Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2018, 12:39 PM   #1

Year: 1997
Talking SchoolNewbie

Hi guys,
First time posting. I have been in the research phase for almost 2 years and it just seems to be endless. I’ve spent hours searching govdeals & craigslists adds, googling, Pinteresting, and watching YouTube conversion videos.

BUT, My husband and I are newly married and have decided Its TIME to start our bus search! We’re hoping to find a bus by late spring so we can begin our build this summer.

I am so thankful for resources on the page & just how supportive the Skoolie community is as a whole!

Very excited to start this journey!

Aylienshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Believe me when I say this: The time is now. This opportunity is not going to last.

So many people talk to us when we're out and about. Most of them, their voices are saying they want to do this too but their reality is that they can't, they won't, somewhere in between. Life happens while you're making plans. My hands hurt after I work on my bus, maybe in 5 years I won't be able to do that any more.

Not to mention the available buses right now are the ones you want, and as they get older they get fewer. For many of us, worthwhile buses haven't been made since 2004. That's a long time ago and will be even longer soon.

So let's do this! Let's turn dreams into reality. It's up to us to live the best life we can, nobody will do it for us.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Welcome, and good luck with the hunt! There are a few of us searching for our first buses right now, so you're in good company.
jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:10 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Believe me when I say this: The time is now. This opportunity is not going to last.

So many people talk to us when we're out and about. Most of them, their voices are saying they want to do this too but their reality is that they can't, they won't, somewhere in between. Life happens while you're making plans. My hands hurt after I work on my bus, maybe in 5 years I won't be able to do that any more.

Not to mention the available buses right now are the ones you want, and as they get older they get fewer. For many of us, worthwhile buses haven't been made since 2004. That's a long time ago and will be even longer soon.

So let's do this! Let's turn dreams into reality. It's up to us to live the best life we can, nobody will do it for us.
Good stuff,
That was us when having kids. She said if we waited till things were perfect we would never had any. Gotta have faith and jump in.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Yeah, so tell us what you're looking for. There's nothing like having a couple hundred extra eyes that know what you're looking for. Also, how far are you willing to go to get the bus of your choice? Some drive all the way across the country. In the winter. With a hole in the windshield. On the driver's side.

I am still very impressed with that journey, but you got to admit it's kind of a comical string of bad luck. On the other hand the bus ran well on it's 3k mile journey. I like that bus, and probably all these people looking for a flatter roof on a bus should like it too.

So what are we looking for, for you. Short, long, something in between?
Old 02-20-2018, 07:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Yeah, so tell us what you're looking for. There's nothing like having a couple hundred extra eyes that know what you're looking for. Also, how far are you willing to go to get the bus of your choice? Some drive all the way across the country. In the winter. With a hole in the windshield. On the driver's side.

I am still very impressed with that journey, but you got to admit it's kind of a comical string of bad luck. On the other hand the bus ran well on it's 3k mile journey. I like that bus, and probably all these people looking for a flatter roof on a bus should like it too.

So what are we looking for, for you. Short, long, something in between?
We wanna go big! Hoping to find around 40 ft. (Which I believe is 84 pass right?) we’re going to go full time in the bus so we want all the sq feet we can get.
& We’re from Michigan so we will probably try to find something out West to pick up and drive home. Make a lil road trip out of it.
So far on our bus “wish list” is
- 64- 84 passenger.
-front engine (our diesel mechanic buddy is recommending we get a Dt466 with Allison transmition)
- Automatic. (My husband can drive manual, but I can’t.)
- as much head room as possible.
- & hopefully for around $3k
We’re also hoping to find a bus that has the rear swinging emergency door with a side swinging emergency door. (We’re imagining turning the side emergency door into the “front” door.)

Thanks for the support!
Old 02-20-2018, 07:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post

Yes! You’re completely right. The time IS now!

THIS spring we are buying a bus & building our home!
Old 02-20-2018, 07:27 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Don't get too hung up on the number of passengers. Mine is 40' and was rated for 46 passengers.

The number of windows behind the driver is a better estimate, and a tape measure even better

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:40 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Right now there are a passel of medium sized 9 window buses here in Beaverton, OR that will sell on the 23rd and 24th. Prices are pretty low right now, but you know how that works.

So you want a 40' with headroom, highway gears and a big engine. That's getting to be the hard item because of the competition for them.

My bus is 26' and I have parking problems. Length has limits.

On the other hand you'll never find yourself saying "Hey, we have to much space in this bus."

See if you can find a bus with the 530 in it. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:20 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Good luck on your search!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:07 PM   #11

Well the money is officially out of the savings & into a “school bus” checking account! If you see our lady send her is this way, I’ll keep everyone posted when we find her!!

*preferably
Attached Thumbnails
2A6E03B6-7928-4B3C-A320-069CE21FE63F.jpg