Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2019, 11:58 PM   #1

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Starcraft Ford E-450
Chassis: Ford E-450 Gas Shuttle Bus
Engine: V10 Ford E-450
Rated Cap: 19
Partier From WI needs to haul her friends.

Hello. I’ve been dreaming of a Motorhome or van conversion for quite some time. Mostly to take shorter, weekend trips. This month, 12 of us almost got stranded trying to get to Jimmy Buffett because the 12 passenger van we rented cancelled on us the morning of! So did the second reservation! I figured, why not get a small bus for our outings (concerts, tailgating (it is Wisconsin after all) and other types of adventures for our group. Then it dawned on me that this bus should be dual-purpose. Enough seats for 12-15 (no CDL required for a short bus) AND with a few minor tweaks, presto! I have a motor home too. I think I found my bus tonight, now it’s mastering a layout for maximum passengers within the law and yet still be an RV. I’m not looking for a full Reno at this time, but I am looking and loving your ideas. Currently, I’m still trying to navigate registration and insuring a potential bus that is NOT for hire.

RumPirateWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:01 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Howdy fellow Parrot (& Cheese) Head, welcome to the madness!
Depending upon what duration you plan on keeping your shorty, you may do well looking farther afield to avoid being saddled with a serious rust bucket.
In closing, and in deference reference to your handle, may I warmly add,
ARR! [emoji879]
Old 07-31-2019, 06:44 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my little RedByrd fits the bill, im not much of a Camper, But I built this little bad boy for outings with friends, travelling the country, pretty much a daily driver (although today im driving the DEV).. I have occasiobally stayed the night in it with an air mattress tossed on the floor between the seats.. it would be a little short for much of a camping rig along with being an outing bus. you'd wantto go a couple windows longer if you want to keep some seats up front and build a minimal camper in the back.

the red one is a form factor all over, as adult seated range goes its 14.. not sure wisconsin licenses.. Ohio licenses based on use.. so if its got a DOT number or used commercially or as a church bus, its not CDL required,or is less than 16 seats..

Click image for larger version

Name:	redbyrd-side.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	36087

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:14 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Kewl!! The Tiki Bus
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:25 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
One of my ideas for my eventual bus is that can adapt from solo RV to sub-15 passenger. A key factor in that is utilizing the rear area normally allocated as a bedroom to be adaptable into a lounge with rows on each wall facing inward. I figure 6-8 seats there, plus whatever seating in the front salon, but that rear area can be swapped back into bedroom space once its just me again. I guess when I start building it out I'll have to share but right now its just in my head.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:13 AM   #6

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Starcraft Ford E-450
Chassis: Ford E-450 Gas Shuttle Bus
Engine: V10 Ford E-450
Rated Cap: 19
Sehnsucht, we are on the same page. I’m toying with the layout now. So many endless possibilities. 1/2 camper, 1/2 shuttle, plus considering licensing “for hire” down the road to cover insurance and pay for my next voyage lol. I’m not going to do an entire gut and not adding electric or tanks. But, a cassette toilet is a MUST. Small “kitchen” (sink, food storage, cooler spot)... Plus the one I’m looking at has a rear door and wheel chair lift to work around- but I love the Potential of all that fresh air with those doors, so I don’t see it as a bad thing.
RumPirateWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:03 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Just one note: I wouldn't recommend seeking to go the 'for hire' route unless you actually plan to do it full time. The operating authority, commercial vehicle insurance as well as business liability insurance, and then commercial driver's licensing requirements will all cost way more than you can ever hope to recoup just because as soon as you add revenue to the equation everyone has their hand out for a piece including lawyers. Better to just keep it an RV and tote around friends then informally request gas money.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote