Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2017, 10:17 PM   #1

Newbie in Los Angeles, Ca.

Hi everyone. My name is john and I'm a 55 year old guy looking to get a school bus and convert it.
Since I have a 97 Dodge Cummins Diesel truck I'm partial to the Cummins motor. Also prefer a stick shift.
I think I want a 30' bus but that's just a hunch. I have room to park it while I work on it.
I know nothing of electrical but am handy enough that I think I can do everything else, I think.
I'd like to get the compost toilet too.
It appears that I live in the best place for used school buses, Southern California so that's good news.
I have a house up in North Eastern, Washington state. The plan is to rent it out and hit the road on my RV convened school bus.
So I just wanted to say hello and warn you I"ll have lots of dumb questions. Thanks for letting me in.

John Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:27 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Welcome, John!

Look forward to your build! The only dumb question is the unasked one. This forum is awesome for all the help you'll get here!!!

Sandi
Living full time on my WanderLust Bus
www.thismidwifetravels.com
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
Welcome, John!

Look forward to your build! The only dumb question is the unasked one. This forum is awesome for all the help you'll get here!!!

Sandi
Living full time on my WanderLust Bus
www.thismidwifetravels.com
Thank you WanderWoman.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:32 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Newbie in Los Angeles, Ca.

We are in the same boat [emoji571]🏻minus or plus a few details ... so Welcome aboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
refinedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #5

Hi John I have a couple school buses for sale, I'm not a dealer I own a transportation company in san Francisco, CA and I bough this buses preparing to get a large contract that was not granted, anyways have some buses that you will not have to spend money in repairs. contact me if you have any question have a lot of info on buses.
schoolbusesforsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolbusesforsale View Post
Hi John I have a couple school buses for sale, I'm not a dealer I own a transportation company in san Francisco, CA and I bough this buses preparing to get a large contract that was not granted, anyways have some buses that you will not have to spend money in repairs. contact me if you have any question have a lot of info on buses.

Talk to me I"m all ears. How much $$? What kind of bus is it, engine type, and transmission and miles too please?
Old 02-09-2017, 06:12 PM   #7

feel free to contact me by email I don't know if I'm allow to put my number here again I not a dealer nor a pain in the rear end sales person
schoolbusesforsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:16 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
feel free to contact me by email I don't know if I'm allow to put my number here again I not a dealer nor a pain in the rear end sales person
I am interested in a bus! Yes more info please! I will be going through Las Vegas on my way back to California when it is time to start my conversion.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:22 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome John!!

I too am a Cummins fan. A 5.9 & NV5600 in my truck and an 8.3 & MD3060 in my Bluebird.

I am partial to manual transmissions as well. One of the buses I have seen about is pretty much my dream: Crown Bus with Cummins 855 and an RTO9910. Wouldn't that be sweet? 400hp and 10 forward gears....

Unfortunately Skoolies with manual transmissions are becoming more and more rare. I have not seen any at auction since the middle of last year.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:57 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Welcome John.

I went with the stick shift too love em. Like riding a big metal bear down the road.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #11

Quote:

What is your email address? Can you pm me your phone number and/or email address please.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Welcome John!!

I too am a Cummins fan. A 5.9 & NV5600 in my truck and an 8.3 & MD3060 in my Bluebird.

I am partial to manual transmissions as well. One of the buses I have seen about is pretty much my dream: Crown Bus with Cummins 855 and an RTO9910. Wouldn't that be sweet? 400hp and 10 forward gears....

Unfortunately Skoolies with manual transmissions are becoming more and more rare. I have not seen any at auction since the middle of last year.
Thanks Steve. While I prefer a stick I guess I'll settle for an automatic if that's all that's out there.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post
Welcome John.

I went with the stick shift too love em. Like riding a big metal bear down the road.
Thanks for the welcome.