Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2017, 07:17 PM   #1

Newbie wanting to live the Skoolie life

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to this but just in the early stage of looking to buy a bus. Quite unsure about what would be the best size etc to go for any advise would be of great help. Some information on us below.

We are a couple in our 20's we are both designers so keen to make a masterpiece. Our goal is to travel around Canada and America.
We would like to have a slightly bigger bus than small. Any makes you would recommend? Budget to look for? or a good place to start?

As we would be travelling over from New Zealand we would also be looking for a place to build this all from. Possibly a mentor who has done this before.

Thank you!!!

NewbiefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:19 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Lookin for sub30' dognose
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiefromNZ View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to this but just in the early stage of looking to buy a bus. Quite unsure about what would be the best size etc to go for any advise would be of great help. Some information on us below.

We are a couple in our 20's we are both designers so keen to make a masterpiece. Our goal is to travel around Canada and America.
We would like to have a slightly bigger bus than small. Any makes you would recommend? Budget to look for? or a good place to start?

As we would be travelling over from New Zealand we would also be looking for a place to build this all from. Possibly a mentor who has done this before.

Thank you!!!
I'm at a similar stage to you two. I also have ambitious goals for my build so I'd be interested in keeping track of your progress. If I read correctly you are planning to come to North America before you purchase a bus?
JSTriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 42
We started with a few potential floorplans to see how much room we needed at a minimum to get everything in the bus that we wanted. It really helped when's​ we started looking even though we ended up with a completely different layout.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
ghodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 3/94
Coachwork: International
Chassis: In Flux
Engine: DT 466 , MT 643
Rated Cap: 84
If you are thinking bigger , my personal view , is go big ! You will get used to driving a big rig and the incognito thing is out the window anyhow. 12 years in my bus and if you follow the rule " leave a place better than when you came , you will always be welcome back " always worked for me. Try and be as self sufficient as possible , low key is always better. Have a blast and come visit when your in Moab !!
Busmanmoab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbies, travel