Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2019, 04:04 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItJustGoes View Post
We watched bus build videos for months and were POSITIVE we wanted a 40’ pusher and would not buy until we found the perfect bus. We searched and searched, lost several auction bids, looked at a few buses locally then ended up taking a 38’ FE in Nevada (I’m in Oregon) because it had a high top and good price. I thought I’d regret not holding out for PERFECT but I love her so much and know she’ll be fabulous when we’re finally done with the build. My advice is - don’t get paralysis for PERFECT.
I think for most folks getting hung up on what style of bus can be sort of a detriment. I thought I wanted a transit style school bus. I got one and loved it. But now that I've messed around with several buses I've settled on short dog noses as the "best" for me.
After buying and selling 4 or 5 buses I've learned there's no PERFECT bus but if you've got five or ten grand when a badass bookmobile or mobile command unit pops on on GovDeals that's about as close to perfect as it gets. Or a Wanderlodge!

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbloem1974 View Post
Our bus dream started out as looking at a van cutaway, then we started to look at 5-6 window full-size chassis, then we ended buying a 9-window 3/4 size! We're so glad we went that route. It is just me, the wife, and our cat. After having the bus and travelling around for a few years now, we are so happy with the size!

John
Its amazing what a shorter bus will do for maneuvering and parking.
A 40' bus is sort of a chore. A 20' bus is like a really large van.
I love my 5 window Thomas bus the best driving bus I've had was the 6 window IC. Really easy and stress free to drive, even in Orlando.
The Thomas is nice, but it definitely feels much more like a farm truck. My last Thomas did too.
I'm not brand loyal anymore. That got me nowhere. Thomas is my least favorite of the big three school bus makers, yet this is my favorite bus of all 5 I've owned.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:21 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Smile

Oh I like farm trucks

Must say my bus is more farm truck then not, just like my old 68 international flatbed dump truck. Great truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Dcp_0001.jpg  
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Oh I like farm trucks

Must say my bus is more farm truck then not, just like my old 68 international flatbed dump truck. Great truck.
Oh- I DO like farm trucks. But not so much for how they ride on the highway!
Very cool International, man!
Old 03-13-2019, 04:44 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
They ride great on the highway ... when the wheels are touching down. A friend rode with me and I did not mention to him to hold on over bridges... He landed on the floor, bounced right off the seat. Thank goodness the bus is not so bad, longer wheelbase helps.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #26

That’s a good plan...we had created such a long list of “must haves” that the field became too narrow. We had a couple specific engine/transmission combinations that became what we agreed to not settle on and leave everything else flexible. Good luck on your search. It will all come together!
ItJustGoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:50 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_McCoy View Post
Or years as the case may be...

So long in fact that you may even develop a perfect a spreadsheet for tracing potential buses, have a highly efficient system for searching every known auction, dealer, and listing in the US, and be accused by coworkers of purposefully finding faults so you don't have to buy and can continue searching forever.

Welcome to the club. We need moah new englandahs on heah.

So what kind of a bus are you looking for?

So I'm NOT supposed to just keep 50 different Craigslist and other tabs open with potential leads? Darn. . . . .
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post
So I'm NOT supposed to just keep 50 different Craigslist and other tabs open with potential leads? Darn. . . . .
I currently have 22 different saves on Craigslist...
Jason O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:07 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
might be fun to list my must haves - MUST HAVE - 35 - 36 feet long, 34 if other wise perfect - dog nose - adequate or more than adequate power, suitable highway transmission, either automatic or manual, (prefer auto ) and highway gearing rear end - little or no rust - things I'd LIKE to have - good tires, snow tires in back - under body storage - - things it would be nice to have - low mileage, super clean - exceptionally well maintained - cold climate model
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote