Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

UPDATE: we have insurance, and the tags and title have been switched over to our names. Finally able to drive it.

bennettdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:11 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
What company did you get insurance with? We're still looking.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Progressive's online stuff is only good for very short term, and then they won't insure you anymore. At least that's how its BEEN going this last year or so.
Good for getting a bus home in a pinch, but if doing this is good to have a backup plan like Good Sam/GMAC
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:09 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, I read the thread. We will just see how it goes, mine say's van on the side and is registered in NC as a House Car so we will just see what happens, thanks for looking out. If I receive a cancellation I will make sure to post it on the thread with details of make/model/company. I'm going to start researching other policies right after I finish typing this response. Thanks!!
Old 08-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Cool. I really hope I don't come off as negative or anything.
I lost my first bus due to this stuff... Insurance cnacelled me and left me with a bus I couldn't move... And the code violations stacked up!
My first bus was free- ended up costing me thousands. I felt horribly defeated and it sucked watchin my dream vanish due to bureaucracy and my lack of planning.
Plan for THREE places to park it and store it, and try to stay ahead of the insurance crap... That's my advice to ANYONE starting out in the whole bus thing.
It can get so ugly so fast!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:30 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

It's fine, didn't come off that way to me at all. I'd rather someone be straight up then try to sugar coat something. Like others were saying, they are misleading when you sign up with them for insurance. Seems like they aren't making an effort to inform people until after they get a deposit and signed up. Without you telling me I would've never known and at the least you may have saved me from the surprise of it. That allows me to be one step ahead of the game and have a backup plan.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:18 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Just got insurance in NC from Farm Bureau. No one at Allstate, Nationwide, National General, or anywhere else we called would do it. Farm Bureau spoke straight to the underwriters and was very transparent about it being a school bus conversion. They had to get it "seated" which apparently helps get insurance in high risk situations. It's insured as an RV, and our title says "House Car." $222 a year for 50/100/50 liability.