Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2016, 09:23 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Off To Pick Up My Bus Tomorrow!

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to skoolie.net. I've been dreaming of a bus conversion for many years and it's finally happening!

I purchased a 2003 International (not sure of model). It has a T444E engine and an Allison Automatic Transmission, for $2034.00 plus the 9.5% auction fee. I think I got a pretty good deal. The photos are here: Public Surplus: Auction #1682539

Any words of wisdom driving her home? The supervisor of the transportation department is going to give me some tips, but I wanted to see if any of you had advise, as well.

I'll be posting my renovation and adventures here: https://thismidwifetravels.com/

My plan is to renovate and move not just myself, but my internet based business on to the bus. And next September go on a 12 month (maybe longer) adventure around the country. Since my business is internet based, I can take it with me!

Looking forward to the sage advise from all of you. I've read many threads (read: hours and hours, lol) and can't wait to share my journey with you.

Sandi
aka: WanderWoman
Bus Name: The WanderLust Bus

WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:13 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
Good deal.

I'd say that's a pretty sweet deal. Driving advice; Go slow.... Oh its a skoolie, you've really no choice but to go slow... But seriously, Congrats!!
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:23 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you have a T-444E, dont overheat it!!
the T-444E is known for running hot afyer being driven on the highway for awhile..

if your temp runs up high (over 210-215) on your gauge then slow it down.. or turn on the heaters.. (yes open the valves and turn on the heat.. that dissipates heat from the engine)..

check your oil and coolant OFTEN.. when your first start out.. then stop every 20 miles or so till you know that theres no major spillage or leaks.. then you can go every 100 miles or so between checks...

each time you jump off the highway and stop. let oyur bus idle for 3-5 minutes before turning it off... unless you have a complete runaway temperature or your oil pressure is way low...

otherwise enjoy the ride!! and driving ab us is different, the steering will feel a bit loose compare ot a car.. and it will want to move around within the lane a little.. let it.. if you try to correct every single motion the bus makes, you will get it swaying a bit..

you are a 2003 you likely have an Overdrive transmission in it.. i doubt its an AT545 in that year.. so you may be able to go 60-65+.. just again watch your oil pressure and temperature...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to skoolie.net. I've been dreaming of a bus conversion for many years and it's finally happening!

I purchased a 2003 International (not sure of model). It has a T444E engine and an Allison Automatic Transmission, for $2034.00 plus the 9.5% auction fee. I think I got a pretty good deal. The photos are here: Public Surplus: Auction #1682539

Any words of wisdom driving her home? The supervisor of the transportation department is going to give me some tips, but I wanted to see if any of you had advise, as well.

I'll be posting my renovation and adventures here: https://thismidwifetravels.com/

My plan is to renovate and move not just myself, but my internet based business on to the bus. And next September go on a 12 month (maybe longer) adventure around the country. Since my business is internet based, I can take it with me!

Looking forward to the sage advise from all of you. I've read many threads (read: hours and hours, lol) and can't wait to share my journey with you.

Sandi
aka: WanderWoman
Bus Name: The WanderLust Bus
I can not believe how many self employed business owners I see on line traveling there business.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Congrats- take it easy and enjoy the bus retrieval adventure. I may be going up to VA for a bus soon myself.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:23 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Congrats- take it easy and enjoy the bus retrieval adventure. I may be going up to VA for a bus soon myself.
did ya find you a shortie?
Old 10-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Top speed 65 mph. Taking it easy in the right lane. Did about 300 miles today. She seems to run great.

Passed my first Skokie 20 minutes after I got her in VA, quick wave and a nod. Thought that was a cool sign 😊

Sandi
Old 10-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

I've been traveling with my work for 2 years now. In a suitcase, working overseas assignments. It will be nice to have it in one place, on my bus!
Old 10-03-2016, 07:31 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

The supervisor of transport told me he was getting ready to list 20 buses. Mine was well taken care of and they filled her up for me!!
Old 10-03-2016, 07:31 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Rated Cap: 14
Not too much more to add - keep a close watch on the oil pressure and temperature. A very close watch. You do not want to overheat the engine. Check fluids every time you stop, at least for the first few weeks until you see what the consumption amounts are (if any).

I see the bus has air brakes, which some people have no experience with. There will be an alert which will sound when the system is under 60-80 PSI (common after startup). Once the system reaches the alert threshold, the alert should turn off. The system should run between 90-120 - some fluctuation while running is normal, as long as it's in that range. You may occasionally hear a hiss of air escaping the system - this is normal as long as it does not hiss constantly, it is to help keep the system purged of moisture. Test the brakes in a parking lot. You may sense a slight braking delay when you push the pedal, and may find the pedal rather sensitive. Unlike hydraulic brakes, the air brakes need very little pedal travel to increase the braking effort. It's just different; something to get used to.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:32 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
The supervisor of transport told me he was getting ready to list 20 buses. Mine was well taken care of and they filled her up for me!!

A fillup? That was cool.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:33 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Nicely done!!!.. hows the oil P and temperature running on that T-444?

its a good engine treated right can last a long time..

I love travelling with my work... I have a mobile DEV lab in a bus so I can be anywhere and test all the software and hardware creations I do. its a great feeling... Plus driving a bus is just plain FUN!!
-Christopher
Old 10-03-2016, 07:35 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
did ya find you a shortie?
Yep. I'm hoping to score one eventually. I'm just low bidding and being patient.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:39 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yep. I'm hoping to score one eventually. I'm just low bidding and being patient.
thats the way to do it.. apprently it works..
Old 10-03-2016, 07:41 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Check fluids every time you stop, at least for the first few weeks until you see what the consumption amounts are (if any).

I see the bus has air brakes, which some people have no experience with. There will be an alert which will sound when the system is under 60-80 PSI (common after startup). Once the system reaches the alert threshold, the alert should turn off. The system should run between 90-120 - some fluctuation while running is normal, as long as it's in that range. You may occasionally hear a hiss of air escaping the system - this is normal as long as it does not hiss constantly, it is to help keep the system purged of moisture. Test the brakes in a parking lot. You may sense a slight braking delay when you push the pedal, and may find the pedal rather sensitive. Unlike hydraulic brakes, the air brakes need very little pedal travel to increase the braking effort. It's just different; something to get used to.
Great advise, thx. I'll check fluids again when I fill up in GA tomorrow.
The air brakes are interesting. Don't take much pressure at all. I've been watching the gauge and it stays between 100-120. It's only hissed a few times while driving. I noticed that it's when I'm going downhill at top speed.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:43 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Nicely done!!!.. hows the oil P and temperature running on that T-444?

its a good engine treated right can last a long time..

I love travelling with my work... I have a mobile DEV lab in a bus so I can be anywhere and test all the software and hardware creations I do. its a great feeling... Plus driving a bus is just plain FUN!!
-Christopher
I've been keeping an eye on the gauges and everything is maintaining in the normal range.
How awesome that you get to travel and work, too. I'm really looking forward to it!
Sandi
Old 10-03-2016, 07:49 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
travel for work...

This has been the Crux for me lately. I'm an areo-space machinist, love my work, but am feeling a burn-out approaching soon; I have been trying to figure out what I COULD do, and something I would WANT to do that would allow me to be more remote. I have considered CNC Programming, or CMM programming, but I'm not sure it could hold my interest very long...... I need a midlife crisis or something....
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:12 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Great advise, thx. I'll check fluids again when I fill up in GA tomorrow.
The air brakes are interesting. Don't take much pressure at all. I've been watching the gauge and it stays between 100-120. It's only hissed a few times while driving. I noticed that it's when I'm going downhill at top speed.
If you are traveling up I-85, feel free to hit me up, as I live right off of exit 126.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:44 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
I've been keeping an eye on the gauges and everything is maintaining in the normal range.
How awesome that you get to travel and work, too. I'm really looking forward to it!
Sandi

super to hear its running great!!! keep that temp 210or below and enjoy.!!

I just got a T-444E last week and it was a fantastic and quiet engine.. may your trip be fun and flawless!

where ya taking it to?
-Christopher
Old 10-03-2016, 10:15 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift

A 2003 for 2 grand?! Can't beat that.

I checked your website, awesome.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 international