Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2019, 01:47 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Smile Newbie, excited to join the Skoolie community

Hey hey everyone. I've been watching from the wings the last few weeks and soaking up the wealth of knowledge and experience from this group. This site is awesome!

My name is Molly and I'm new to all of this. I woke up one day last month and realized I was miserable, so I quit my cushy job as a strategy execution consultant to follow my childhood dream of being an artist (and the huge pay-cut that comes with that dream ).

Over the last month, as I planned my new life as an artist, I stumbled upon the concept of a Skoolie. Wow! The concept sure has changed a lot over the last 20 years or so...back in 1997 when I was in college, converting a school bus into a livable space meant throwing a futon and some tapestries in the back. I'm so glad things have evolved!

I am sold on the idea of living on the road...living everywhere and nowhere at the same time. My thought is to travel around for 6-12 months and then pick a spot to buy a bit of land where I can set up a "home base" with a storage container house that I can always go back to (the next project! )

I have a lot to learn but I'm researching every day and determined to make this a reality. I'm very grateful to learn from those who have went before and I'll continue to rely on the expertise and advice of others.

My biggest concern is I don't have anyone to help me with the conversion. I have a friend with land and a shop full of tools and she may let me do the conversion there, but I'll be doing all of the work myself. I'm pretty handy and have the mind of an engineer, so I'm confident I can learn, but I'm sure it will be tough and I'm guessing there are some things I simply won't be able to do without another set of hands. I don't have a huge budget so I'll have to limit hired hands. So, that's a bit of an unknown but I don't want that to stop me from going after this. Any advice for a solo builder is welcome!

After researching, I think I'd like a RE 35-footer. Ideally a Cummins 8.3, MD3060 or MT643 Thomas. My first goal is to secure the place to do the conversion, and then I can shop in earnest. While I'm waiting to secure the conversion space, I'm researching everything and also mocking up floor plans to determine what all I want in my space. The fun part

I'm looking forward to "getting to know" you all!

MollyCMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
welcome to the jungle!!!! and welcome fellow BuckEye!

definitely take your time and find a place to do your conversion where you can tear things apart and put them back together on your own schedule...

plan out your finances on where you will park during your 6-12 months of travelling.. how you'll buy fuel, make repairs if needed, research places to park in the areas of the country you think about travelling..

most of all have fun at this!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
welcome to the jungle!!!! and welcome fellow BuckEye!

definitely take your time and find a place to do your conversion where you can tear things apart and put them back together on your own schedule...

plan out your finances on where you will park during your 6-12 months of travelling.. how you'll buy fuel, make repairs if needed, research places to park in the areas of the country you think about travelling..

most of all have fun at this!

-Christopher
Thanks cadillackid! I'm def researching all the stuff you mentioned above. Thanks for the advice!

And go Bucks!!!
Old 01-27-2019, 04:10 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Welcome to the site......sounds like your research is going well. Keep reading, because the answer to every question you could possible have is on here somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyCMo View Post

And go Bucks!!!
We're gonna have to get a bigger cage to contain all these Buckeyes.....

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:19 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Welcome to the site......sounds like your research is going well. Keep reading, because the answer to every question you could possible have is on here somewhere.

We're gonna have to get a bigger cage to contain all these Buckeyes.....
:rofl