Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2015, 12:57 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Question Researching Before Doing

Greetings and salutations!

Folks really do call me "Otter".

Anyway, I do not yet have a skoolie of my own. I have wanted my own bus for many, many years. I want to be able to live in it, totally self contained, as in restroom, shower, kitchen, etc. I have some ideas how I'd like to do mine, and I have the backgrounds of (light) mechanic work, a little electrical (I would definitely need more education on this), welding, and automotive paint and body behind me. My hubbie, the one I would have to convince that this is the way to go, could handle the plumbing.

I joined this community to learn from those who already know what's going on where the bus is concerned, specifically those who actually LIVE in their skoolie!

I have been watching YouTube videos, reading blogs, looking at conversions of various kinds, etc. I have started looking up where to park it and how much rent would be, but so far, that part has been sadly lacking in information. I have been looking at solar panels and how to install them and what kind of batteries, and how many, and etc. I have been looking at "special" and not so special accouterments, such as appliances and cabinets.

I am at a point where I definitely know a lot more than I did, but I am also at that point where I realize there are questions I don't even know to ask.

So, anyone who reads this and lives full time (preferably with a family and pets) in their skoolie, could you please "skool" me? Bad pun, I know.

Thank you in advance!

Oh! Here's a question I just now thought of: driver's licenses. If we don't have a permanent address, how exactly does one deal with driver's licenses (in Texas)?

Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I recall reading in the last few years that South Dakota was/is a popular domicile for nomadic full-timers. I guess it's relatively easy to set up and maintain "residency" there, get a driver license issued there, etc. Here's an article I found about it just now. It touches on vehicle registration, driver licensing, mail forwarding, etc.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #3
Skoolie

Post State of residence, product reviews (unpaid)

As far as legal residence, there is a company in TX that facilitates that for you, including mail forwarding. I found it on a blog for full-time RVers. (mostly wild-camping/boondocking)

Their website is GoneWithTheWynns.com. They also have quite a bit of information and how-to's, and (unpaid) honest product reviews about things that you ask about. You won't find anything Skoolie related, but they are green, and have been using solar and off-grid systems for years, and have many professional videos with all the details (Jason is a professional photographer/videographer). They also have a list of resources that I have found quite useful, especially regarding electronics, internet and phone service while on the road.