Old 04-07-2016, 05:12 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Scared and excited!

I'm a single mom from Ohio. I have been considering getting a bus for about 6 months. I really love the idea of taking on this project with my soon to be 13 year old son. Then i start to feel over whelmed. I believe traveling in a skoolie would be a life changing experience for both of us but is it really possible for someone with limited building skills and zero electrical or plumbing skills? Encouragement or reality checks welcome☺
Oh, I am a home health aid and would be bringing my client with us. She is really more family than client but i thought it is worth mentioning i have the blessing of being able to bring my job with me.
mschleppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
That's an interesting new angle on home health care. Sure you can do it. Just look at it in small steps, talk to people and keep your steps in the right order. Your son should be pretty helpful in this endeavor.
Welcome. There's a lot of information here.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:57 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks robin97396

I started with my client/friend 22 years ago. I was 18 and she was 9. We've lived together before and have basically been together everyday for the last 22 years lol. Most home health aids are probably not in a position to hit the road with a client. We have vacationed together for years too. I really want to do this. I would love to be able to help other people who are handicapped or have a handicapped family member get out and go. Thank you for your encouragement.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:13 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Considering the age of some of us here, we've got the bus already and probably should be looking for a nurse. Same idea but different driver.
This is actually a pretty neat way to live if you enjoy traveling that much of the time. I'm still looking forward to seeing how that goes as my build is just starting after wintering in this big metal box. A wood stove is the absolute best idea to keep things dry during the winters, if you can spare that much room.
Do you know what kind of bus you're looking for? You're about to be avalanched by suggestions by others. What are you comfortable driving?
Old 04-07-2016, 06:16 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
You CAN do it, you just have to really want it.
Just don't create any certain time you think you have to be done by, and go at it. Everything will take longer than expected and cost more than planned, but it can totally be done. The more hands on and eager to learn one is the better off, IMO.
Whats you location?
Old 04-07-2016, 06:52 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Hi EastCoastCB. Wanting it is the easy part. I dream of doing it and spend hours watching YouTube on Pex plumbing and water tanks lol. My goal is to purchase a bus in the next few months. I'm not sure which type of bus would work best for my needs. I live in central Ohio, just north of Columbus. I would be thrilled if i got the bus this summer and was ready by next summer to head West.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:59 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Robin97396 for now the bus would be for recreation and not long term housing. My son is in a really good school district and bus life wouldn't be possible in our current community. However, when he goes off to college i may transition to a full timer. Too soon to know if a woodstove Would fit among the other necessities. I was thinking of a propane heater but will need to research more.
I'm not sure what bus would be the best fit for me. I need space as most of the time there will be 4 or 5 of us traveling. My mom (71 years young) my client, my son, myself and sometimes my sons brother or his friend. Also I'll need a big bathroom for handicap access. Ir many people have a master bedroom in the back then a bunk room. I would sacrifice the bedroom for a large bathroom and have 4 bunks and a sleep worthy built n couch.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschleppi View Post
Hi EastCoastCB. Wanting it is the easy part. I dream of doing it and spend hours watching YouTube on Pex plumbing and water tanks lol. My goal is to purchase a bus in the next few months. I'm not sure which type of bus would work best for my needs. I live in central Ohio, just north of Columbus. I would be thrilled if i got the bus this summer and was ready by next summer to head West.
If WEST is you goal, get you bus out there. They have the good ones. I'd stay away from Michigan/Ohio area due to corrosion.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #9
Bus Geek

So are you looking for a forward control (flatnose) or conventional? Rear engine (RE) or front engine (FE)? Some people like to go pretty fast on the freeways, others don't mind traveling a little slower. Some people find the forward control buses to strange feeling to drive, but they do offer the most floor space than a conventional bus.
Just interested in seeing where you mind is on bus type.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Where I'm most concerned is air brakes. They freak me out a little, OK a lot lol. I am open to different bus types because i figure which ever bus type I end up with will be a learning curve. I have no bus driving experience currently. I like the idea of more floor space. Going fast is nice and all but not really the goal so if i sacrafice speed to get space it's okay with me.

Tags
newbies