Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #1

New to the world of bus conversions

Hello,

My name is Liam, I am 23 years old, and I live in NH. I've recently been researching all things school bus conversion related. The more I look into it, the more I want to do it. I hate throwing away money towards expensive rent every month and I don't need a big house all to myself.

I have a bus that I've seen once. A friend of mine who I work with is moving across the country and selling a school bus he was using to store and move items. It's a Thomas bus, not sure of the year, with a 5.9 cummins engine. This is all I can remember from the casual conversations we've had about it. Hoping to get some more info about it when I see him later in the week.

My plan is to work on the bus as I have the time and the means. I will have a place to live with working on it so there is no rush behind the renovations. I don't have any skills with building but would love to hear some tips and tricks from anyone who has them. I'll be relying on this group of people who have come before me for help.

Thanks! Can't wait to get to know you all.

Liam

ldm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Welcome. I don't have any skills either. I still have done my bus. You can always rip it out and start over. My is most likely considered poor quality to those excellent pro looking buses. I am to the point that i need someone good at trimming out my work to hide the ugly but functional.YOU CAN DO IT and it is quite a bit of fun and satisfaction of doing it. Hindsight will brecome very 20/20 as you go along.

Shop for ideas. Cruise the stores like lowes etc to get ideas of all the new products out there and read read every thread on these forums.

Shop for supplies . Garage sales in very affluent ares can reap hundreds $ in savings.
Look at other Skoolies for ideas.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:55 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Where are you in NH? I've got a house in Keene and I'm up there once a month or so. Happy to give you any help I can. It's worth free.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:25 PM   #4

I live in Keene! Might be moving to Winchester in the summer but staying in the general Keene area. I'm gonna be living with friends while I build the bus and it depends if they move or not.
ldm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

I'll be up Vet's Day weekend. PM me some contact info; I'll get you mine.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:06 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldm123 View Post
I hate throwing away money towards expensive rent every month and I don't need a big house all to myself.
Howdy and welcome Liam!

You can do it - no rocket science involved. As previously stated, you may end up doing something several times until you get it the way you want it but nothing wrong with that.

I suspect we all look at our "project" differently. That said; I do not look at mine as an investment. Like an RV that looses value VERY quickly, I don't ever expect my bus to be worth what I spent on it - especially since the market is so small. I agree, giving rent money to someone can be hard, sticking it into a bus may not be much better (you won't know until the experience is over). At a minimum, you are mobile and it is yours.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:06 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldm123 View Post
I live in Keene! Might be moving to Winchester in the summer but staying in the general Keene area. I'm gonna be living with friends while I build the bus and it depends if they move or not.
Welcome (& cya)!

I'm over near Dover, & bugging out for TX in my '98 Intern'l within a coupla days.

As luck would have it, I'm passing thru Keene, en route to NY, & on to Route 17.

Maybe we can coordinate coffee. Lets synchronize our watches...

Matteo
Old 11-11-2017, 05:07 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
I'll be up Vet's Day weekend. PM me some contact info; I'll get you mine.
Heya Dan!

The preceding reply applies to you too. [emoji111]

Matteo

Tags