Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2019, 09:50 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: VIN = 1T7HR3B2311090770
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: ~72
Smile Noob here.

I have the cunning plan of buying some land zoned agricultural in VA, back near the WV border, and living in a skoolie. Plan is to travel when possible and hole up in a barn when not. Barn to get well, septic, solar, etc. Skoolie likely to be a 35'+ up to 40' critter. I will actually use the land for agricultural purposes, anyone see immediate show stoppers?

TaliaDPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:55 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Sounds like a viable plan to me.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:14 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDPerkins View Post
I have the cunning plan of buying some land zoned agricultural in VA, back near the WV border, and living in a skoolie. Plan is to travel when possible and hole up in a barn when not. Barn to get well, septic, solar, etc. Skoolie likely to be a 35'+ up to 40' critter. I will actually use the land for agricultural purposes, anyone see immediate show stoppers?
sounds very good to me
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:17 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
sounds very good to me
Same here ... especially if you build a BUS BARN.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
I think that it is a great plan.

I plan on doing pretty much the same thing.

I plan on a few full hookup sites for when my friends come to visit.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:49 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I think that it is a great plan.

I plan on doing pretty much the same thing.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Same here ... especially if you build a BUS BARN.

Did I mention I was a complete noob?

Anything make it a BUS BARN besides being big enough to...hold the bus?

Old 10-20-2019, 12:01 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Did I mention I was a complete noob?

Anything make it a BUS BARN besides being big enough to...hold the bus?

ideally it would have room for all the equipment to make hat channel, cranes for doing a roof raise, air powered jacks, motor overhaul equipment and tools - shouldn't take up much more room than a city block - lol
Old 10-20-2019, 12:10 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I was kind of thinking the same. Just make sure you are using the land within the constraints of the zoning laws, pay an attorney to confirm before plunking down the cash.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I was kind of thinking the same. Just make sure you are using the land within the constraints of the zoning laws, pay an attorney to confirm before plunking down the cash.
Definitely want to do your due diligence before committing.

You can pay a $200/hr attorney to contact local planning and zoning office and the county recorder to find out for you. Or, you can do it yourself. It isn't rocket surgery.

Researching tittle can take a little time but it's not difficult.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:51 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
That's been our plan. A barn with a bus in it.

Down here I can get a HUGE steel building cheap.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:32 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Whereabouts on the VA/WV border are you considering? I'm up at the top of Virginia, if you end up close enough I wouldn't mind giving a hand or two.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:36 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I need to start being nice to people here.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Speaking of cunning plans: a couple of months ago I found a weird piece of property up north in PA. It's a strip of land along the river about 1500' long and averaging about 30' wide. It's between the river and a road and no building is allowed on it, but there are four or five spots where a bus could park (in fact it's advertised as a potential camping spot for an RV). I think (I'm still a bit unsure on the PA legalities of this) that I could purchase the property and legally live on it 180 days out of each year.

I called the city and they were unsure about whether I could get utility hookups on the property (the electric, water and sewage actually run on this property so it would at least be physically possible if not legally). The listing also suggests that you could buy the property and charge for parking for the houses on the other side of the street, a fine way to ingratiate yourself with your new neighbors. I would try trading parking for an extension cord and see where that got me.

For bonus points, this property even has its own concrete dock for boat launching, and it's just across the river from a bike trail. And cheap since there's no real use for it.

My total fantasy is to buy it and convert to a skoolie park, but I can see where the neighbors across the street might resist the idea.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:09 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Speaking of cunning plans: a couple of months ago I found a weird piece of property up north in PA. It's a strip of land along the river about 1500' long and averaging about 30' wide. It's between the river and a road and no building is allowed on it, but there are four or five spots where a bus could park (in fact it's advertised as a potential camping spot for an RV). I think (I'm still a bit unsure on the PA legalities of this) that I could purchase the property and legally live on it 180 days out of each year.

I called the city and they were unsure about whether I could get utility hookups on the property (the electric, water and sewage actually run on this property so it would at least be physically possible if not legally). The listing also suggests that you could buy the property and charge for parking for the houses on the other side of the street, a fine way to ingratiate yourself with your new neighbors. I would try trading parking for an extension cord and see where that got me.

For bonus points, this property even has its own concrete dock for boat launching, and it's just across the river from a bike trail. And cheap since there's no real use for it.

My total fantasy is to buy it and convert to a skoolie park, but I can see where the neighbors across the street might resist the idea.
big enough to have a 1500 foot long driveway
Old 11-02-2019, 06:59 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker4449 View Post
Whereabouts on the VA/WV border are you considering? I'm up at the top of Virginia, if you end up close enough I wouldn't mind giving a hand or two.

The kids are definitely going to Lord Fairfax Comm. Coll. for their two years, and likely the son to Shen. Conservatory for his 4 year, and the daughter reasonably likely to hit JMU for hers, so someplace about equidistant between Winchester and Harrisonburg is ideal.

I'm haunting Zillow, like every other day. Rule number #1 is no HOA, rule #2 zones agriculture or forestry.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:57 PM   #17

My wife's dream too. We just acquired our 8 window. I'll be flooring soon. Then walls, cabinets, etc. she still talks about at land to raise animals and grow food for both animals and humans
M.ruel55@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:16 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:

"anyone see immediate show stoppers?" Ummm money?
Being a noob I have to tell you this, cost for materials for all that is prob going to wind up being more than you thought, if you haven't done it before then there will be many items you didn't plan for that might just dollar and dime you to death. If you need extra help then the labor cost would be another issue.
I work in mechanics and construction, the little things you forget to budget for can add up super fast.
But I understand plenty of people have money or credit to throw around.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #19
Skoolie

Chassis: 2000 Int Amtran
Engine: DT466HT
Rated Cap: 84
Steve, your plans are almost identical to mine. I want to have 2 or 3, 3 to 5 acre plats for some hookups and water. If we had 2 or 3 people to go into together we could have some nice trouble free spots for our friends and family. Got some ideas in my head to pay for it. Hair brained I am sure no less. lol
MacC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:40 PM   #20
Skoolie

Quote:
If you want to be able to insure and drive the bus, then there are some problems. I don't know about all carriers in VA but I do know the one I can do skoolies with won't do full timers, a roof raise or woodstoves in the bus.

I'd say get the land/barn, finish out part of the barn as your residence, keeping some of it partially finished like an attached garage to park the bus in. Then you could get the barn/liability covered as well as the RV covered (both literally and with insurance).

M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noob, skoolie, virginia, zoning