Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2016, 02:21 PM   #1

Noob in NC

Hello everyone! I'm so excited to be here and learn a lot about skoolies. I am a mother of four and am pretty mechanically inclined, but taking on this sort of project is nothing like the everyday indoor projects we normally do. With that being said...I look forward to the task, especially a roof raise! I have always been the travel, homestead, tiny home person ever since I could remember and I literally just found out about skoolies a week ago and am sold on the idea. I would like to travel a lot initially to give the kids an adventure and then settle down on some land in my home state of MD (currently in NC).

Thank you to everyone for selflessly providing information for everyone. This could easily be a membership site, so thanks for the free info.

I am in the research phase and have been reading here, looking at appliances, learning about solar energy and last night mapped out my floor plan on graph paper. I am looking for a bus 30' from drivers seat to end in order to carry out my floor plan. Based on my reading so far, a flat front diesel engine would be the best choice. Can a roof raise be done on a flat front bus? Another concern is how to drive a bus lol. Seems pretty long, so that will be interesting as well.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this new adventure and I plan to document as much as possible.

dabusybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:42 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Welcome and yes roof raises can be done on any bus, just different ways to make it look good for front and back cap

check out zoning and such in MD before you head that way (no idea if it is a skoolie/RV friendly state
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Welcome.
There are several new and old skoolie members in n.c..
I am down by the beach's in swansboro
If you don't mind me asking where are you located?
I know my neighboring county just bought some new busses so they might have a few up for sale but there's not to many flat nose busses down this way unless you can find one from one of the many military bases around here.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:23 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Welcome!

I'm sure it will ne an axventure the kids will never foget.
We traveled a lot when i was a kid.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
We're based out of Statesville, NC, north of Charlotte. There are a few NC people on here! Welcome!
Old 08-02-2016, 08:04 PM   #6

Wow, it's great to see so many Carolinians here! I'm in Pitt County. I haven't checked locally yet. My forst obstacle will be trying to find a place to park it and work on it, lol.

Thank you all for the info
dabusybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:30 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
If you drive a bit further into the state there are some very high quality rust free buses. Look on nc school bus surplus website and they will list all the buses for sale by county. They're cheap too.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I am not to far from in onslow county and I would reccomend looking farther up in the state for busses.
Mine from onslow county had minimal rust.
The normal stuff under the flooring from the windows leaking.
But I am geared for stop and go not highway or interstate speeds.
So the back roads it is for me until I find the money,parts and time to at least re-gear the rear end and upgrade the tires and rims.
I did get an 86 bus and it does everything it was designed to do.
Just passed another yearly inspection on Friday.
I am having a problem finding a normal (15$) inspection station that will touch it.
I do know one but that's a good day off of work so I have been dropping it off to a big truck mobile mechanics office and they get to it the same day I drop it off but it is a full DOT (60?) inspection but I think it's worth it cause they look at everything and if they see something that could be a problem in the future they say you need to look into taking care of this.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dabusybee, new bus owners, women built