Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #1

Hey Guys... new to the scene. I've dreamed for years of converting a bus. We have 5 littles, ages 4, 5, 6, 7, & 8. We are looking at a 1990 BB, just wondering what a fair price is for one that is this old. I wasn't able to get any info on the motor today, so I know that's not a lot of info to go on....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jewashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:44 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Welcome!

I got nuthin' to offer as to a fair price until we see motor/trans specs, but I got a name suggestion for a cool bus with so many little 'uns : "Romper Zoom".

But seriously, WELCOME!
Old 01-12-2017, 03:43 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Without knowing how many miles, which power package, and which options it is hard to make a guess.

At a guess I would say it most likely has the 190 HP Cummins 5.9L with the AT540 transmission.

Some of those buses came with hydraulic brakes and some with air brakes. Air brakes are more desirable than hydraulic brakes.

It has 9" windows that are not tinted but it does have a white roof.

Typical mileage for a bus of that vintage would be in the 250K-350K range.

High range asking price on a bus like that would be $5,000.00. At that price it would need to have air brakes and lower mileage. Hydraulic brakes and higher mileage I would put the price closer to $2,500.00.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:57 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Welcome to the CRAZIES guys. I like GreyCoyote's name idea. BTW GreyCoyote, haven't seen any pictures from Arizona yet. Did you make it?
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
Without knowing how many miles, which power package, and which options it is hard to make a guess.

At a guess I would say it most likely has the 190 HP Cummins 5.9L with the AT540 transmission.

Some of those buses came with hydraulic brakes and some with air brakes. Air brakes are more desirable than hydraulic brakes.

It has 9" windows that are not tinted but it does have a white roof.

Typical mileage for a bus of that vintage would be in the 250K-350K range.

High range asking price on a bus like that would be $5,000.00. At that price it would need to have air brakes and lower mileage. Hydraulic brakes and higher mileage I would put the price closer to $2,500.00.

Thank you. I will try to get more info this weekend. It said 150k miles.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:16 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome...and also determine what its' speed capability might be. There are an awful lot of skoolies that will not go over 45-50 mph due to gearing and rpm limits. Making the jump to actual "highway speeds" can be crazy expensive.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Welcome...and also determine what its' speed capability might be. There are an awful lot of skoolies that will not go over 45-50 mph due to gearing and rpm limits. Making the jump to actual "highway speeds" can be crazy expensive.

How do I determine this?

Old 01-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if you can get its VIN you can call Bluebird and see if they can give you the engine / trans and rear end gears of it.. you can look at the tire sizes yourself if you have physical access to it.. and then the top speed can be calculated.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:38 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Simplest way is to drive it. But, if that is not an option, you can use the calculator below ( but...you have to have all the right numbers to plug in).

Engine RPM Calculator
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewashin View Post
Thank you. I will try to get more info this weekend. It said 150k miles.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:50 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
With the 5.9L diesel engine, rebuilds and repairs will be super cheap, but there will be a lack of power going up hills. If the bus has the better 643 transmission, then its worth more than the 545. The 643 locks up to give better mileage at higher speeds. The 545 lacks the lock up. To give you a comparison, my bus is equipped with the 3208 Cat engine (10.6L) with a 643 transmission. I paid $2K for her with 172K miles on her. The Cat engine is larger, develops more torque, but is more expensive to repair/overhaul than the 5.9L. For me, having been a semi-truck owner/operator having three Cat engines gone over 1 MILLION miles each, it was a super easy sell. Others say avoid the Cat, but I adore them. With the limited information provided, lacking the transmission detail - figuring it's a 545 - I'd value that bus at $2250 give or take a few dollars one way or the other. Just my opinion....
Old 01-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
With the 5.9L diesel engine, rebuilds and repairs will be super cheap, but there will be a lack of power going up hills. If the bus has the better 643 transmission, then its worth more than the 545. The 643 locks up to give better mileage at higher speeds. The 545 lacks the lock up. To give you a comparison, my bus is equipped with the 3208 Cat engine (10.6L) with a 643 transmission. I paid $2K for her with 172K miles on her. The Cat engine is larger, develops more torque, but is more expensive to repair/overhaul than the 5.9L. For me, having been a semi-truck owner/operator having three Cat engines gone over 1 MILLION miles each, it was a super easy sell. Others say avoid the Cat, but I adore them. With the limited information provided, lacking the transmission detail - figuring it's a 545 - I'd value that bus at $2250 give or take a few dollars one way or the other. Just my opinion....

I think I can get it for $1,200-1,500...