Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2019, 09:39 PM   #1

Sayin' Hey from PA! The journey begins!

New member here and we've set in motion a 3 year countdown to full-time skoolie living. You guys will definitely be seeing more of me as I'm sure we'll have a ton of questions. We look forward to getting to know some of you.

RustyFuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #2
Skoolie

Welcome to the madness! There are a few fellow PA members and a bunch within a state or two. I plan on full-timing as well, but who knows how long it will take!(snags) When you get time, throw some location info and maybe even what you are you are searching for in your profile info(sidebar). Reading the valuable info that is already here is also a great idea.
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyFuller View Post
New member here and we've set in motion a 3 year countdown to full-time skoolie living. You guys will definitely be seeing more of me as I'm sure we'll have a ton of questions. We look forward to getting to know some of you.
Welcome to the bureaucratic hell that is building a skoolie in PA! You definitely want to go the route of registering your bus as a motor home in Vermont, at least until your conversion is complete and you can have it inspected by PennDOT and have it titled and registered as a motor home in PA. The information on the Vermont registration process is scattered and somewhat confusing and this usually leads to applications being returned by VT one or more times before being accepted (I was lucky and only got mine returned once, despite being coached through the entire form by a Vermont DMV person).
Old 06-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Keep in mind registering it in Vt. as a MH may prevent you from getting anything other than commercial liability coverage until it is converted. I don't see the Vt. advantage with this scenario.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:36 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
One thing to consider long term is where you plan to officially domicile once full time. If you are on the road all the time you can choose a favorable state as home base.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:16 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Keep in mind registering it in Vt. as a MH may prevent you from getting anything other than commercial liability coverage until it is converted. I don't see the Vt. advantage with this scenario.
I live in PA, my bus is registered in VT as a MH, and I currently have motor home insurance on it ($350 a year) - not commercial liability coverage. The only alternative in PA (prior to actually completing the conversion) is to register your bus as a school bus, which costs about $850 a year and means you need a CDL to drive it. I'm not sure why you don't see the VT advantage here.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:21 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I live in PA, my bus is registered in VT as a MH, and I currently have motor home insurance on it ($350 a year) - not commercial liability coverage. The only alternative in PA (prior to actually completing the conversion) is to register your bus as a school bus, which costs about $850 a year and means you need a CDL to drive it. I'm not sure why you don't see the VT advantage here.
If it isn't converted, good luck filing a claim. When the insurance company sees that it is not a MH, they likely will deny any claim.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Welcome to the bureaucratic hell that is building a skoolie in PA! You definitely want to go the route of registering your bus as a motor home in Vermont, at least until your conversion is complete and you can have it inspected by PennDOT and have it titled and registered as a motor home in PA. The information on the Vermont registration process is scattered and somewhat confusing and this usually leads to applications being returned by VT one or more times before being accepted (I was lucky and only got mine returned once, despite being coached through the entire form by a Vermont DMV person).
Thanks for the info. That's a huge help. I'll be sure to look around to try and piece all the info together for the Vermont registration.
RustyFuller is offline   Reply With Quote