Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2019, 12:24 PM   #1
Skoolie

Seeking skoolie expert/professional

Since February, I’ve been doing research and seeking a “good” bus for conversion. I have not been successful. I’m also not mechanically savvy, I don’t even know how to pump gas in a car.

I have the funds for the project, and unless, I can find a skoolie professional -expert- to consult with, someone who can make decisions and guide me, I will be forced to buy an RV.

I am a 61 year old female, the skoolie will be my home. I don’t have any family, and it will be just my cat and myself going on this journey.

During the last two months, I have gone through some very rough patches just trying to find a bus.

When I put my things in storage in February, I thought by now, the project would have been finished. But, I haven’t even started.

There are other factors of urgency which now, I’m also forced to “deal” with.

The living arrangements I made in February came to an end on Memorial Day weekend. An additional extension ends today.

With no other option, I will be going to a hotel, and unless, I can get a bus, looking for an apartment will be the next step I will be forced to make.

I’m on Long Island, and just to get into anything will be about $10k of upfront fees. I will also need to buy a car, look for employment, and start resettlement. And just to even think about that.... brings tears to my eyes.

So, this is my final approach to the final countdown.

If there’s anyone out there that can work with me, that can help with such an endeavor, someone who can help me jump over this hurdle, I will... I will forever be grateful.

Thank you for reading.

Désirée

Dèsirée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:01 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dèsirée View Post
Since February, I’ve been doing research and seeking a “good” bus for conversion. I have not been successful. I’m also not mechanically savvy, I don’t even know how to pump gas in a car.

I have the funds for the project, and unless, I can find a skoolie professional -expert- to consult with, someone who can make decisions and guide me, I will be forced to buy an RV.

I am a 61 year old female, the skoolie will be my home. I don’t have any family, and it will be just my cat and myself going on this journey.

During the last two months, I have gone through some very rough patches just trying to find a bus.

When I put my things in storage in February, I thought by now, the project would have been finished. But, I haven’t even started.

There are other factors of urgency which now, I’m also forced to “deal” with.

The living arrangements I made in February came to an end on Memorial Day weekend. An additional extension ends today.

With no other option, I will be going to a hotel, and unless, I can get a bus, looking for an apartment will be the next step I will be forced to make.

I’m on Long Island, and just to get into anything will be about $10k of upfront fees. I will also need to buy a car, look for employment, and start resettlement. And just to even think about that.... brings tears to my eyes.

So, this is my final approach to the final countdown.

If there’s anyone out there that can work with me, that can help with such an endeavor, someone who can help me jump over this hurdle, I will... I will forever be grateful.

Thank you for reading.

Désirée
Welcome to the forum Desiree - there are many experts here as well as experienced amateurs who I'm sure will help all they can
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 02:57 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
If, given the only option that seems available to you, is to basically drop anchor and settle in, why not look into other locations?
LI is not a particularly cheap part of the world. If you're possibly going to be stuck someplace, reworking your itinerary with all the attendant BS, maybe wend your way south, some.
You'll be closer to better busses, and with a bit of judicious research, can find a place considerably closer to your comfort level regarding cost of living expenses.
Wish that I could've been of more help...
Old 06-02-2019, 03:09 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Welcome to the site Desiree. Please don't take this advice as anything more than what it is, personal advice. It is not intended to be a personal attack or degradation aimed at you. It is only my opinion, and we all know what opinions are worth...

Since time doesn't seem to be working in your favor, and your admitted mechanical knowledge is not great, converting a schoolbus into a camper on your own would not be a wise move.
There's just so many facets to doing a conversion that require some degree of mechanical as well as electrical engineering expertise, as well as having the place to park it to do the actual work on LI, doesn't really make sense to jump into that big of a project at this time.

An already converted skoolie or road ready RV would be what I'd recommend.
Good luck, and keep us posted on how you decide to go...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
Skoolie

I appreciate your soothing words, and you’re so right, there was no way... me, myself or I could have even envisioned the start up of such a task. It was always my intention to get a professional to do the conversion.

What I was not expecting was, not having the start up -and I mean that in the most literal of ways. And yes, I have travelled the many roads people have suggested. And some, were roads less travelled.

I have followed, chased and hopped through bus yards to the point where I was scared of falling in a sea of yellow metal —not literally, but at 5’2” and one half, inches in height —and let’s not forget that half inch— that’s what it seemed.

So, it’s time to call in the field experts, reinforcements, or the skoolie Gods, whichever can hear me first!!!
Old 06-02-2019, 06:48 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
If on a serious time crunch... It doesn't really *HAVE* to be a bus.
I'd be getting a travel trailer if I needed somewhere to live tomorrow.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:58 PM   #7
Skoolie

HA! I missed this post earlier... if this is going to happen, is either now or never! Relocating to a totally strange place, and not being mobile is not and option to consider. For that I would just get an RV and adjust. But I hate the way they look inside... all that brown paneling, arrggghh!

Like I mentioned to Mr. Sledd____ before, time to find all the skoolie Gods... which by the way, aren’t you one?
Old 06-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Way easier to paint the brown paneling than build an rv from scratch real fast.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/199...-37-5007521787
Old 06-02-2019, 07:52 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Just quickly scanned. Seems a mite steep (not unlike stepping off the Grand Canyon's North Rim might be considered a wee drop), at least to us hard-cores.
But, it would both fill your bill, while significantly emptying your IRA...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post

And doesn't it sport those dreaded emission "upgrades"..?
Old 06-02-2019, 08:18 PM   #10
Skoolie

I missed East Coast CB post as well.. still can’t get used to this format, but I do like the clean and neat typing screen.

So, a travel trailer plus a car. A vehicle that can handle the trailer, which means, probably not a big trailer.... and with the trailer comes a black tank as well, which I was soooooo totally trying to avoid.

And I guess no solar panels and no raised roof....

But on the bright side, no long term stay hotels and no rental cars.

And on the very bright side, much better gas mileage
and I don’t have to deal with air breaks.

Which by the way, here in NYS, they’re forcing me to get a CDL permit before I can get behind a school bus to learn how to drive a school bus with air brakes.

So then, after spending a couple of thousands, I can take the test that according to DMV, 90% of those who take it, are guaranteed to fail. Or like a driving school said, “a10% success rate” and I kid you not, is what I say to you!

When I found out about the air brakes, I looked all over this site for any postings, yet, air brakes is not an issue anyone is concerned with. I did get a couple of remarks, noting how easy the test is. Perhaps, I should be heading towards that State instead.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:27 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
As restrictive as NY seems to be on it's hard working, taxpaying citizens, maybe you should consider a move out. Especially as it seems from your earlier posting, you have no family there?
Just a thought, I'm sure you likely have reasons you want to stay there...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:31 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

I was(& remain) uncertain to whom you were talking to. Narcissist that I am, I'll just move forward from that presumptuous premise.

Me, I wasn't recommending a trailer, but to flat-out get an all-inclusive self motor-vated unit. (You would not believe what auto correct wanted to call, "motor-bated...")
ECCB directed you to a pre-converted Skoolie down in his neck of the woods. Well, swamp- it IS FL, after all.
BTW, the air-brake requirement is a nationwide standard. For commercial vehicles! You are much better off not getting a bus that's local to you.
What sign comes between Leo and Virgo..?

Quote:
I missed East Coast CB post as well.. still can’t get used to this format, but I do like the clean and neat typing screen.

So, a travel trailer plus a car. A vehicle that can handle the trailer, which means, probably not a big trailer.... and with the trailer comes a black tank as well, which I was soooooo totally trying to avoid.

Which by the way, here in NYS, they’re forcing me to get a CDL permit before I can get behind a school bus to learn how to drive a school bus with air brakes.

So then, after spending a couple of thousands, I can take the test that according to DMV, 90% of those who take it, are guaranteed to fail. Or like a driving school said, “a10% success rate” and I kid you not, is what I say to you!

When I found out about the air brakes, I looked all over this site for any postings, yet, air brakes is not an issue anyone is concerned with. I did get a couple of remarks, noting how easy the test is. Perhaps, I should be heading towards that State instead.
Are you kidding me?!!

Quote:
HA! I missed this post earlier... if this is going to happen, is either now or never! Relocating to a totally strange place, and not being mobile is not and option to consider. For that I would just get an RV and adjust. But I hate the way they look inside... all that brown paneling, arrggghh!

Like I mentioned to Mr. Sledd____ before, time to find all the skoolie Gods... which by the way, aren’t you one?
On a good day, I have delusions of adequacy!
Old 06-02-2019, 09:49 PM   #13
Skoolie

Yes Peteg59, heading out of Long Island, out of NY, and going south. Lost everything here. No reason to keep thinking of all that I had and no longer have.

Instead, it’s time to think about the things I wish I would have had, but never had the time to think about it.... the simple things... visiting coastal towns, getting different day jobs, embracing new experiences, learning new things, but above all, meeting and appreciating the people you were lucky enough to meet along the way!

Now the time has come to think of the things, I never had, but now I have the chance
Old 06-03-2019, 07:06 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Just quickly scanned. Seems a mite steep (not unlike stepping off the Grand Canyon's North Rim might be considered a wee drop), at least to us hard-cores.
But, it would both fill your bill, while significantly emptying your IRA...And doesn't it sport those dreaded emission "upgrades"..?
Its a Wanderlodge, built BY Bluebird.
Its asking price is about what one would have to spend on a "skoolie" and its got a way more desirable drivetrain with both OD's unlocked on the 3060 and 300 hp.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:09 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:

Do you currently own any motor vehicle?
Old 06-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:

Duplicate post, nevermind
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:

Didn't know Bluebird made coach type transits.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:24 PM   #18
Skoolie

No, I didn’t need to until now. But I have owned many,
until 2017- Just rented a car as well.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:33 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Didn't know Bluebird made coach type transits.
Yeah, top of the line.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:13 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Or maybe an MCI-
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/197...I-7-5006576093

Ready to roll for 27k.