Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2015, 01:11 AM   #1

Passionate Newbie

I have been passionate about tiny house and off-grid living for quite some time and recently made the decision to do a school bus conversion. I have ALWAYS loved the idea of living in a bus, and I can visualize it coming true! I will be getting a settlement from a car accident, which will allow me to purchase the bus and convert it. I have SO MANY questions, since I am still in the R+D stage ;) But I fall asleep every night just visualizing the space and living in it, RENT FREE for years to come.

Hello, Denise

DeesEdenBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:41 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Welcome to the madness of having wheels under your home
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome.

Be sure to read as many build threads as you can. Tons of great info and pics there.

Be sure to add pics when you get a bus.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:13 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
Where abouts in WA do you reside. There are numerous bus builds in the Seattle area that are in progress that you could view and possibly participate in, sort of get your feet wet before you jump in. Also get some ideas and hands on experience. I'm in Bellevue.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:53 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: bluebird
Allright Dragonpop. quit hitting on the new girl, this is not Match.com

...And welcome Denise, I am Sharlene
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:00 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 83
Welcome.

The best advice I can give you is read all you can here. Also check out all the pics you can and please don't be afraid to ask questions. There are so many people on here that will help you in any way possible. I just love this place and have learned a lot myself. I am on here several times every day and have learned so much. I am so glad that I found this place. The members are the nicest people you could ever meet. Do your research, decide what you want and go for it. Good luck and please don't hesitate to ask many questions. Also utilize the search feature. Happy motoring.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:43 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Well Sharlene at my age I stopped hitting on girls about 40 years ago and match.com is some site that keeps putting up annoying adds on some of my e-mails that I haven't been able to disable yet since I don't participate. Out west here we tend to be a little more laid back and friendly to strangers without ulterior motives. Just willing to lend a helping hand to others, with or without a formal introduction. Try a little open minded approach, it might be a new experience.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:22 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Okay Pop...tell ya what, I'll try to be a little open minded but at 64 I don't see many new experiences coming in my life. But you my friend might want to get a sense of humor...it's good for a chuckle every now & then.

That's all I meant but my comment....I got a chuckle out of it and was quite proud that I can still remember to come up with a few.

Sorry I offended you....I promise to act more elderly & proper from now on.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:23 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
I promise to act more elderly & proper from now on
I'd act my age, but, I've never been this age before.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:01 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

As you go forward towards making a decision as to what kind of bus you want to convert you need to decide on what kind of bus you want to purchase.

Part of that decision making process involves determining before you start how you are going to use your bus.

If you plan on doing tens of thousands of miles every year then purchasing a motorcoach to convert might be a better choice than most school buses.

If you are tall or large economy sized then you may want to consider a transit bus that is 102" wide and has ceilings that are already well in excess of 78".

If you are going to be traveling the back roads of America at a leisurely pace then a school bus might be your best choice. If you ever plan to go off of pavement then a school bus would be your best choice.

If you choose to go with a school bus then you need to decide if you want a Type 'C' bus with the engine out front under a hood. Or you could choose to go with a Type 'D' bus that is flat on the front and has the service door in front of the front axle. If you do choose to go with a Type 'D' you will also need to further decide if you want a front engine (FE), mid-engine (most Crowns and some Gilligs), or a rear engine (RE)--each have good reasons for and against getting one of them. Type 'A' and Type 'B' buses are for the most part not the best choices for conversion for a lot of reasons with the number one reason being there isn't enough truck under the bus to handle the weight.

If you would like to discuss some of your options you are welcome to contact me. Currently in our inventory we have a few of just about every kind of bus imaginable with some of them having very reasonable prices.

Good luck and happy trails.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:48 PM   #11
Skoolie

Visualize it just exactly as you want it.
c_hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:35 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Sorry for the harsh reply young lady, I can say that since I'm 3 years your senior, I just didn't want to scare the young lady off the forum first thing. I also didn't offer her other builds going on in the area that I know of since I don't have their permission to disclose those facts. So it may have sounded a little one sided. At my age I have memory as sharp as a tack and just as long. All is good sorry for the misunderstanding, stay vertical and keep smiling.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:28 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Bygones bye gones here....

Seems like I should have watched myself cause I don't see any more posts from her.

HEY DENISE...HELLO

I WAS ONLY JOKING GIRL...NOBODY is trying to hit on you...all these guys think about here is/are BUS, BUS & more bus stuffs.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:22 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Happens a lot here.
New, excited members introduce themselves and we never hear from them again.
I doubt that the Match.com comment had anything to do with it. It just happens.
I do like diversity though and wish we had more of it on this site.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote