Old 09-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #1

Smile School District Director looking for expert advice!

Hi all -

I am the Director of a small school district. We have a 96 Transit style 53 seater school bus with a newer engine which became out of compliance with California's new emission requirements. (Yes, they mandated it and did not fund it). It is now unable to be driven by us without an emission swap out.

We opted for two new buses. This leaves us with this older bus (we affectionately call her 501). Putting her to scrap would bring us about 250.00. Putting her to auction about the same.

We have a construction class here that has built numerous houses through the community. They are interested in taking the bus for either a tiny house or a conversion.

Any of you experts have thoughts, ideas, suggestions or "watch-out's"? Of course I'm worried about the DMV, etc. The thought is that after the class works with it for a few years we might be able to sell it as a fundraiser. I have absolute confidence in our instructor and the abilities of his students.

Thought One: Tiny house or conversion?
Thought Two: Am I foolish for even considering this? (Just thinking about the CA DMV right now gives me anxiety)

Any input is very welcome. ab
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome Bean,

That sounds like a great project for an Ag or construction trades class.

In my view, a "tiny home" built in a bus and a "conversion" are pretty much the same thing as long as the "tiny home" moves down the road under its own power.

I have seen a few poor/non runners turned into stationary tiny homes but if it runs, IMHO, it is a conversion.

I am hoping some of the CA contingent chimes in with details regarding RV titling and emissions in CA. I looked into it for another project and found CA to be very obtuse and confusing regarding older, diesel RV's.

Good luck on your project.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #3

found CA to be very obtuse and confusing

"found CA to be very obtuse and confusing"

Sigh... you have no idea...
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post

Lived in OC for a number of years before I escaped. Wouldn't move back with a gun to my head. Some folks love it there. It was not a good fit for me.

Now I live in a town of just over 2000 in a county of 6000 that boasts one single stop light in the whole county.

More my speed. Sloooow....
Old 09-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #5

I think with a little diging you will find the DMV will give verry appliable requirments for a cconvershion. The dmv will issue you a new title reading rv when the convershion is compleat and inspected. The class probly wont take very long converting it not years at least. One maybe. But i vote convershion.... It allready has wheels....
Roadflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post

I was once kicked off our own property in ca for having an rv in a plot that didnt have hook ups... loopholes...
Old 09-11-2018, 04:25 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadflower View Post
I think with a little diging you will find the DMV will give verry appliable requirments for a cconvershion.
Perhaps I am not the sharpest tool in the shed... I did a lot of digging and found contradictory info on different pages of CA DMV's website and even more confusion when I managed to get a live person on the phone.

I am, in my own defence, smart enough to figure out the process in WA, OR and AZ.

Perhaps you have some details that will point OP in the right direction?
Old 09-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #8

I can certianly do some digging im on a bunch of skoolie cites and know for a fact there are people in LA that i talk to with a familey living in a skoolie. They can help let me ask
Old 09-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Whomever told it was only worth $250 at auction doesn't know what they are talking about. Buses that don't even run are going for $1500+. Scrap right now is way down at $4/100lbs. My bus weighs 19400, figure 15000 of it is salvageable, that $600. Wheels and tires in good condition $1500. Air brake compressor $300, etc.
The class project is a very good one and I wouldn't be worried about Calif. at all. When it's done list it nationally or internationally and someone will buy it who doesn't have to deal with the lame state of Calif.
To me, Tiny Homes don't move, Skoolies do, build a Skoolie.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadflower View Post
I can certianly do some digging im on a bunch of skoolie cites and know for a fact there are people in LA that i talk to with a familey living in a skoolie. They can help let me ask
What other Skoolie sites?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, need advice, tiny house