Old 10-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Possible Mid-Sized Project

Hello!

To get from a friend who already started the build-out ...

Anyone have a similar vehicle? This is about 30 ft total length. Ceiling is almost 7 ft, i.e. made for adults (fire crew).
AndiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Anyone have thoughts on converting this? What about building a ramp to put my motorcycle (150 cc scooter) inside?
Old 10-17-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
The high roof is a big plus but I'd be more concerned with the engine & drivetrain. What motor...what trans...what condition?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

All I know is "Allison" and "runs great." I have to get back over there in person to check out more detail. (It's an automatic; wish it were manual. Or do I?)

Thanks for responding.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:37 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Allison makes about 90% of all the heavy duty trannies around. Especially in Skoolies. That one is almost certainly an AT545 unless someone has swapped it out. Good trans in its' day but many consider it a dinosaur because it has no lock-up and only 4 gears. Quite a few folks here have swapped them out for newer 5 & 6 speed units so it might not be a deal killer. And manuals are not common but there are some. Frankly, the right auto will serve most folks much better. They are stout and generally get better mpg's. Just gotta keep them from overheating.

The engine story is critical as well. There are some great motors in buses and others you want to avoid like the plague. Devil is in the details. Make sure to get all the specs you can.

And definitely check the tires. Both for wear & condition as well as date. There are several online guides for reading "tire date codes". They can have tread and look OK but if too far out of date they can be trouble. And remember...there are six of them to replace. Typically at around $1200 or so bucks for a set. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Others here can add to a checklist.

Oh...and before you buy ANY bus...make sure you have a place to put it! (Store, park, work, etc.)

Best of luck.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you! Keep in mind that this bus was used for transporting forest-fire-fighting crews in the mountains, so I assume the transmission, and engine, was adapted to that as necessary. Hopefully I'll have the details soon. I was told that the suspension was modified for a smoother ride.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I suppose it would not be a good idea to store a Road King (over 1000 lbs) in the garage, which is behind the rear wheels, correct? Probably need a bike trailer.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 392 international V-8
If indeed it has a softer suspension, then a bike(road king) in the back may not be a good idea, might just need to try it though. A trailer is going to be easyer to load of course but then a short trailer long bus makes backing a bit more interesting.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Well, if the Road King comes along then that means my "truck driver" comes along too and he can figure out the details. I'm sure my scooter will be fine inside if I can build a ramp.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:29 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiW View Post
Hello!

To get from a friend who already started the build-out ...

Anyone have a similar vehicle? This is about 30 ft total length. Ceiling is almost 7 ft, i.e. made for adults (fire crew).
From my research in looking for a bus, government buses, prison buses and/or fire department buses have gas engines. You really don't want to fiddle with those, but maybe since this one was for the mountains, it is a diesel engine.
RevyRev is offline   Reply With Quote