Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-03-2019, 04:03 PM   #11
Bus Nut
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 823
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/editpo...tpost&p=317799


While governed in the computer the gearing will still limit the top speed.
Yes sir you are correct.
But ever since they went to a computerized version they are driving them hear into my county on the interstates at interstate speed and turning them down to county specified speed in the computer.
So obviously it isn't the gearing holding the newer NC buses back like they did with my 86 NC bus.
Is what I was really trying to say
Take your time,read,read,red,learn before you spend the money.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #12
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 17,990
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I think they order them geared low since they aren't intended for highway speeds.
Unless they're trip buses.
We should find out!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:43 PM   #13
Skoolie
 
geminusprime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 247
Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E / AT545
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I think they order them geared low since they aren't intended for highway speeds.
Unless they're trip buses.
We should find out!
They are geared low, for example mine maxes out at 60MPH at 2700RPM on a good day.


However they are also computer limited, just ask them at the district to remove the limits which usually are set 45 or 50 (in the buses I checked out at least).


I looked at buses in the following counties which all offered to remove the speed limits in the computer:


Union
Forsyth
Morre
Transylvania
Union
Haywood
Jackson
Henderson


I got mine in Union, and took them all of 10 minutes and a test drive to remove the 45MPH limit. I would suggest making sure prior to purchase they are able to, just to be on the safe side.


I assume you're on their website, generally they are able to answer any questions via the phone number listed on each bus entry.



All this being said, every single darn one I saw and even the one I ended up buying has the AT545 slip-o-matic.
geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:02 PM   #14
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 17,990
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminusprime View Post
They are geared low, for example mine maxes out at 60MPH at 2700RPM on a good day.


However they are also computer limited, just ask them at the district to remove the limits which usually are set 45 or 50 (in the buses I checked out at least).


I looked at buses in the following counties which all offered to remove the speed limits in the computer:


Union
Forsyth
Morre
Transylvania
Union
Haywood
Jackson
Henderson


I got mine in Union, and took them all of 10 minutes and a test drive to remove the 45MPH limit. I would suggest making sure prior to purchase they are able to, just to be on the safe side.


I assume you're on their website, generally they are able to answer any questions via the phone number listed on each bus entry.



All this being said, every single darn one I saw and even the one I ended up buying has the AT545 slip-o-matic.
Even if they remove the electronic limiter if the gearing is LOW its pretty miserable for most of us.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:57 PM   #15
Bus Nut
 
Mountain Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 382
Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby987 View Post
1990 Bluebird TC/2000 FE, cummins 5.9, AT545, 80k miles, rebuilt transmission, 30' bumper to bumper, $4k (delivered)

I like this one, if it has an e-door on the driver's side.


The bus I was looking for - saw one in SoCal for $10,000...but got the TC-1000 FE instead.


The TC-2000 will have better off-road clearance than my TC-1000, good space inside for the length.


The motor will easily convert to veggie oil, whereas my late-1999/2000 model year won't.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Seven Springs, NC
Posts: 39
Year: 2007
Engine: CAT C7202
My father was a NC public school bus garage mechanic and I can tell you what he told me. NC public school bus garage services all buses before putting it up for market unless it has a bad engine or tranny. Any bus with potential bad engine or tranny will not be serviced and it will be informed in the sale. Price vary depending on condition of bus so if it is $4,000-6,000 then thatís because bus has good tires and is in better condition than that going at $2,000 (most likely due to tires almost bald or so). And yes it is easy to obtain maintenance record.

Iíd go for activity bus as its set at 55-60 while most are at 45-55.

Good buses usually sell faster it can be hard to get them. School is closing soon so now would be good time to start inquire around to get a feeling what they think might hit the market this summer. Its easy to tell if you will expect it to be in $3,000-4,000 range by looking at it now and do a research if it is something you want to buy or not. Then bus should hit the market in July or August when schools get new buses and put old one up for sale.

I wanted the bus that was 60 ft with wheelchair lifter but the damn bank took one day longer to get my fund available and the bus was sold before I could get my cash out.. it was sold for 3,000 and there was no other wheelchair lifter available so I settled on 28í one for $1500 from other state.

Good luck!
Wkheathjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:49 PM   #17
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,781
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wkheathjr View Post
My father was a NC public school bus garage mechanic and I can tell you what he told me. NC public school bus garage services all buses before putting it up for market unless it has a bad engine or tranny. Any bus with potential bad engine or tranny will not be serviced and it will be informed in the sale. Price vary depending on condition of bus so if it is $4,000-6,000 then that’s because bus has good tires and is in better condition than that going at $2,000 (most likely due to tires almost bald or so). And yes it is easy to obtain maintenance record.

I’d go for activity bus as its set at 55-60 while most are at 45-55.

Good buses usually sell faster it can be hard to get them. School is closing soon so now would be good time to start inquire around to get a feeling what they think might hit the market this summer. Its easy to tell if you will expect it to be in $3,000-4,000 range by looking at it now and do a research if it is something you want to buy or not. Then bus should hit the market in July or August when schools get new buses and put old one up for sale.

I wanted the bus that was 60 ft with wheelchair lifter but the damn bank took one day longer to get my fund available and the bus was sold before I could get my cash out.. it was sold for 3,000 and there was no other wheelchair lifter available so I settled on 28’ one for $1500 from other state.

Good luck!
60', really? I would look out west and find the same buses in better shape with no rust for half those prices.
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:54 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Seven Springs, NC
Posts: 39
Year: 2007
Engine: CAT C7202
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
60', really? I would look out west and find the same buses in better shape with no rust for half those prices.
Depend on how you look at it. As I said, all buses are serviced before putting up for sale. Thatís fresh oil, coolant, tranny fluid, filters, and with good threads on tires.

VS

Cost of bus out of state, airfare cost, fuel cost, then have to service your bus when get it home.
Wkheathjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:26 PM   #19
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 17,990
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wkheathjr View Post
My father was a NC public school bus garage mechanic and I can tell you what he told me. NC public school bus garage services all buses before putting it up for market unless it has a bad engine or tranny. Any bus with potential bad engine or tranny will not be serviced and it will be informed in the sale. Price vary depending on condition of bus so if it is $4,000-6,000 then thatís because bus has good tires and is in better condition than that going at $2,000 (most likely due to tires almost bald or so). And yes it is easy to obtain maintenance record.

Iíd go for activity bus as its set at 55-60 while most are at 45-55.

Good buses usually sell faster it can be hard to get them. School is closing soon so now would be good time to start inquire around to get a feeling what they think might hit the market this summer. Its easy to tell if you will expect it to be in $3,000-4,000 range by looking at it now and do a research if it is something you want to buy or not. Then bus should hit the market in July or August when schools get new buses and put old one up for sale.

I wanted the bus that was 60 ft with wheelchair lifter but the damn bank took one day longer to get my fund available and the bus was sold before I could get my cash out.. it was sold for 3,000 and there was no other wheelchair lifter available so I settled on 28í one for $1500 from other state.

Good luck!
You won't find any 60 footers.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:27 PM   #20
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 17,990
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wkheathjr View Post
Depend on how you look at it. As I said, all buses are serviced before putting up for sale. Thatís fresh oil, coolant, tranny fluid, filters, and with good threads on tires.

VS

Cost of bus out of state, airfare cost, fuel cost, then have to service your bus when get it home.
Factor in regearing if interstate travel is in the plans.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.