Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2017, 03:27 PM   #1

On the hunt for the right bus!

So, I'm a total newbie to all things skoolie but my husband and I have been talking about doing a conversion for a while. Well, I happened upon a listing for a bus and I wanted to get your opinions before shelling out money for a potential dud.

Here is all the info in the listing: 1999 International 3800 T 444E with the international 7.3 diesel motor. Runs drives good as it should. Seats 26 comfortably.has rear handicap door but no lift. 27500 gvw. Has juice brakes. Everything works inside and out as it should. 240k miles. 11k hours good for church, summer camp, or turn into a camper hauler for the track. Has good tread on the tires.

He's asking $4,000 OBO. Is this a good deal? Is 240k miles pushing it? Please let me know what you think. All input is appreciated. Thanks!

The Happy O'Haras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy O'Haras View Post
So, I'm a total newbie to all things skoolie but my husband and I have been talking about doing a conversion for a while. Well, I happened upon a listing for a bus and I wanted to get your opinions before shelling out money for a potential dud.

Here is all the info in the listing: 1999 International 3800 T 444E with the international 7.3 diesel motor. Runs drives good as it should. Seats 26 comfortably.has rear handicap door but no lift. 27500 gvw. Has juice brakes. Everything works inside and out as it should. 240k miles. 11k hours good for church, summer camp, or turn into a camper hauler for the track. Has good tread on the tires.

He's asking $4,000 OBO. Is this a good deal? Is 240k miles pushing it? Please let me know what you think. All input is appreciated. Thanks!
Buy this bus-
https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/au...ew?auc=1890538
Its as badass as they come!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:

A fullsize bus with a 444E and that many miles is one I'd pass on for sure.
My shorty has 210k on a 444E but I'd definitely not want to go paying such top dollar for whats basically a base model low spec type of bus. I paid 1760 and it even came with new tires.
I'd want a big powerful engine if its a full size bus.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:36 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm in MD and CO is a bit far to travel to pick up a bus. Any input on the bus in the original post?

Just saw your second post! Thanks
The Happy O'Haras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:38 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Buy this bus-
https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/au...ew?auc=1890538
Its as badass as they come!
If that was just a smidge longer I'D buy it!
Evertiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:40 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm in MD and CO is a bit far to travel to pick up a bus. Any input on the bus in the original post?

Just saw your second post! Thanks
Both my current buses were from far away.
I just don't like low spec buses. If you're gonna build, build on a nice bus, not common bottom rung stuff. Just my opinion.
Went 800 miles each way for my second bus. My third bus a friend brought to fl from CO for me 1700+ miles.
THe first bus I had was a local bus to me. FL buses are crap, but I took it cause it was free. It was an 85 Thomas with a Ford gas engine. What a turd. But I didn't know any better. Glad I didn't end up building my dreams on that 85 Thomas.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:57 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evertiro View Post
If that was just a smidge longer I'D buy it!
Its 40 feet.