Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2018, 09:13 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Possibly looking to make the jump!

Hello all!

Been wanting to make the jump to a skoolie for a while now. After some life changes and a car going sideways, I think I might want to give this a go. Not looking for something to live in long-term, but more so for taking to music festivals and having long vacations in. I've not bought a bus or started much of a budget, but I'm just walking around the rabbit hole and trying to absorb up as much information you can call me SpongeBob SkooliePants.

Can you guys give me some must-read resources and some great tips? I'm looking forward to going down this path!

I appreciate the help, thanks y'all!

chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:06 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Welcome, and all the best to you on your search and build.
The best thing I can say is read, read, read, everything on this forum. When that' is completed. REREAD, REREAD, and REREAD.
There are troves of good info. shared by some really good people here. Of course there are many places to learn, but here, most of the folks are friendly, and have good experiences to share.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:14 PM   #3
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
Welcome, and all the best to you on your search and build.
The best thing I can say is read, read, read, everything on this forum. When that' is completed. REREAD, REREAD, and REREAD.
There are troves of good info. shared by some really good people here. Of course there are many places to learn, but here, most of the folks are friendly, and have good experiences to share.

Thank you! I've been bookmarking a ton of info, whatever I find anything interesting I give it a once over and save it for later. Looking forward to learning a lot.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas EF
Engine: Cat 3126
We didn't read or even know of this site before our build. We looked at photos of layouts and went with it. Gut the bus, spray foam the walls and ceiling. Install subfloor. Frame. Live for freeeeeee!

Side note. If you are not experienced with building this place may be of value to you, although I have never seen any posts on how to properly frame. Use screws, not nails.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatters View Post
We didn't read or even know of this site before our build. We looked at photos of layouts and went with it. Gut the bus, spray foam the walls and ceiling. Install subfloor. Frame. Live for freeeeeee!

Side note. If you are not experienced with building this place may be of value to you, although I have never seen any posts on how to properly frame. Use screws, not nails.

Super stoked! I first saw a few posts on reddit.com/r/diy on school bus conversions and most of that was just photos without too many details. I'm 6'1" so I'd probably toss in raising the roof on there too!

I definitely need to look more into framing. If you have any good resources on that, I'd love the help! Thanks!
Old 06-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiggins View Post
Super stoked! I first saw a few posts on reddit.com/r/diy on school bus conversions and most of that was just photos without too many details. I'm 6'1" so I'd probably toss in raising the roof on there too!

I definitely need to look more into framing. If you have any good resources on that, I'd love the help! Thanks!

We didn't know until after we purchased our bus, that head height in buses can be drastically different. Some of the buses we were in like ours, are about 5'9" internal height, and some of the buses we were in were 6'5" internal height. As for framing we just made it up as we went. Check out our blog. [emoji1360]
Old 06-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #7
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatters View Post
We didn't know until after we purchased our bus, that head height in buses can be drastically different. Some of the buses we were in like ours, are about 5'9" internal height, and some of the buses we were in were 6'5" internal height. As for framing we just made it up as we went. Check out our blog. [emoji1360]

Just checked out your blog and gave you a follow on Instagram. You guys are exactly the content I'd like to see, and I'm sure will be a huge help to my adventure! Stoked to see more posts!
Old 06-06-2018, 05:47 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiggins View Post
Just checked out your blog and gave you a follow on Instagram. You guys are exactly the content I'd like to see, and I'm sure will be a huge help to my adventure! Stoked to see more posts!

Glad to help! [emoji1360]
Old 06-07-2018, 02:14 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Welcome,, When I read your title this came to mind.

Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post

https://youtu.be/n0YTfyJzN6g
Old 06-07-2018, 02:35 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post

What a BS acting job in the interview. That was as about a soft of landing as one could expect and I wouldn't even be out of breath after that.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote