Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2015, 08:06 AM   #1

Nomads looking to learn how to build our next home

Thank you for providing a resource and community for rookies such as ourselves. It is appreciated.

My wife and I are RV nomads, wandering the Rocky Mountains of Colorado while we raise and homeschool our kids in the wilderness. After a year, logic has driven us towards converting a bus capable of mountain living. So, here we are.

We're still researching, reading, and hopefully soon asking questions here. We are also interested in meeting or making connections with some experienced or professional builders that would be able to work with us on integral improvements such as a roof raise, electrical work, and whatever else may arise that requires more than my mechanical ability can address.

We're determined and interested minimalists with a goal and perhaps in just enough over our head to keep life fun. Looking forward to all the future holds.

drifted_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:22 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
"After a year, logic has driven us towards converting a bus capable of mountain living."

Logic drove you here? Lack of logic and a determination to prove that illogical solutions can be used to make life fun, rewarding at times and challenging, that is what drove me here. I don't see much logic in buying a bus, changing it to something else, living in it, and watching it depreciate in $ value as you pour more into it. But the pure fun of beating the odds, proving yourself to be different, surviving the tuff times, and looking back on the experience - that I can understand.
Welcome, we are glad you are here.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:54 AM   #3

"But the pure fun of beating the odds, proving yourself to be different, surviving the tuff times, and looking back on the experience"

That's the goal mate. A bus seems to be the logical progression. We beat the pants right off the motorhomes. I had pondered gutting our steel frame gulfstream but it's gas, fairly low, and under 30 feet. With 3 kids, 3 very big dogs, 2 adults, and all of our gear we could do with more space for life and cargo. As much as I enjoy a 454, pulling a jeep through the rockies I would feel better in a diesel with an engine brake. We're pretty rough on our things and need the durability and ease of repair a custom interior can provide.

It's really just a matter of where to start and having a go i suppose. I'd like to research from now until june or so and make a purchase in the early summer and hopefully have enough time to finish the build by freeze up or finish enough to head to the beach for winter.

Thanks for the welcome. We're slightly mad to be sure.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Welcome aboard! Im a fellow coloradan with aspirations of doings just like yours. Ive raised my roof, and am getting ready to insulate the interior now. getting prepped for full time living in colorado's climate(s) Got a old diesel skoolie with a retarder. I wont win races up the hills but I can do it all day and go down em safely with plenty of brakes. Id be happy to help however I can! I love talking shop. Ive probably owned as many buses as almost anyone on here. That doesnt mean I know a lot but Ive seen a lot!
Feel free to PM me
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #5

That sounds excellent. I've sent a pm but not sure if a minimum post count is needed here.

We're out to go slow and safe, to find a common mechanical engine I can learn to work on and find relatively common parts for, and set ourselves up to be beside that secret meadow at 9k ft all summer long. Sustainable and modest living will be essential in our bus and I've probably read your thread a dozen times my good sir.

I look forward to talking bus with you indeed.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:39 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Got your pm. Ill reply when Im home from work!
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote