Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2017, 07:04 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Signing on from ABQ.

I figure it is about time to say hello. I have been holding up the wall watching you all dance for the last couple years, and now alas, I have a bus.

After much search I found the one for me, a 1994 Blue Bird All American with an 8.3. If I had known how much fun it would be to fly 800 miles away to pick up a bus and drive it back over long a weekend, I would have pulled the trigger years ago.

Plan is a basic camping vehicle and slowly transition to a full time setup with all (most) comforts. Jack of all trades, master of none, and I look forward to making mistakes along the way, sharing experiences, and learning from the wisdom on this site.

I have 521 questions so far, but will save them as I go along and read what was already discussed.

Thank you to the masses for what I have learned so far, and advanced thanks for what is still left.

Cheers!

Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:43 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome to the Madhouse! Keep us up on your adventure.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:24 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
looking forward to your progress. im always envious of the ones that flew 800 miles or so to get the bus and drive it back. mine was 30 minutes away, looking back on it now i wished it would've been a couple hours at least because it was fun as hell to drive! the girlfriend following me in the car couldnt keep up lol! she said i was going about 68 - old speedo wouldnt go past 60 though.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Thank you for the welcoming. Very much looking forward to the next few years, optimistic about progress, but also realistic that this is a long process of passion and not for the faint of heart.

I hear you BurlKing, excitement overtook anxiety at about fifty miles into my trip, the rest was a blast! She cruised at 75 all day long and I tied a camp hammock between window frames for the overnight. Good times.

For the group: my work finds me throughout New Mexico and West Texas on a monthly basis, if you find a possible bus in the area I may be able to check it out for you during my travels. If nothing more than to provide more detailed pics and to hear it run... I've seen alot of rust free possibilities out here, sometimes/manytimes they go for more than they are worth and get sent south of the border though.
Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
haha i still remember my first drive like it was yesterday. Mine is a manual, but im more than familiar with them in trucks, and tractors but never a bus. the transmission shifted perfectly and that part went great. But I had to stop for fuel in a busy town and pull into this tiny 2 pump station smack dab by main street with a HUGE bus, so that was a little nerve racking. Then i put fuel in, paid, and went back to start my bus. turn the key and nothing! at that moment i was like oh ****, what did i just get myself into. how the hell am i going to get this bus out of here if it doesn't start!?! then i completely forgot to push in the fuel stop lever that kills my engine because my key does not. felt like a complete fool but was the only bump in my ride home. at least you got well acquainted with bus and you know its good for the long hauls!
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote