Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Newbie here

Hello all. My name is Danny. I have grown up in my dad's auto body. For the last 15+ years we have been doing body and paint repairs on rvs.

My dad is a jack of all trades and passed that down to me. In the last 3 years I have been working on luxury coach's mainly country coach's. I have been doing systems repairs on those and learning a whole bunch. These have got me thinking about buying a fixer upper but in my current situation, I couldn't even afford the maintenance.

I have never thought much about doing a conversion until recently. I got a job in at work. Anot 01 prevost that needs some interior conversion type of stuff. It really got me thinking, and researching...which is how I found this website. So far I have been glued to it.

I hope to learn a lot here and I also hope to contribute to others learning. The hardest part is getting started, and that's where I am at. As much as I would love to convert a charter bus, I don't think it is feasible for my current situation.

If anybody can direct me around this site to areas that would be a good place to start my research, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everybody.

Tegra1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:46 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Best thing I could suggest is just go into the conversion forums (there are three of them on this board) and start reading people's builds..... you'll find ideas you like really well, others not so much.... then you'll start designing your own project incorporating those ideas and others you come up with on your own.

The conversion is a journey, not a destination.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you. As far as the informational or tutorial threads, is there a better place to start than another?
Old 11-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Welcome!
I'm myself new here, however, since I joined I've learned a lot about school buses and their conversion. Personally, I began by reading the 'new posts'. This site navigation is simple, the search button allows you to find all the conversion types by typing the correct word. Hoping to benefited from your expertise on luxury coach's when the time comes.
Damel18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

(Correction) lol
Welcome!
I'm myself new here, however, since I joined I've learned a lot about school buses and their conversion. Personally, I began by reading the 'new posts'. This site navigation is simple, the search button allows you to find all the conversion types by typing the correct word. Hoping to benefited benefit from your expertise on luxury coach's when the time comes.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:33 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damel18 View Post
(Correction) lol
Welcome!
I'm myself new here, however, since I joined I've learned a lot about school buses and their conversion. Personally, I began by reading the 'new posts'. This site navigation is simple, the search button allows you to find all the conversion types by typing the correct word. Hoping to benefited benefit from your expertise on luxury coach's when the time comes.
Nice to meet you Damel, do you have a project in the works?
Old 11-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Not yet, though I intended to start one soon
Old 11-02-2016, 04:53 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegra1027 View Post
Hello all. My name is Danny. I have grown up in my dad's auto body. For the last 15+ years we have been doing body and paint repairs on rvs.

My dad is a jack of all trades and passed that down to me. In the last 3 years I have been working on luxury coach's mainly country coach's. I have been doing systems repairs on those and learning a whole bunch. These have got me thinking about buying a fixer upper but in my current situation, I couldn't even afford the maintenance.

I have never thought much about doing a conversion until recently. I got a job in at work. Anot 01 prevost that needs some interior conversion type of stuff. It really got me thinking, and researching...which is how I found this website. So far I have been glued to it.

I hope to learn a lot here and I also hope to contribute to others learning. The hardest part is getting started, and that's where I am at. As much as I would love to convert a charter bus, I don't think it is feasible for my current situation.

If anybody can direct me around this site to areas that would be a good place to start my research, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everybody.
Welcome,
Since your a paint body man we will probably have questions you can help us with as well.
I can build almost anything but I was never the finisher. My bus needs some paint. What do you think about the ceramic additive? I am looking at implement paint with a hardener and a ceramic additive?
Welcome and hope to help you as much as you can help us.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:56 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

Welcome, man! Where you located?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

In the auto body industry, ceramic additives arent very common. I would say it wouldn't hurt to try unless it's ungodly expensive. Any help to reduce the heat, cold, etc.

I am from Northern Illinois right on the lake.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:13 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
In the auto body industry, ceramic additives arent very common. I would say it wouldn't hurt to try unless it's ungodly expensive. Any help to reduce the heat, cold, etc.

I am from Northern Illinois right on the lake.
I did a year and a half of auto body school after high school. Haven't done much since then, so having you around to answer some questions will be nice.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:53 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Well I won't say I know everything, I never will. But I will do my best to help anybody. Lay it on me.

I grew up in my dad's shop. He's never been a large shop so I started at the bottom and worked my way up. I know how to do bodywork, but I'm not good at it. My expertise comes in the prep, paint, and finishing. My car was my first complete paint job when I was 17.. can't even tell you how many I have done since then.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:45 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
dang I shouldve known you when I got my first bus.. ill bet you could make a killi g painting people's skoolies for less than regular shops or bus dealers charge to do it.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:21 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Hell yea.... I'd buy the paint and kick you a few bucks to put it on professionally.... a fair rate, don't want to sound like I'm trying to lowball it here.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:29 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Well I do what I do to make money, so I don't accept low ball offers anyway, however I do work with customers budgets. If you want to bring it to me, I'd be more than happy to help you out. Whatever you want.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:57 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Will see what the budget looks like when I get to that stage.... appreciated!