Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2019, 05:30 PM   #1

New to skoolies looking for advice

Hi everyone! My husband and I are have been looking for a skoolie for our family
and are new to all of this. We may have found one in Virginia but we live in Florida. Anyone have experience driving from Virginia to Florida without tags without any issues? Or would it be Safer having it shipped? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:58 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I started a thread to see if anyone has EVER been pulled over in a school bus, don't think there were any negative replies. Make sure it is insured most of all, get a signed title and BOS and drive it home. You have to drive like a real idiot to stand out in a bus. If you do get pulled over and your paperwork and story are in line, you're usually sent on your way. Having insurance is of utmost importance, one because it is required, and two it shows you're not trying to skate legality.

Shipping is usually cost prohibitive.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I got pulled over in Georgia for not having a plate on my bus. I actually had taken it off and forgot to put it back on, so i didn't get a ticket. My bus was painted blue and white and wouldn't be mistaken for an actual school bus.

With that said, I've driven tens of thousands of miles in various buses in various states and situations and that was really the only time I felt like I wasn't invisible to police.

If you're a Florida resident, get a temp tag.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
I drove mine from New Jersey to Savannah Georgia. Zero problems from the police. According to the school I bought the bus from you're supposed to have a temporary tag in New Jersey but I didn't and I was out of the state pretty quick.

At a toll booth in Pennsylvania they said to be careful in Virginia with all of the troopers. I had no problem there either.

I had insurance and the bill of sale with me. You probably need some sort of commercial insurance with the bus at least until you get the seats out. And of course your mileage may vary.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:47 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
As has been mentioned already and just to summarize, the OP should be fine for a maiden voyage home with a temp plate, proof of insurance, and bill of sale, and drive safely. If cannot remove school bus lights and markings beforehand, at least use something like duct tape to strike through all markings to indicate it is not an in-service school bus.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:52 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
I got pulled over in Georgia for not having a plate on my bus. I actually had taken it off and forgot to put it back on, so i didn't get a ticket. My bus was painted blue and white and wouldn't be mistaken for an actual school bus.

With that said, I've driven tens of thousands of miles in various buses in various states and situations and that was really the only time I felt like I wasn't invisible to police.

If you're a Florida resident, get a temp tag.
Fl won't issue a temp tag for residents for out of state purchases. At least they won't for me.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:14 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Generally the temp tag comes from the state where the vehicle was purchased. From a quick search it looks like Virginia may not issue temp tags for private purchases.

What i did was put my existing bus's plate on the new bus... But at a glance, a Florida bus plate is the same as any other Florida plate.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Quote:
Generally the temp tag comes from the state where the vehicle was purchased. From a quick search it looks like Virginia may not issue temp tags for private purchases.

What i did was put my existing bus's plate on the new bus... But at a glance, a Florida bus plate is the same as any other Florida plate.
I think I would rather risk going with no plates (Unregistered vehicle) than putting plates on it that are registered to another vehicle (Misuse of plates). Unless of course you are 'selling' the other vehicle.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

NO man its always better to have no plate than the wrong plate. It may reduce your chance of getting pulled over but if you were caught it could be a lot worse. I've been told by several leo's its best to have none atall than to fudge it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Well we're talking about varying degrees of being in the wrong, everybody has to weigh their own options. I personally felt less likely to be stopped when my plate comes back to a bluebird bus and I'm driving a bluebird bus, but a ticket is a possibility in any situation.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
I've seen people put a piece of cardboard that says 'In Transit' or 'Tag Applied For' in place of a license plate. Seems screwy but nowadays I bet that would be preferable to using an actual plate from another vehicle because I'm guessing in that situation it just raises tons of red flags to LEO if you do get pulled over.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:44 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
In the State of Georgia, I have 30 days to register a new purchase, BOS/Proof of Insurance is your registration until then. Check your state rules on how long you have to register.
If I was unregistered in a bus, I would want that bus to look like it is still in service to be most unrecognized, all school marking left till I get home. Chances of not seeing a tag are not as great as obvious deletion of school markings.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote