Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #1

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Chevroley 3500
Engine: 6.5 TD Destroit Diesel
Newbie in Washington, checking in

Hey there!

Just picked up a 1998 Chevrolet G3500 built out by Thomas as an 18ft short bus! Single rear wheel, 6.5 turbo diesel, with 232k miles! Great shape even with the high miles, appears to be all mechanically sound aside from some sweating of fluids from the front.

We bought her without any passenger seats, just a simple bed the previous owner made out of plywood. We have since gutted it entirely and will begin the process of customizing it for our simple needs.

Pretty excited to turn this into a camper for doing some small excursions through the lovely Pacific Northwest.

Quick photo I snapped this morning!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170109_083007483.jpg  

Haugyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome!!

You will find quite a number of Skoolies here in Washington. We are working on the idea of a PNW Skoolie Meetup in May and most likely in the Port Townsend area.

Show us some pics of your Bus!!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:57 PM   #3

I am pretty bad about taking photos. But here is a few from the beginning of the project this weekend and where I ended

We were so relieved to tear everything up to not just find no rust, but that the entire cargo floor is also aluminum! The next step is going to be covering the floor in a rubberized paint (Flex Seal) as a moisture barrier. Putting down a thin layer of insulation, and then screwing down a plywood base. From there we will put down some peel and stick tiles or faux wood. And for the sides we will do wainscoting. This will give us a nice blank canvas to figure out how we want to do the layout of the seating/bed and kitchenette.

My main priority after floors is a 12v power supply and a shore power hook up (I better get to reading!). So we will at bare minimum have a camping rig that we can throw an air mattress in.

Can't drive it now because I removed the auxiliary rear heater and have yet to bypass the heater hoses. But a meet up in May might just be a possibility!

Welcome any and all input. What kind of rig do you have?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170114_102853900.jpg   IMG_20170114_180028811.jpg  
Old 01-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Mine is a 2002 40' Bluebird RE.

I am currently working on one about the same size as yours for my sister. When I get basic stuff in place for her then I will dive into mine.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:55 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

I think that if you use a magnet you will discover there isn't any aluminum in your bus. If it does, then it had to have been a VERY special order. Since Crown went out of business and Gillig stopped making school coaches aluminum body panels in school buses really hasn't been an option.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Welcome and we'll see you at PNWSteve's Washington skoolie meetup in may yeah? If you want any crap I got a lot of stuff I'm looking to get rid of. Propane oven/stove combo's, rv double sinks, a rooftop AC (which may or may not work), 12v converter. I would let it all go to you at whatever price you suggest.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAOLIK View Post
Welcome and we'll see you at PNWSteve's Washington skoolie meetup in may yeah? If you want any crap I got a lot of stuff I'm looking to get rid of. Propane oven/stove combo's, rv double sinks, a rooftop AC (which may or may not work), 12v converter. I would let it all go to you at whatever price you suggest.
I may have to take you up on that offer. I have never done a 12v system before so I am pretty excited/anxious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
I think that if you use a magnet you will discover there isn't any aluminum in your bus. If it does, then it had to have been a VERY special order. Since Crown went out of business and Gillig stopped making school coaches aluminum body panels in school buses really hasn't been an option.
I was pretty shocked myself, but the cargo floor is definitely aluminum. The rest of the body is sheet metal and fiberglass. But I definitely am lucky!