Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2018, 10:03 PM   #1

Newbie Looking for Thoughts/Opinions

Howdy everyone, new guy here. I've been doin a lot of readin and thinkin as of late but now I'm looking for some other people's thoughts and opinions.

1. Currently I'm getting ready to pimp out the bed of my truck so I can camp out of it. Do you think that makes the whole Skoolie idea just redundant and not really worth it? The skoolie has obvious pros like a dedicated shower/toilet/etc but still...
Do you think I should focus my time and money on a skoolie instead of my truck bed?

2. I want to be able to bring my F150 with me whereever I go since it'd be far easier when it comes to parking and those sorts of things. And frankly it seems pointless to not bring it after building out the truck bed. With that said, what do ya'll think? Should I completely scrap that idea? Maybe only bring the bus and my dual sport? But then what would I do with the truck?

3. I've heard of some campgrounds not allowing skoolies? Is this a common thing and how do you combat that? Just hunt around for one that does?
Are there any other issues like this for skoolies?

GroveStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:56 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroveStreet View Post
Howdy everyone, new guy here. I've been doin a lot of readin and thinkin as of late but now I'm looking for some other people's thoughts and opinions.

1. Currently I'm getting ready to pimp out the bed of my truck so I can camp out of it. Do you think that makes the whole Skoolie idea just redundant and not really worth it? The skoolie has obvious pros like a dedicated shower/toilet/etc but still...
Do you think I should focus my time and money on a skoolie instead of my truck bed?

2. I want to be able to bring my F150 with me whereever I go since it'd be far easier when it comes to parking and those sorts of things. And frankly it seems pointless to not bring it after building out the truck bed. With that said, what do ya'll think? Should I completely scrap that idea? Maybe only bring the bus and my dual sport? But then what would I do with the truck?

3. I've heard of some campgrounds not allowing skoolies? Is this a common thing and how do you combat that? Just hunt around for one that does?
On your last point, no, it's not much of a thing.

In the main it applies to the larger, resort-type RV parks, the places most of us seem to avoid anyway

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:02 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroveStreet View Post

1. It all depends upon what your final goal will be. If all your work is done within the confines of a cab height roof you are not going to have much more than a place to sleep and a place to keep your kitchen out of the weather. For all practical purposes you could be better served by purchasing a Coleman camping kitchen and setting up a tent--a whole lot less work, a whole lot less $$$ spent, and not very much time involved.

2. Towing your F-150 could be a problem depending upon the transmission. Some can be flat towed, some can not. If yours can't be flat towed it means you will have to figure out a way in which to keep your transmission lubed while flat towing down the road, disconnect the driveline every time you get ready to flat tow, or get a vehicle trailer on which you can carry your F-150. The upside is you would have the back of the F-150 available to carry big toys and other stuff that wouldn't fit inside your bus. The other part of towing your F-150 is if your bus will have enough HP to get up the hills while towing your F-150. Most buses with 250+ HP won't have a lot of trouble doing so. Most buses with less than 210 HP are going to struggle to get up big hills without towing. Add a towed and you are going to live in the slooooooooooow lane everywhere you go.

3. The big complaint about skoolies when it comes to admittance to a privately owned campground is the owners don't want some ugly eyesore littering their campground. If you show up with your bus still yellow with black stripes and all of the school bus equipment and identifiers covered with black rattle can spray paint you probably won't gain admittance. But if you show up in a clean rig that is no longer National School Bus Chrome Yellow with black stripes they probably won't ever say a thing.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Welcome!....
Old 04-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses and the welcomes.

Yeah I was aware of the many issues with towing my truck unfortunately. I hadn't considered the low power of the average bus though.

I've done lots of thinking and as cool as skoolies are, I think it's all around just a better option for me personally to go with a camper.

Once again, I appreciate the responses.
GroveStreet is offline   Reply With Quote