Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 84 pass 36200 gvw
Post Newbie

Hi everyone,
I've been a lurker on and off for about a year. Found this site by accident when I was still vaguely thinking about converting a bus. The enthusiasm of the members of this site convinced me this was something I could try.
I was watching local auctions (mostly school buses) just to get a feel for prices when a local (same state) district put up 15 to 20 buses at once. The two that I thought I would want went over $5000 in a hurry (a bit over my projected budget). Checked back a couple of hours before the auction ended and found that several were still under $1000. So to make a long story shorter I put in a bid and got one for >$800. Frankly I didn't know whether to be excited or dismayed! My wife looked at me like I was nuts when I told her we were going to pick-up a school bus.
Fortunately there were no major incidents on the 70 mile drive home, but man is that sucker long. Adding a toad on the end I think will pretty much convince me I don't really want to drive much in town or especially cities except on freeways.

snonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:59 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Nice to have you, and glad you made it home safe.
I think you'll get a lot more used to driving it and after you get comfortable you'll forget how big it is. After an 800 mile trip home in mine I felt like I could drive it anywhere.
I got into a fender bender in my first bus many moons ago. Was stressful and embarrassing. Also a bit expensive. Literally wrecked it pulling out into traffic for the first time.
This FE Type D I have now rides a lot better than my old bus, and it maneuvers so much easier.
Post up some pics when you can!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:16 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Nice and welcome aboard!!..

drive your new skoolie around in the type of places you plan to take it when converted.. to make sure it will work for you.. and that nothing is major league wrong.. it sounds like a real SCORE! to get a working running bus for your price.. and it does happen... certain busses bring high dollars for dealers or exporters or because someone has their heart totally set on it and bids one up not knowing what a bus normally would cost...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hello | First Steps »