Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2019, 05:09 PM   #1

Newbie from Toronto, Canada

Hey everyone!

I’m new here and from Toronto, Canada.......about to embark on converting a shirt school bus soon into a livable workable space......are there any other artists/illustrators out there with little studio set ups inside their busses?

Holler at me

chrisaustinart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Welcome aboard!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:23 PM   #3
Skoolie

Chassis: GMC 3500 Thomas
Engine: 6.0 L GAS
haha......like minds...……...I'm in Oakville myself / artist illustrator....motorcycle nut and singer songwriter. That's the plan for me too......a wandering office space !

I haven't started my interior yet but the bus is painted and currently getting a roof rack and extended bumper.I want a pretty normal sized desk and computer workstation for long days working... …..so I need good solar and a wifi boost antennae. I'm a bit concerned about road vibration on the computer too....have to think about softening the ride between stops.

Keep me updated.....I'm curious how yours is going !
skidfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:05 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidfrog View Post
I'm a bit concerned about road vibration on the computer too....have to think about softening the ride between stops.
Hi there!

that's a legitimate concern, but just make sure you have a solid state hard drive. Most of them are these days I think? Also, fasten it to something solid so it doesn't bounce around twice as much as the bus. I work on relatively small boats along coastal Alaska. We beat the crap out of our computers...vibration and salty air. Some folks spend thousands on fancy computers that say " built for the professional mariner" on them. My Surface & the common desktop we use for navigation has lasted 3 years.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:03 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
As an extra voice on the matter of computer vibrations: are you talking about a laptop or desktop computer?
Both can withstand vibration while turned off without a problem. On a desktop computer you'll want to be certain all the screws are tight. It's not uncommon for someone to insert a PCIe card or the back cover without putting the screws back in.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:35 AM   #6
Skoolie

Chassis: GMC 3500 Thomas
Engine: 6.0 L GAS
Thanks for the replies on vibration !.....I was considering buying a new PC soon anyway because my current one is over 5 yrs now. I have a surface pro 3 as well . I would like an iMac to save space by having a monitor and computer all in one ....but I'd have to go through re-registering all my software ....and I NEED a CD/DVD drive. I don't know what kind of power I'm using with 2 monitors and a tower PC but I work long days...so I'm guessing I need a lot of solar. Or maybe I should just work shorter days !!
skidfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:42 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36

Sounds like a plan. One more note: be sure it's well secured when on the road in case you have to apply the brakes hard or hit a big bump. Vibrations should be fine, but you don't want it flying into the air!

Another thing to be aware of is that laptops typically consume much less electricity than desktop computers. This may be a consideration if you plan on working off of battery power. External USB CD/DVD writers are reasonably priced if you can't find a laptop with a built-in one. They are becoming a rare breed.

Tags
art, short bus conversion, studio