Old 06-07-2016, 08:39 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
I've been reading this thread and grinning big. Suddenly this board just got a big shot of like-minded estrogen, and IMHO its playing VERY well indeed!

There is a lot of latent talent on here, from both sexes. So if you hit a problem, the solution is likely just a post away.

One of the things I really enjoy about this board is the sense of camaderie here. You can ask really "dumb" questions (I have!) and get good, thoughtful answers.

Viva la Skoolie!
Old 06-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
To someone in your position, I would start out by reading countless builds the (Sky wagon is a great build written out in laymen) . A very well written piece and a great must read when you have no clue.

I love skoolies for the reasons you mentioned. Then again, you have those that tell you to "**** or get off the pot & figure it out"or just "whore yourself out" & find someone to do it for you.

These are cute replies but do not give those of us who are truly looking for help and assistance in gittin it dun!. I have been here for quite a few moons now & still find the SEARCH engine here lacking. It is frustrating to have to read through hundreds of posts that may or may not even provide you the answer you are looking for. That is why I & many others ask the same questions over & over again. A point blank answer, though not as entertaining would be very helpful.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
[I][COLOR="RoyalBlue"] I have been here for quite a few moons now & still find the SEARCH engine here lacking. It is frustrating to have to read through hundreds of posts that may or may not even provide you the answer you are looking for. That is why I & many others ask the same questions over & over again. A point blank answer, though not as entertaining would be very helpful.
The key to using the search function is to go through google, "site:skoolie.net [whatever keyword you're looking for]". Say you want to search window skinning like I have been. In google you search "site:skoolie.net window skinning". Say you're trying to find how people do doors, you search "site:skoolie.net door", etc. It makes it a lot easier to find what you're looking for. I also bookmark with extreme vigor.

I also do a lot of google image searches because I'm not necessarily looking for words.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:54 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Thanks, that is very helpful. It gives a little blurb about the contents of that post but also starts you off in the right area. I have made a special note to search that way from now on.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #35

Hi YMIHere,

I'm new here as well. I have good news and bad news.

Good news: I live in Tampa Bay. I'm right here in Seminole over by Lake Seminole Park.

Now the bad: I don't know anything more about this than you do, so I won't be of much help other than encouragement. But I read and watch videos daily and I'm learning and saving up for my first bus. I am also both crazy excited and scared at the same time. I think anything worth doing in life always has both components.
branley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #36
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by branley View Post
Hi YMIHere,

I'm new here as well. I have good news and bad news.

Good news: I live in Tampa Bay. I'm right here in Seminole over by Lake Seminole Park.

Now the bad: I don't know anything more about this than you do, so I won't be of much help other than encouragement. But I read and watch videos daily and I'm learning and saving up for my first bus. I am also both crazy excited and scared at the same time. I think anything worth doing in life always has both components.
Nice to have another Floridian here. I'm in Eustis.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas 140HS 84 pass
Engine: RE 5.9L ER6BTA230 w/ MT643 Trans
Rated Cap: 84
Hey YMIHERE,

I'm in Riverview, and am in the planning stages of my own bus build. I'm no carpenter, nor electrician - but I have a whole heap of gumption and my stubborn Irish pride that forces me to figure out stuff or "die trying" lol

(ask me about my motorcycle struggles!)

But seriously - I get your anxiety, but you can do this - and as others have said - there's so much support here for you. East Coast CB has offered to help me as well (when I get to that point) - so feel free to reach out.

If nothing else - two people hacking up a couple of buses should at least be entertaining in a "don't try this at home" kinda way... ;)
Old 06-16-2016, 01:19 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm9909 View Post
Hey YMIHERE,

I'm in Riverview, and am in the planning stages of my own bus build. I'm no carpenter, nor electrician - but I have a whole heap of gumption and my stubborn Irish pride that forces me to figure out stuff or "die trying" lol

(ask me about my motorcycle struggles!)

But seriously - I get your anxiety, but you can do this - and as others have said - there's so much support here for you. East Coast CB has offered to help me as well (when I get to that point) - so feel free to reach out.

If nothing else - two people hacking up a couple of buses should at least be entertaining in a "don't try this at home" kinda way... ;)
It takes a village...
Old 06-16-2016, 02:09 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas 140HS 84 pass
Engine: RE 5.9L ER6BTA230 w/ MT643 Trans
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
It takes a village...
Indeed it does!
Old 07-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #40
Almost There

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Custom
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: International straight six
Rated Cap: Unknown
We're building our bus in bushnell but live in Tampa. You can come meet us and check out the bus. We're a newly wed couple and have been converting our bus for the past year.
Cabinbus is offline   Reply With Quote