Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2017, 07:57 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I played the sax in middle school.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:57 PM   #22
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
[QUOTE=bandman894;230097

Bus B
2003 Bluebird All American FE
225 HP Cummins ISB with turbo
Allison Auto Transmission
83 passenger
282,530 miles
Top speed - 72+ mph
[/QUOTE]

You want to buy bus A. Let me buy bus B...

Cummins ISB wins!!!!

Nice score ! Take a community college CDL class to learn bunch. You don't have to have CDL license (better NOT to have legally) , but class is fun.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:33 PM   #23
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
You want to buy bus A. Let me buy bus B...

Cummins ISB wins!!!!

Nice score ! Take a community college CDL class to learn bunch. You don't have to have CDL license (better NOT to have legally) , but class is fun.

I want to change my answer- is it too late???

I misread ISB as ISC in my pea brain. ISB is the 5.9L 24V. I have that motor in my bus, but others say it's underpowered for full size bus in mountains.

ISC is 8.3L bigger brother, which I also have a few of those in 5-ton army trucks. If it was that 8.3L motor, it'd be sure to have bigger Allison trans and would be clear winner.

Try to find a pusher with the 8.3L . You also never gave us prices....which would have bearing on choice.

mea culpa, not running on much sleep here... there are more than those 2 buses in the World.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:33 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
You also never gave us prices....which would have bearing on choice.
I can only give you an idea. The buses have to be bid out through the district. Although the bus supervisor says they usually go for around $2000. That's kind of a round guess based on past bus bids.

bandman894
bandman894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:32 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Here are a few pics of the other bus. This is the one with more horsepower and tops out at 72+ on the highway. It doesn't, however, have under-carriage storage.

As always, I am excited to have your comments!

bandman894
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171023_121142140_HDR.jpg   IMG_20171023_121330792_HDR.jpg   IMG_20171023_121338686_HDR.jpg  
Old 10-24-2017, 12:18 AM   #26
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandman894 View Post

As always, I am excited to have your comments!

bandman894
What's your gut say? Clean All-American.

You are getting into them for little money, so odds-are you won't loose if you hate it. You have a place to stash this and no HOA in sight, right?

You could buy them both and decide later.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:14 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
What's your gut say? Clean All-American.

You are getting into them for little money, so odds-are you won't loose if you hate it. You have a place to stash this and no HOA in sight, right?

You could buy them both and decide later.
I'm starting to lean towards the more horsepower knowing that storage areas can be added, but it's harder to add horsepower. The lot my house is on is a 3 acre lot, and no, there is no HOA. However, because of trees and uneven ground, I'm going to have to be careful getting it into a spot I can work on it.

bandman894
Old 10-24-2017, 06:41 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I think once you're going down the interstate you'll be GLAD to have that extra speed and power.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:00 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Does anyone know a resource for a newbie like me trying to understand what order the different parts of the conversion need to go in? I know the seats come out and the floor needs to be done next, but I need to know what would go next. Also, I could use some idea of what all needs to be done for electrical. I think we need a shore power hookup, a generator and a automatic switch between the two. I would also like to be able to add solar at some point, so I probably need to get the initial components with that in mind. Thanks for all the information! Really love this forum!!

bandman894
Old 10-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Does anyone know a resource for a newbie like me trying to understand what order the different parts of the conversion need to go in? I know the seats come out and the floor needs to be done next, but I need to know what would go next. Also, I could use some idea of what all needs to be done for electrical. I think we need a shore power hookup, a generator and a automatic switch between the two. I would also like to be able to add solar at some point, so I probably need to get the initial components with that in mind. Thanks for all the information! Really love this forum!!

bandman894
The best resource I have found is this site. Read the conversion "build" threads, and you might want to watch some of the YouTube videos series too.

They are a wealth of info.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

I have been sitting here reading about wiring on the forum and just can't figure out a way to estimate

1. how much a/c I need (1 or 2 units? How many BTUs?).

2. How large a generator I need (gas or diesel?)

3. How to combine generator and shore power in electrical system. (And leaving room to add solar power later)

I guess I don't know the correct keywords to adequately find what I'm looking for on the forums through a search engine.

Any suggestions?

bandman894
Old 10-28-2017, 02:44 PM   #32
Traveling

Quote:
I have been sitting here reading about wiring on the forum and just can't figure out a way to estimate

1. how much a/c I need (1 or 2 units? How many BTUs?).

more than you think. Mini Split by Mitsubishi sounds nice. 26K BTU? What insulation/window delete?

2. How large a generator I need (gas or diesel?)

diesel is ideal- no separate fuel source/less volatile/stores longer.
look at auctions for 3 kw military diesel.

3. How to combine generator and shore power in electrical system. (And leaving room to add solar power later)

Search: transfer switch

I guess I don't know the correct keywords to adequately find what I'm looking for on the forums through a search engine.

Any suggestions?

bandman894

Gotta put something here, I guess.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:18 PM   #33

Greetings from California

Hi everyone. My husband and I are new to this world. We have been talking about retirement the last year and starting to put together a bucket list. (1) A small car (Honda CRV is our favorite) to get around in and carry our four Basset Hounds in comfort. (2) I don't want to live out the rest of my life next to d***head so some other, smaller place or mobile is on the table. (3) Planning to transfer to a different career path which will boost my retirement income. Not in that order.

I'm almost 60 and my husband over. I'm thinking to retire by age 67. He is already on SS but still working at a job he hates. I know, he tells me every day. Mine is a pain in the a** too. Have been there 27 years now. No further advantage after 33 years, so the finish line is fast approaching. Need to get moving on my transfer plans.

Anyway, keeping this short. This is just a little intro. Happy Skooling, everyone
Lythande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Would love to hear any advice about removal of ceiling in the bus. We are not going to live in the bus. Our primary use will be summertime vacations mostly under 2 weeks. We live in the south and I'm not sure the effort is worth the return if I'm pretty sure the factory insulation is intact. What are your thoughts? Also, along with that, if I pull up the metal floor and the sub floor is decent, do I need to go any further considering my area of the country and our intended use?

bandman894