Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2017, 02:41 PM   #1

Renting a Skoolie?

I have a loose plan to quit my job in about a year and travel the country in a skoolie with my husband and 2 kids. Maybe for a year? I don't know how long! We have rental income we could live off of.

The problem is that neither of us has the technical knowledge, or the space (we live in Philly) to convert a bus ourselves. It seems like finding already converted skoolies is difficult.. so I was thinking that it would be easiest to RENT a skoolie from someone on a monthly basis.

Is there anyone here on the forum who would rent out their skoolie to first-time travelers? If so, what would they charge?

My other questions are logistical... some of the people and places we want to visit around the country are in dense urban areas. I imagine taking this huge bus around side streets and tight areas will be a nightmare. So what do we do if we're trying to visit someone in, say, New Orleans? Park it in a trailer park and then rent a car or get a taxi into the city? That seems like a huge hassle.

I just don't know how we would get this huge thing around to where we want to go.. even assuming we can learn to safely drive it. And don't we need a special license to drive something this big? It seems insane that you don't need a bus driving license to drive it.

I'm also concerned with the safety of the kids while the vehicle is in motion, and the security of someone breaking in and stealing our stuff. How safe can you make it?

Thanks everyone!

Rachel

racheljcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #2
Skoolie

Chassis: Sold
You may be better having someone convert one for you. The biggest issue in renting a skoolie would be insurance & Liability. It would have to be in your name to get a policy. One option would be to buy one and then sell it back to the same person when your done minus any wear and tear of course. That would be about the only feasible way to "rent" one.

You could also look at buying a used Motorhome that is easy to work on and a little better built (there are a few) than the regular foam & stick variety. They are out there, but your probably looking at the 10-20 year old Class A's which at a minimum will need a full set of tires.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
jctrembly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrembly View Post
You may be better having someone convert one for you. The biggest issue in renting a skoolie would be insurance & Liability. It would have to be in your name to get a policy. One option would be to buy one and then sell it back to the same person when your done minus any wear and tear of course. That would be about the only feasible way to "rent" one.

You could also look at buying a used Motorhome that is easy to work on and a little better built (there are a few) than the regular foam & stick variety. They are out there, but your probably looking at the 10-20 year old Class A's which at a minimum will need a full set of tires.

Thank you!I was under the impression that the advantage of the skoolie was the safety of the steel frame. Do you know what models or makes of Class A's would be that safe? I don't want to get an Airstream because then I have to buy a new truck to tow it!
racheljcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:03 PM   #4
Skoolie

Yes, school buses are tanks. That is a big reason many like then. If I had to buy a regular Motorhome it may be more like this one. But I'm not a big fan of the Cat engine. Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/172750055580

If you search eBay for "Bus Conversion" it will bring up some listings. Just keep looking and be flexible. In the end you always should look at something in person and if your not mechanically inclined by nature, pay a someone knowledgeable to inspect it. There are always exceptions to this, but they are exceptions.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:12 PM   #5
Skoolie

This has potential, but expect to spend at least the asking price to make it worth to live in. Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/112456781212

Old 06-28-2017, 03:56 PM   #6
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Wow, you had me at the Beaver Baronet Rothesay. I've never been in a Beaver, but I hear they are quite nice.

But that Mad Max MCI...Trucks would move out of your way.

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:38 PM   #7
Skoolie

Yeah, that engine isn't the most fuel efficient, but parts are still easy to come by, pretty darn tough (as long as the cooling system is good) and has a really great sound. 2 cycle Detroit's have a sound into their own.

As one person described it. The the only way to drive a old Detroit is to smash your hand in the door as hard as you can and then drive it like your all pissed off and in pain. -lol

These are the type of engines generators, fire trucks and anything else preferred that needed to go from cold start to Max rpm instantly without damaging the engine over and over again.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:39 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
The insurance and legal mumbo jumbo would be overwhelming.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:12 PM   #9
Skoolie

Wow you have a large list I do like the idea of having someone build one for you you could probably talk to somebody and get a nice floorplan down and come to terms on finances and have someone build something for you for 10 or $20,000 that you could easily drive anywhere they were made to pick up children and any neighborhood. You don't have to get the longest bus that's for sure maybe a nine or ten window, 56 pass. and you can always carry bikes along with you for getting in those tiny areas of town.
milkmanchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:30 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrembly View Post

I have a 37 passenger Ford/Bluebird that's fully converted for sale. It needs rear brakes, other than that it's a sound bus. Pm me if you'd like more information.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
jmcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:28 AM   #11

Bonjour ,
Je me demandais si vous aviez réaliser votre projet location skoolie nous sommes en construction du notre et aimerions aussi peut être offrir la location donc si vous avez des renseignements Merci
B the Change is offline   Reply With Quote