Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2019, 09:17 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Conventional
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 28 passenger
Talking Newbie Bus Owner

Thanks for a great go-to forum!!!

I'm so EXCITED!!!! I just got my bus. I bring it home December. It's a 1994 International 3800 Diesel...I named it Mirakel-N-Moshion...In my head I have BIG BIG Dreams for Mirakel, however, I am keeping a steady head about it. I'm giving myself about 1.5 years (no hurry), I want it done the way I want it done...The must haves:

1. Safety
2. Functionality
3. Self-Sustainability
4. Comfort (All weather)
5. Electricity (solar/back-up generator/
6. Hot/Cold running water
7. Shower/Toilet
8. Extremely comfy bed
9. Wifi

My dream list

1. 2ft Roof raise
2. Sky window over shower & bed
3. Deck
4. Side awning
5. Small Green house (lol)
6. Alarm system
7. Personalized paint job

I used to travel/camp in my car, taking truck stop showers (some of the best hot showers)...being in motion (n-moshion), camping/traveling is the goal, while being totally self-sustaining.

I'm totally open for conversation, ideas, suggestions, how-to's, etc...about bus life and conversions....

Mirakel

Mirakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Why the BIG roof raise?
Its hard enough driving on normal city streets at standard height. Tree branches and comcast cables everywhere.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:48 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
X 2 on 2 foot raise!

You've obviously got a sizeable budget to work from, and that's what will be needed for such an ambitious project in a relatively short timeframe. Just so you know.

Even if you don't have wheelbarrows of $$ to throw at it don't get discouraged and just do things to get by with, over the more luxurious mods you have in mind for now.
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:52 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Why the BIG roof raise?
Its hard enough driving on normal city streets at standard height. Tree branches and comcast cables everywhere.
I wonder the same thing. I don't see significant benefit to going beyond 12" myself.

I went up 8" on my first bus and was prepared to go up as much as 12" on my Bluebird. We took it up 8" and looked it over. Then 9" and 10". At 10" it was perfect (for me).

If you happen to have skoolies in your area or want to attend one of the get togethers then you can look at what others have done firsthand before you break out the angle grinder.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Best of luck with your time frame estimation.

How did you arrive at that with such a "wantlist"?

Poor or no planning will double or triple the work involved.

Many decisions to make and arise as you proceed.

One can only do so much in a day but days come that you need to be a mechanic, plumber, electrician, bodyman etc.

Have you the ability to pull the job off or not?

You have to do it all and then you build it your way, of course with lots of help on this site.

John
Old 11-07-2019, 11:31 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I wonder the same thing. I don't see significant benefit to going beyond 12" myself.

I went up 8" on my first bus and was prepared to go up as much as 12" on my Bluebird. We took it up 8" and looked it over. Then 9" and 10". At 10" it was perfect (for me).

If you happen to have skoolies in your area or want to attend one of the get togethers then you can look at what others have done firsthand before you break out the angle grinder.

How do you find Skoolie Get-Togethers? I would love to find others near me doing the same thing.
cofrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofrari View Post
How do you find Skoolie Get-Togethers? I would love to find others near me doing the same thing.
Google "tiny home and skoolie event"

Also, hang out here. Discussions regarding upcoming events are common.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:24 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Why the BIG roof raise?
That's a great thought provoking question! I'm 4'11'', and I can touch my bus ceiling just as is. A 2ft roof raise will take up to 7' height....however, if, (based on professional opinion), that's too high, I'll make adjustments.

I'm very open and nothing is set in cement for me....
Old 11-07-2019, 12:29 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Talking

I arrived at my want list my viewing and studying bus builds for over a 3yr period. Before I bought my bus, I did research, research, research...however, we'll see as we go along...

BTW, my dad is a retired builder. He was contracted to build quite a few city buildings and custom homes...He and my brother will help with the build....

I'm going take the time to build it the way I want it. So if 1.5 years is too soon, then it'll be 2yrs...I am in no rush.

Thanks for responding
Old 11-07-2019, 12:31 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirakel View Post
That's a great thought provoking question! I'm 4'11'', and I can touch my bus ceiling just as is. A 2ft roof raise will take up to 7' height....however, if, (based on professional opinion), that's too high, I'll make adjustment.

I'm very open and nothing is set in cement for me....
Most buses are in the 6'3" to 6' 6". A 2ft raise would leave you with an 8' ceiling. Most do a roof raise to get needed headroom. If you're only 4'11" what are you looking to gain with such a high roof raise?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
X 2 on 2 foot raise!

You've obviously got a sizeable budget to work from, and that's what will be needed for such an ambitious project in a relatively short timeframe. Just so you know.

Even if you don't have wheelbarrows of $$ to throw at it don't get discouraged and just do things to get by with, over the more luxurious mods you have in mind for now.
What I have is time...I'm in absolutely no rush to get it done the way I want to get it done...as far as money is concerned, I'm okay in that area too..

However, I'm very open to what will actually happen compared to what I want to happen
Old 11-07-2019, 12:40 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Most buses are in the 6'3" to 6' 6". A 2ft raise would leave you with an 8' ceiling. Most do a roof raise to get needed headroom. If you're only 4'11" what are you looking to gain with such a high roof raise?
I have big ideas....I see this is a very serious question...breathe through it...maybe I'll go with 22 inches....lol lol....not looking to gain anything...I just want what I want...blame it on loftiness.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:09 PM   #13
Skoolie

Depending on where you're at, a roof raise may make you ineligible for insurance, so you might want to look into that. Same for stuff on the roof aside from solar panels/sky lights.

M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirakel View Post
I have big ideas....I see this is a very serious question...breathe through it...maybe I'll go with 22 inches....lol lol....not looking to gain anything...I just want what I want...blame it on loftiness.
Still missing what your goal is? Most raise for headroom, you haven't answered why you want a tall ceiling when it creates as many if not more negatives than it gains.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:25 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Still missing what your goal is? Most raise for headroom, you haven't answered why you want a tall ceiling when it creates as many if not more negatives than it gains.
My better half is 6' 11" and the head room would feel more open to us.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I appreciate your response. What are the negatives of a roof raise? I may have totally overlooked that bit of information. I tend to stay away from negative thoughts, words, energy and people. The glass is always half full and everything always works out for me. That's my motto.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:34 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutphinins View Post
Depending on where you're at, a roof raise may make you ineligible for insurance, so you might want to look into that. Same for stuff on the roof aside from solar panels/sky lights.
Thank you for alerting me to insurance concerns, I have that and all the other dreamy-wants, on my checklist to present to my agent. It will all work out!!
Old 11-07-2019, 06:54 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I'm planning to have the generator and solar as well, but not from the first. I'll do my research and put the brackets and connections in for it, but as a rough estimate the setup I want for those will be at least 16k. 8 for solar and 8 for generator.

Also I plan on doing a smaller roof raise in the front, and then a 2nd section closer to the back up to the full 13' 6", so I can loft my bed and have a bit of extra room. The extra top will be offset with large water storage under the bus and battery weight. Hopefully that will keep the center of gravity lower. Planning for that now, but I may change my mind. I don't really need to live in a bus, but I just want to build one as a hobby. So I'm not as constrained by driving on city streets. I've got about 10 acres where I live now, and will probably just leave it there for a long time. Maybe let one of my kids live in it if they need a place to stay.
neversayneverbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:30 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Don't we all dream big? hehehe
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #20

Question 3800 user manual or hand break location

Good day Mirakel,
Your gave the idea to convert mine.
I bough a small business and a 3800 / 1992 came with it. Low Miles and a strong V8 diesel. I didn't figure out where the hand break is located ! Do you have a user manual with your's or can you point me to a link ?
Thank
marathonhotel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buslife, conversions, dreambus, newbie bus owner, project planning