Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 01:09 PM   #1

New to this

Hello to everyone. I am attempting to buy a partially converted school bus. My plan is to sell my house and travel with my husband. We live in Mississippi and went to a public park nearby to inquire about parking our bus there. We were told that Mississippi does not allow Skoolies at any of their public parks. This has given us second thoughts about the whole idea of traveling in a converted bus. We cannot afford the type of RV that you typically see at parks nor do we like them. The converted school bus is what we would prefer. We would welcome any advice that the members here could give.

Kriskurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:47 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
We were told that Mississippi does not allow Skoolies at any of their public parks
Told by who? Someone's cousin's brotherinlaw? Or someone who actually works at one and would know?
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:13 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Never ask just do, make them come to you, It's always better to ask for forgivness than to ask for permission
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:55 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriskurt View Post
We were told that Mississippi does not allow Skoolies at any of their public parks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
Told by who? Someone's cousin's brotherinlaw? Or someone who actually works at one and would know?
When it comes down to it, talk to the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fishing and Parks. I looked at the regulations (pdf format) off their website, and it says nothing specific about skoolies (which shouldn't surprise me). However, Section C, Para 5 (below) may be spun as the prohibition-
Quote:
Originally Posted by RULE 1.2 GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR STATE PARKS.
RV campsite rental includes, but is not limited to, fishing & boat launch. These activities are limited to the registered number of guest per RV campsite not to exceed 8 people. Visitors of the RV camping guests must pay for all entrance and activities. Call park for activities not included.
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:12 AM   #5
Bus Nut

I don't know how Mississippi works it, but we camp at a state park in RI where the management is actually sublet by the state to a private firm. The owner is all kinds of cranky with guests and maintenance is usually nowhere to be found - the showers are straight out of a horror movie. We still go there because it's a family tradition and it's right near the beach, but guests are always getting into disagreements with him and contacting the State for resolution. He'll often claim some state regulation that doesn't exist and has to be proven wrong. (The state folks almost always side with the campers, but it sucks that this is the only way to get it resolved.)

Not saying it's the same situation - but you could totally see it happening.
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:30 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Many of our local state parks in the Ocala Forest area are privately run too.
The management are really rude. They kicked us out for bringing in our own water. Apparently they were trying to make outside refreshments a no-no.
You have to buy their water in an "approved container". Their plastic containers are superior to gallon jugs somehow.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote