Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

newly made decision...

Good afternoon! My name is Joel and i have just decided that i want to build my own skoolie I probably have had the same thoughts as some of you all. "man i wish i had a camper...well i don't have a truck to tow one...man, i wish i had an r/v...man r/vs are expensive as heck"(not that i think a build is cheap).
I had considered modifying a bus for some time and never really researched any informative resources etc. Since doing more research and finding this site, i think we've got this.

My ultimate goal will be to travel around and vend different music festivals/shows but we have a loooong ways to go! I look forward to getting to know and learn from you all

Joel Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:29 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Munoz View Post
Good afternoon! My name is Joel and i have just decided that i want to build my own skoolie I probably have had the same thoughts as some of you all. "man i wish i had a camper...well i don't have a truck to tow one...man, i wish i had an r/v...man r/vs are expensive as heck"(not that i think a build is cheap).
I had considered modifying a bus for some time and never really researched any informative resources etc. Since doing more research and finding this site, i think we've got this.

My ultimate goal will be to travel around and vend different music festivals/shows but we have a loooong ways to go! I look forward to getting to know and learn from you all
Festivals and shows would make some good money, I love seeing people's skoolie/food truck builds!
Old 06-24-2016, 05:16 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

A skoolie food truck conversion would be cool and the profit margin on food is so ridiculous. I just don't know how converting it into a food truck and living it it would go lol. We will probably be making clothing/accessories etc so there will have to be a sewing/work area.
As long as we make enough to cover overhead, put some aside for maintenance and get us to the next stop, i'll be happy
Old 06-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Welcome Joel!

How exciting, look forward to seeing the bus that finds you
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:56 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
Quote:
A skoolie food truck conversion would be cool and the profit margin on food is so ridiculous. I just don't know how converting it into a food truck and living it it would go lol. We will probably be making clothing/accessories etc so there will have to be a sewing/work area.
As long as we make enough to cover overhead, put some aside for maintenance and get us to the next stop, i'll be happy
I modified the back of my bus to serve as my woodworking shop, I'll make pallet stuff throughout my trip as it's easy and free behind Wally worlds. You can see it at _nowherefast on Instagram! But I hope to catch up with you at some festivals
Old 06-24-2016, 10:33 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
I'll snap some pics next time I'm out in Kissimmee. There are three food truck buses. Not very appetizing though. Rather dingy and dirty.
The best bang for the buck selling food on the road is the "hippie pb&j thing".
I've met lots of deadheads that got around the county selling grilled cheese and pb&j.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'll snap some pics next time I'm out in Kissimmee. There are three food truck buses. Not very appetizing though. Rather dingy and dirty.
The best bang for the buck selling food on the road is the "hippie pb&j thing".
I've met lots of deadheads that got around the county selling grilled cheese and pb&j.

I seek out grilled cheese from trucks / busses like these.. they are always the greasiest cheesiest buttery grilled cheese on the planet!! pkease build one and then come to the - ComFest in columbus!!!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:24 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post
Welcome Joel!

How exciting, look forward to seeing the bus that finds you
I love the way you worded that

WOW! I was not expecting so many responses! I love you guys already! This is going to be a long journey but i can already tell its going to be a fun ride with you guys.

-Joel
Old 07-07-2016, 02:31 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereFast View Post
I modified the back of my bus to serve as my woodworking shop, I'll make pallet stuff throughout my trip as it's easy and free behind Wally worlds. You can see it at _nowherefast on Instagram! But I hope to catch up with you at some festivals
Very interesting! The seemingly unlimited possibilities for the interior of these buses is blowing my mind right now, You guys are so creative. Seems like you are all part engineer, part artist, part weirdo
Old 07-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
I love the way you worded that

...i can already tell its going to be a fun ride with you guys.

-Joel
This is a friendly but crazy bunch here. But the important thing is...we ARE running the asylum.

Welcome!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote