Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #1

New user looking for technical info

My girlfriend and I are looking to buy a bus that is less than 34feet in length and with an engine and tranny setup that can cruise at at least 60mph ideally 65mph. What should I look for or what can I get that I can swap rear end gears to get a higher cruise speed? Thanks

ParksNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:38 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
The cumulative recomendation here is to buy the right bus the first time because making revisions, such as rear end gears, can cost as much as the bus purchase.

You're not asking for things that are difficult to find. Your bus selection process should be fairly easy. How far are you willing to travel to get the right bus?

You should follow the "Non-affiliated buses for sale thread" to possibly find your right bus. That thread usually has good buses listed, although the odd find themselves there too occasionally.

If you fill in more of your profile, such as location, people will usually go out of their way to bring buses that fit your needs to your attention in your area.

Good luck.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:47 AM   #3

Ideally I would want a bus that is ready for the road. I live in Indianapolis Indiana I think I would be willing to travel about 200-300 miles in any directions for the right bus.

What is a non-affiliated bus?

I found a few heavy equipment dealerships around my general area that stock a bunch of used buses. In your experience can you just "buy" one from a dealer or are there legal issues? Also I don't have a CDL , I understand that if I get the bus re-titled as an RV I won't need a CDL and insurance will be easier to get.

What kind of buses do you have?

Are buses practical to drive cross country with a lot of mountains and hills during a trip?

We are debating between getting a decent used A class or C class RV or getting a diesel bus and building exactly what we need on the inside. We have done restorations on vintage campers and such so I know how to build an interior.

Thanks I appreciate any advice
ParksNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:05 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParksNation View Post
Ideally I would want a bus that is ready for the road. I live in Indianapolis Indiana I think I would be willing to travel about 200-300 miles in any directions for the right bus.

What is a non-affiliated bus?

I found a few heavy equipment dealerships around my general area that stock a bunch of used buses. In your experience can you just "buy" one from a dealer or are there legal issues? Also I don't have a CDL , I understand that if I get the bus re-titled as an RV I won't need a CDL and insurance will be easier to get.

What kind of buses do you have?

Are buses practical to drive cross country with a lot of mountains and hills during a trip?

We are debating between getting a decent used A class or C class RV or getting a diesel bus and building exactly what we need on the inside. We have done restorations on vintage campers and such so I know how to build an interior.

Thanks I appreciate any advice
non affliiated bus for sale page is just individuals here posting links of busses we see for sale on auction sites, craigslist, dealers, etc.. dealers themselves dont post in there.. though occasionally an individual will post their own bus for sale in there...

you can buy a bus at a dealer like Midwest Transit , buscrazy.net etc but will likely pay way more than you would at an auction like publicsurplus.com, govdeals.com, onlinepros.com and others.. (many dealers get their busses from the same auctions we can bid on).

alot depends on how far you are willing to travel to get a bus, your budget, timeline, etc.. going the auction route can often net you a great bus at a great price but you need patience to wait for the right ones to bid on to come along in your geographic radius of travel.. its a little tougher if your timeline is tight and how stringent your guideliens are in regards to drivetrain type, size, etc...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote