Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #1

Rochester, Massachusetts

Greetings, everyone...!

My wife and I have been talking about getting ourselves an RV for years now. We love our two boys like parents should, but with one out of college and married, and the other starting college next month, we can literally feel our freedom getting closer and closer...!

We're pretty project oriented folks and I'm pretty handy, so talking about RVs and looking into the prices and layouts got us thinking about building our very own. Simply put, the more we talk about converting a bus, the more we love the idea. Hence, my appearance here on this wonderful website.

BTW, a couple of years ago I got an old motorcycle that had been sitting for 20 years. I had never taken a motorcycle (paper-weight) apart before, but with the help of a couple of vintage bike rebuild forums, I was able to completely restore that old Honda and ride it around, reliably, for the following couple of years.

Now, I fully realize that building a school bus conversion is not at all the same thing as restoring an old motorcycle - Please don't think I'm comparing the two. I mention it only to make the point that I know how invaluable forums like this one can be and, having looked over a whole bunch of threads here, y'all seem like genuine, friendly, helpful folks, and I'm looking forward to asking a whole bunch of silly questions pretty soon.

So, we have just now started to think about what we want. Last night, we started making a list of Wants and Needs, and we're pretty sure that we're going to want a shorter bus. Not the kind with a van front or shuttle bus, but a full-on school bus that's just shorter. First, the only place I've got to work on it is my driveway, and there's no way I'd fit a full size school bus in my driveway. Second, because it'll be our first conversion, and I'm hoping that converting a shorter bus is the same as converting a full size one...with just less of everything.

I realize that this intro is really just a whole lot about nothing, so I'll end it here. Suffice it to say though, we're already really enjoying reading through all the posts here, we're both excited about getting started soon, and I thank y'all in advance for all the advice I'm sure I'll be begging for down the road.

Steve

Swestleyj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:04 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Welcome to the site, Steve.
As far as procuring a bus goes, there are many websites as well as online auction sites that offer about any size bus you could want.
The trick is finding one without rust, and one that needs little to no mechanical work to start with.

There is a wealth of information on here about the years to pick from, and years stay clear of.

Searching outside the rust belt will get you the best specimen to sink your hard earned money in without having to do too much rust remediation.

Good luck...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote