Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2018, 07:18 PM   #1

Newbie Here

Hi! So excited to find this website! I'm a single mom with two kids. One will graduate in the upcoming school year. I have decided not to renew my lease next year and instead, buy a skoolie and hit the road with my 13 year old for a year. We both like adventure and camping. Having said that, I'm a little scared about buying and working on a bus. I enjoy learning and trying new things... I think it's vital to my sanity! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I am looking at purchasing a 1974 Crown. The biggest selling point for me is its steel cage. I researched rv crashes and honestly thought about just not going. Then, I found the skoolie world and Crown buses. Another selling point for me is that it has already been converted. I could make it my own but it's already ready for the road as-is. The negative is its cost... mid 20's. I'm going to include the info given in the ad. If you have any advise, my son and I would be very grateful.

Thank you!
Meleah

BUS INFO:

1974 Crown Supercoach Conversion for sale. California bus through and through. Was in service in San Jose originally but bought from district in 1990. Since then it has gone through very thorough conversion (list below) and been on only 3 long trips: California to Florida and back: mid 90s, California to Ohio and back: early 2000s, and San Diego to Seattle and back, 2010.
Mid engine Detroit 671 with 5 spd manual transmission. As close as we can tell, 350k miles. Had the engine inspected and serviced 8 months ago. Runs strong, just took it on a 300 mile day trip to Baja California Mexico Wine Country last weekend, 5/12/18. Current registration in California as a motor home and smog exempt.
2 new Goodyear G751s on Alcoa rims on the front and four slightly used Sumitomo St727's on the rear.
Custom trailer hitch and electrical connections for towing a run around or putting on your dirt bike rack.
Two little surface rust spots, one on the door, and one on the rear window hatch. All window seals in excellent condition.

Conversion done by a family friend who was a cabinet maker so all cabinets are hardwood and in bristol condition. One of the best conversions I have seen. All systems work well except for the custom under mounted Kohler generator that needs a new carb.
Conversion includes:
Laminate Flooring
Newer Upholstery
Hardwood cabinets
Duel fuel fridge and freezer (propane or electric)
4 bunks, 1 full size bed in the back, drop down dining sleeps a child, pull out bench sleeps 2, so all in all sleeps 8 or 9.
Hot water heater
Toilet and bathroom sink
Two sink kitchen sink
Water filter
Cabin air conditioner
Remote battery check and fuse panel
Black tank
Grey tank
Fresh water tank
Front bench with 2 seat belts, side facing long bench with 4 seat belts
Dual battery set-up

Asking $24K obo

Meleah2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:31 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meleah2018 View Post
Hi! So excited to find this website! I'm a single mom with two kids. One will graduate in the upcoming school year. I have decided not to renew my lease next year and instead, buy a skoolie and hit the road with my 13 year old for a year. We both like adventure and camping. Having said that, I'm a little scared about buying and working on a bus. I enjoy learning and trying new things... I think it's vital to my sanity! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I am looking at purchasing a 1974 Crown. The biggest selling point for me is its steel cage. I researched rv crashes and honestly thought about just not going. Then, I found the skoolie world and Crown buses. Another selling point for me is that it has already been converted. I could make it my own but it's already ready for the road as-is. The negative is its cost... mid 20's. I'm going to include the info given in the ad. If you have any advise, my son and I would be very grateful.

Thank you!
Meleah

BUS INFO:

1974 Crown Supercoach Conversion for sale. California bus through and through. Was in service in San Jose originally but bought from district in 1990. Since then it has gone through very thorough conversion (list below) and been on only 3 long trips: California to Florida and back: mid 90s, California to Ohio and back: early 2000s, and San Diego to Seattle and back, 2010.
Mid engine Detroit 671 with 5 spd manual transmission. As close as we can tell, 350k miles. Had the engine inspected and serviced 8 months ago. Runs strong, just took it on a 300 mile day trip to Baja California Mexico Wine Country last weekend, 5/12/18. Current registration in California as a motor home and smog exempt.
2 new Goodyear G751s on Alcoa rims on the front and four slightly used Sumitomo St727's on the rear.
Custom trailer hitch and electrical connections for towing a run around or putting on your dirt bike rack.
Two little surface rust spots, one on the door, and one on the rear window hatch. All window seals in excellent condition.

Conversion done by a family friend who was a cabinet maker so all cabinets are hardwood and in bristol condition. One of the best conversions I have seen. All systems work well except for the custom under mounted Kohler generator that needs a new carb.
Conversion includes:
Laminate Flooring
Newer Upholstery
Hardwood cabinets
Duel fuel fridge and freezer (propane or electric)
4 bunks, 1 full size bed in the back, drop down dining sleeps a child, pull out bench sleeps 2, so all in all sleeps 8 or 9.
Hot water heater
Toilet and bathroom sink
Two sink kitchen sink
Water filter
Cabin air conditioner
Remote battery check and fuse panel
Black tank
Grey tank
Fresh water tank
Front bench with 2 seat belts, side facing long bench with 4 seat belts
Dual battery set-up

Asking $24K obo
Crowns are really nice. The 5 speed with the detroit would be my last choice of the available drivetrains. The 5 speed has WIDE ratios and no OD.

For that price I'd at least look at some older MCI and Eagle conversions for comparison.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:35 AM   #3

Thanks for the advise. Are Eagles & MCI’s as safe structurally as Crowns?
Meleah2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:20 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meleah2018 View Post
Thanks for the advise. Are Eagles & MCI’s as safe structurally as Crowns?
I'm not going to debate that one.. The crown people are pretty adamant that their buses were built by the gods.

Coach buses are pretty sound, though.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:33 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Welcome to the site and good luck!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advise, crown bus conversion, newbie