Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-24-2016, 07:36 PM   #21
Bus Nut
 
REDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: ...little north of Toronto Ontario
Posts: 603
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahasiyam View Post
@REDD: And with Service Ontario, do you have some information for the register in RV ?
I went to the Ministry to change it into my name, already had safety and e-test done, painted, at this point empty...1 seat. In my hand I had a print out I made with the list of things I required plus vin number, gvw, length and some other info for my own use. The girl behind the counter had never done a conversion so she made a call to someone and while on the phone she asked me " do you have 4 of the 6 on this list" and I replied yes, I have all 6. But didn't tell her they were in my shed and garage and the bus was empty.
So as it stands now I have it in my name, fit, MH, UN PLATED. So I went for insurance....that's where I ran into a snag, they want pics of my motor home that looks like a van.
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:39 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 29
It's more simple than the SAAQ in Quebec

Thanks for the info !
rahasiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:10 PM   #23
Skoolie
 
prof.fate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 164
There is a loophole i've heard about - if you have a farm you can have a 'farm truck' and as long as you don't travel more than 100mi from your farm you don't need registration..therefore no insurance.

and people do drive tractors and such on the road here and obviously don't have registration or insurance.
A couple of HS's have a 'senior tractor day' where the HS seniors drive their tractors to school.

https://beavercountyradio.com/news/f...lass-last-day/

https://www.facebook.com/SSHSMrPaull...type=3&theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Prof.fate: I'm not sure.. Was that a rebuttal to my post? Because I was in agreement with you with my first post! Just asking because you quoted me at the bottom of your post..

You don't legally need insurance to own a vehicle or a house. You DO legally need insurance if you want to drive a vehicle on the public road system (or a house on the road, for that matter).
Save
prof.fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:22 AM   #24
Skoolie
 
prof.fate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 164
Too many poeple won't or can't stand up if they do something. So you need insurance to be sure the innocent victims are covered.


Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpeng View Post
Citizens are slaves of insurance company and the government.
prof.fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:25 AM   #25
Skoolie
 
prof.fate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 164
so...since you lied to the DMV don't stop there - grab few pics of any RV from this site and give it to your insurance company. Done.

now..it just so happens teh day after you took the pics you stripped it for a remodel, right? RIGHT?

Here in PA if you want classic or antique plates on your car the car needs to be STOCK..no aftermarket wheels. You can't use it as a daily driver.

Guess how many people follow those rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDD View Post
I went to the Ministry to change it into my name, already had safety and e-test done, painted, at this point empty...1 seat. In my hand I had a print out I made with the list of things I required plus vin number, gvw, length and some other info for my own use. The girl behind the counter had never done a conversion so she made a call to someone and while on the phone she asked me " do you have 4 of the 6 on this list" and I replied yes, I have all 6. But didn't tell her they were in my shed and garage and the bus was empty.
So as it stands now I have it in my name, fit, MH, UN PLATED. So I went for insurance....that's where I ran into a snag, they want pics of my motor home that looks like a van.
prof.fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:50 AM   #26
Bus Nut
 
REDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: ...little north of Toronto Ontario
Posts: 603
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by prof.fate View Post
so...since you lied to the DMV don't stop there - grab few pics of any RV from this site and give it to your insurance company. Done.

now..it just so happens teh day after you took the pics you stripped it for a remodel, right? RIGHT?

Here in PA if you want classic or antique plates on your car the car needs to be STOCK..no aftermarket wheels. You can't use it as a daily driver.

Guess how many people follow those rules?

I didn't lie my friend, the woman asked me a question and I answered it truthfully. She was vague on the question, I was the same on the answer.

Insurance company wants pics from an appraiser...inside and out....I could still run into the same issue finding insurance. They haven't said no, yet.

Same here in Onterrible Canada, vintage cars and historical plates, stock and you need another vehicle insured to prove it's not a daily driver...in order to get the cheaper insurance rate. You also need and appraisal for that vehicle.
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #27
Skoolie
 
prof.fate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 164
you knew what she meant. your bus isn't an rv..the parts aren't installed.

I could say my car is an RV..the parts are just on the shelves at home depot at the moment.

here the state will accept a pic from whomever.

As for insurance..never been asked for a picture, even when I had a classic car or camper or cargo trailer or boat..

Insurance has popped by to check the house though, driven by, etc. And have said 'do this or that or we won't renew your policy' - as in remove a tree, redo a roof, change a railing.

so go put the sink/toilet/bed in there and have him come look, take pics. Tell him it's winterizes so no, he can't run the water or flush the toilet,

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDD View Post
I didn't lie my friend, the woman asked me a question and I answered it truthfully. She was vague on the question, I was the same on the answer.

Insurance company wants pics from an appraiser...inside and out....I could still run into the same issue finding insurance. They haven't said no, yet.

Same here in Onterrible Canada, vintage cars and historical plates, stock and you need another vehicle insured to prove it's not a daily driver...in order to get the cheaper insurance rate. You also need and appraisal for that vehicle.
Save
prof.fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:59 AM   #28
Bus Nut
 
Hank's P-O-S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: MB
Posts: 278
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpeng View Post
I lived in communist nation where no human rights and property rights. But here in Canada the insurance company and the government actually control our property. Let fight for our property rights. I am paining in my ass I bought a school bus and took off all seats but no insurance company would insure it as a RV and the government would not give me a plate because it is not insured. I live in miserable Ontario, a socialist province, many youth went ISIS.
Christ bud..... You need to be grateful you live in a peaceful country, without constant threat of attack from terrorist organizations.

If you don't like Canada you CAN LEAVE, you are not a prisoner of this country.
First off, you DO NOT have an RV. Taking the seats out does not make it an RV. A school bus without seats is a 5 ton truck with a van body, it is a commercial vehicle.

To insure it as an rv, it needs to be an rv like others have said.
If you need to move your bus, I know that Ontario has temp tags. USE THEM THEY ARE YOUR FRIEND.

I have driven many times on temp tags because i know a vehicle will not pass an inspection.

Although I do live in the land of the free.....Manitoba! Without yearly inspections or smog regulations. You could probably register a washing machine here! Its all on faith with our wonderful "Manitoba Public Insurance" If it is in your name, they have to insure it! You don't even need pictures, all you need is to check a box that says you paid all pst!

Now I'm just being rude, rubbing all my wonderful freedom in your face, but I don't want you in this country if you hate it that much!
__________________
"...Baler twine tie downs goin' down the road
On two bald tires and an oversize load..."
Hank's P-O-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #29
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
Posts: 1,677
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Teeheehee.. That was a great post.

It's interesting that mandated private insurance in Ontario has brought prices up compared to the provincial insurance systems that many other provinces have adopted. Privatization is not a universal answer...
__________________
My build page: Armageddon - The Smell of Airborne Rust
jazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×