Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2017, 12:13 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Newbie from North Dakota

Hello Everyone

I've been hunting this site for two or three months now, I must say that the information is invaluable. been copy-paste into a skoolie notebook. And with the information have pretty much figured out what to be on the look for.
I'm thinking this is going to be a two year project, and then I can take an early retirement. I hope to retire at 62, have the bus done and head out to the west coast.

I hope to make new friends here in the forum, and get more information from you all.
Be talking to you all...
Rob

North Plains Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:25 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Welcome Rob,

lets find some busses!!
LincolnEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thank You for the Welcome.

Rob
Old 03-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome

Another of us on the low ball retirement plan? It's a good plan anyway you look at it. It's a fun build while getting to know your rig. I'd much rather fix up a bus than try to fix a motorhome, but somehow a motorhome is still more acceptable than a well done bus.

So what's your plan so far? What size bus are you thinking of or do you already have something?
Old 03-18-2017, 01:20 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Robin and Thank You for the welcome.

Let's see, right now my wife and I live in a 36 ft. Pace Arrow RV. We been in an RV for about 15-16 years now. I work Road Construction as a Dozer Operator in gravel pits. We basically move all over the state of ND where ever the need for gravel or hot mix (asphalt) material needs to be made.

Maybe about 4-5 months ago my wife suggested to me to consider, "let's build one the way we want it" as we've never been happy with any of the RV floor plans always to much cluttering up things.

We want to basically do the "KISS" approach, an open floor plan, no separate designated bedroom (futon next to the wall) wood stove, and a storage area in the rear for stuff, and dredging equipment as that's what I hope to do after retiring go gold prospecting and a "Skoolie" would fit SO Well into that idea of life.

From the information I've been gleaning from this site. we've decided that we're going to be looking for an 84 passenger Blue bird I'm still undecided on a FE or RE, but for sure we need the 40 ft length. I run Cat engines all day while on dozer I like the power, but know they are way to expensive when the need to fix them. While I spent a few years OTR trucking I fell in Love with the Cummins engine and prefer it with thoughts of powering a bus. I think the 8.3 will fit the bill nicely.

So for right now I just keep reading the post here, copy-paste the good ideas into a skoolie notes book and for now just keep plugging along.

think I'm getting to long-winded,
again thanks for the welcome, it feels like "home"

Rob
Old 12-11-2017, 09:07 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Hello! I'm in North Dakota too! Looking to buy a bus pretty soon
Jamie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:41 PM   #7
Bus Geek

That's interesting because I was just talking to a guy a few weeks back that bought three buses and took them to ND.

I guess all the buses have been bought up around there, or ND kids have to walk to school. I think they've been used for housing for the pipeline workers.

There are all the normal places you'd look for a bus, like craigslist (CL) and other advertisements. Usually the people that are selling on CL buy buses at the auctions and sell them at a prifit. We like buying at the auctions too because they're cheaper, but there's always a risk too. You got to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your... princess bus?

Figure out what you definitely have to have as well as things you definitely don't want in a bus. There is a "Non-affiliated Buses for Sale" thread where we list buses that either are interestingly unusual or because they look like a good deal.

Watch Public Surplus, GovDeals and any other auctions. Another question is how far are you willing to travel to get the right bus? Some people drive across the country. There have been a number of buses for sale on this site too lately.

Discussions with other members should help you get into the right buses.

Good luck with your search.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:04 PM   #8
Bus Geek

40 footer anybody?

https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/au...78&trackId=303