. if someone tried to remove mine, I would kick them right square in the coinpurse. I would not buy a bus that didn't include it, no way, no how.

It is possible to convert them to be driven from a different motor, but the energy required to do so between compressor, compressor clutch, condenser fans, and blower fans is pretty significant. Those AC units are likely 50k BTU or more each, I don't think a 5hp electric motor will do it. Maybe 10hp?
Old 08-28-2018, 11:28 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Is it as simple as just having a motor spin the belt? Cause what I am thinking is I would just have this for being parked and have the motor be hooked up to an outlet. So we can stay the night and have AC..

And yeah, so the AT545 transmission is a good one that can be regeared (is that even proper terminology) to travel at higher speeds? I mean, if this maxes out at 65mph I don't think that's bad.

Anyone have a ballpark at the MPGS this thing would get? 7mpg?
Old 08-28-2018, 12:55 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Also, it has air brakes and I called the DMV cause I wanted to know how I would get it home (would only be driven once) and they said that if it has air brakes I would need a CDL to get it home after I registered it as a bus, and I would need insurance, a weight slip and to fill out the forms to verify it has the electric, water etc.

So my question is how do I get it home now after I purchase? Ha.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:05 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Also, it has air brakes and I called the DMV cause I wanted to know how I would get it home (would only be driven once) and they said that if it has air brakes I would need a CDL to get it home after I registered it as a bus, and I would need insurance, a weight slip and to fill out the forms to verify it has the electric, water etc.

So my question is how do I get it home now after I purchase? Ha.
Go to the UserCP and fill out your profile so we can better answer area related questions. Most states do not require a CDL for air brakes.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:29 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

I live in Crestview, Fl the bus I am interested in is in Panama City. ApproxiMately an hour and 30 minutes away. Mostly i10 driving.

Also where is a good way to find a weigh station? I am having trouble googling for that.

also for registering specs,I would love to just have an extension cord from a small inverter that is powered by the bus battery to demonstrate it powering a plug in light. if thr dmv asks. ha.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:12 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Most salvage, recycle, scrap yards have scales. Every truck stop or inspection station on the freeway. Local landfills also have a scale.

Search and read the conversion requirement threads here, Just having your electric isn't going to fly, you need to meet 4 of 6 requirements. Search here for those threads. DMV is the least of your worries, if it's not completed correctly, you'll never get it insured.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:15 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Okay. so those are valid places. thank you so much. I was thinking it had to be some specific place.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:47 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
those A/C units will take 5 horsepower or more to put out much cool air at all... getting that from a plug-in electric motor is going to need a big motor.. they are designed to run off the engine..

im with Brokedown keep them.. or well at least keep one if you are going to insulate the bus well, then you may be able to just keep the front to keep you cool while driving..

I have 3 busses, 2 have A/C.. one I actually added road A/C to it because it didnt have it.. the other had it and I went through it with a fine tooth comb to make it work Super cold..

my 3rd bus is a classic.. I will be adding period-centric A/C to it for the driver...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:43 AM   #19
Bus Geek

FYI

Your posts were not removed, they got moved to spam section due to being under 10 posts and you kept posting "url's"

It is a anti spam feature, you should be good to go now
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote