Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #1

Year: 2003
Roam'n Iguana - Mobile Technology Center

We recently purchased at 2003 International Blue Bird 72 passenger bus with the idea of turning it into a mobile technology center for elementary students. We wrote a grant, purchased a bus for pennies, and have now gotten it back from the painter. We will be wrapping graphics on the side and installing activities inside to take to area schools as well as hitting all of the community events and ballgames.

I need some help with putting an AC/Heat pump in it. We would like to go with a roof mount on the upper emergency exits. Doable? Any forum links to a how to? Any ideas or direction would be awesome!

Fresh from the painter ->

What we envision it will look like wrapped ->

sir_squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
Bus Geek

welcome
biggest issue will be power to supply probably 3 ac units, 1 will not cool or heat a bus with kids and equipment in it (I don't think)
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #3

We are planning on putting two units in with two 4000 watt generators mounted underneath. We will also be using MS Surface Pro 3 tablets unplugged so the power need for the activities will very low. There will probably be limited summertime use as students are away.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:12 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
What or who is funding this if you don't mind me asking?

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:34 PM   #5

The project is funded through a grant and some industry donations. The focus of the project is to provide students with an early exposure to career options and help them identify pathways to achieving their goals.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:10 PM   #6
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
nice bus, not so much on abusing my tax dollars.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:00 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Nice looking bus, the color is really eye catching.
Just disregard any rude members here.
Why two small generators instead of one larger one?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:20 PM   #8
Bus Geek

I also respectfully disagree with the abuse of tax money. But hey, that little bit is nothing compared to what the government wastes.

IMO this bus is a personal project funded by tax money. Anything happening in this bus could have been accomplished in a class room for less cost.

However please do not stop posting. We all like pics.

I'm also interested in why two generators Vs one larger one?

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 04-21-2015, 08:51 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Unfortunately the OP mistook this site for somewhere to discuss buses.

OP- you have nothing to prove. You're doing your own thing in your own time. That's all that matters. Were your funding comes from, who you work for, or who you vote for doesn't and shouldn't matter. Its not supposed to, anyhow.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:02 PM   #10

Thanks for the support EastCoastCB! The students will never forget the big green bus and what they are learning through it! We are still looking at generator options but partially because of the size of the compartments and the cost, we found two smaller ones to be cheaper. Do you have any suggestions?

We are a trade school and our students have utilized this as classroom projects in the development. Our graphic design students will be applying the wrap, welding students built the tables inside, the web design students are working on interactive activities for students to participate, the electrical trades students will be wiring and determining proper loads, the HVAC students will be plumbing the AC system, the automotive technology students will be working on the engine, construction trades students will be working on table tops, and the list goes on. This has be an opportunity for students to get some unique hands-on training that they can add to their portfolio. Since the beginning of this project, we understood the importance of building this project in house and avoiding over priced outsourcing and also building a skill set in our students. We live by Aristotle quote, "What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing."

Our students will go on to be successful with the skills they have gained through their training and we are proud of our students and their success stories!

You should see our engine build team! Five students took a 350 Chevy high performance engine from fully built, to completely tore down and back up in less than 20 min! Those students earned thousands of dollars in scholarships to continue their education and one student in particular WILL be on a NASCAR pit crew soon!

Nat, It's a little hard to go into an elementary classroom for us because we are a high school and adult training facility but this gives us an opportunity to visit schools in our area and around the state to raise awareness of the growing skills gap.

I'm sure we will have lots of pics to come!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:30 PM   #11
Bus Geek

I'm looking forward to pics.

Nat

Old 04-21-2015, 11:47 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Coachwork: bluebird
Where Sir Squirrel are you located? It would be great to be able to see first hand your students in progress and maybe even offer some hands-on advise.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:18 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
I need some help with putting an AC/Heat pump in it. We would like to go with a roof mount on the upper emergency exits. Doable? Any forum links to a how to? Any ideas or direction would be awesome!
I don't normally question the advisability of closing off emergency exits, but this is going to be a class room with students. You may even run into problems with some government entity that wants to flex his/her power. Why not install mini splits? They are probably more efficient than RV roof airs and would be more like what a HVAC tech would run into later in life. You could keep the emergency exits as is.

As far as I know there aren't any roof airs that are heat pumps. Just AC units with a small heater added.

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:24 AM   #14
Bus Geek

rooftop ac units do have optional heat strips.
I wouldn't delete any emergency exits though. I too suggest split ac system(s).
They are quieter and more efficient, too.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:30 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
rooftop ac units do have optional heat strips
Yes, but that isn't a heat pump. Which, is what OP asked about.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:33 AM   #16
Bus Geek

I think its what he was referring to though. Anyhow was just adding it in for info.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:10 AM   #17

PERFECT! I hadn't thought of putting a mini-split in! Our students have put many of those in and for some reason, we just had in our heads the idea of it being like an RV. That solves a lot of our issues and simplifies the process for us as well as allowing us to incorporate the unit itself into the HVAC demonstration activity!

Thanks for the input!!!
Old 04-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Yep. Split systems are awesome.
Your students should take LOTS of photos and do a tutorial walk through as they do the install(s).
Old 04-22-2015, 02:12 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Somebody... aaronsb, maybe (?) dropped a little hint recently about the existence of 48V dc powered air conditioning units. I hadn't considered that they might exist, but anyway, they do. If you feel like dragging solar power into the project too, there exist heat pump units which can run entirely from 48V dc as well as hybrid systems that require both 48V and 240V mains.

IMHO if you'll be running a generator.. and surely you will.. this is one place where you really shouldn't pinch pennies. Low noise is going to be an extreme priority so that it doesn't create a distraction. Look at the Honda, Yamaha, and maybe Cummins-Onan inverter units.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:33 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
IMHO if you'll be running a generator.. and surely you will.. this is one place where you really shouldn't pinch pennies. Low noise is going to be an extreme priority so that it doesn't create a distraction. Look at the Honda, Yamaha, and maybe Cummins-Onan inverter units.
I highly agree with this.

Also heat pumps are a gimmick. They are just a AC system with a few more parts, under a different name.

Nat