Old 04-19-2017, 10:03 AM   #71
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Ronda, I own a cutaway shuttle bus with a gas engine. I use it for weekend camping trips and sometimes haul a trailer with ATV's. Was a really good choice for me. Shuttles are something you should consider (in my opinion). Take your time finding the right bus for you!
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:49 AM   #72
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
There are lots of Ford shorties all over the country and they don't bring that much from the bus barns. However the conflicting information on eBay is where the F-450s sell for rediculously high prices.

With this large of an investment you shouldn't start out with a vehicle that has notorious problems with its engine, even at a cheap price, but the one you're looking at isn't all that cheap. If you're still looking in the $4,500 to $6,000 range you can find a much better bus to start with.

Ruth, are you thinking twice about your drive back from TN in a new to you vehicle?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:14 PM   #73
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
I have an F-350 I bullet-proofed. It cost about $4K. Since the work that engine breathes better, and I get better fuel mileage. I guess I'm always rooting for the diesel underdogs....... I love my 6.0L!

M
Old 04-19-2017, 01:29 PM   #74
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas Vista
Chassis: International 3600
Engine: Navistar T444E 7.3 Turbo Diesel
There is a big bus auction in Dallas this weekend. I happen to be in the area, they claim to have like 40 shorties among other things. Not sure what options they have for online bidding but I am planning to have a look.

DETAIL AUCTION TERMS & EXAMPLE OF BANK LETTER
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #75
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
there are a lot of 6.0s out there still on the road.. many of them with oiver 300k miles.. as are there lots of 7.3's still out there...

a lot of the 6.0's troubkles came in its first 2 years or production giving it a terrible reputation..

a lot of the 6.0's issues came from neglected maintenance.. ie neglected coolant, oil changes, fuel filter changes...

a lot of 6.0's issues came from neglected maintenance and then running them in Severe duty or worse... all stock parts with programmer chips, pulling big ass trailers in 100 degree heat at 75 MPH, driving the piss out of them, etc...

a lot of 6.0's issues came from people kniwing they had amn issue with say the oil temperature, or EGR cooler / EGR valve and continuing to drive it anyway

a lot of 6.0s took a bad "engine" rap when it was really the POS transmission that was behind it the first couple years... the forum post would read "my F-350 diesel SUX!!!".. first question.. "what motor?".. '6.0' - and they wouldnt read anymore to find out it was a transmission issue...

bulletproofing a partially bulletproofing a 6.0 will make it run for a long long time..!!

though ive been afraid of them in the past, owning a 7.3 (T-444E), the 6.0 No longer scares me... in fact i see short busses with the 6.0;s root-cousin (VT-365) all the time.. often Cheap! because of the perception...

Bulletoroofing a 6.0 isnt for someone who has never turned a wrench... esp in the tight confines of a Van-cutaway skoolie, its not rocket science, but you do have to take a LOT of stuff apart, including disconnecting and removing / reinstalling electronic bits..

the VT-365 is de-tunes compared to the ford 6.0 version so it didnt as often suffer the failures.. 230-250 max HP vs over 300 with Ford helped keep the head gaskets together... Most fleets want their trucks to last so they stick to very strict maint schedules which helped keep the EGR and oil coolers clean...

there are good and bad in ever yused bus / engine.. we have seen people on skoolie buy 7.3's and have dropped lifters, DT-466's that lost the coolant in the oil on thge maiden voyage.. , gas 350s with wiped cam lobes,

a lot of buying a Bus is the perception of that bus... if its pretty well thrashed out on the insde.. outside has a lot of dings and dents... it may have been neglected altogether..

if you can view a bus, or talk to a fleet manager and get info that helps greatly... a fleet manager has no skin in the game when an old bus goes to auction.. its gone from him and he has a brand new bus under warranty in its place.. so he is glad its one less he has to work on.. he has no reason not to tell you "that bus was a POS!!"
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #76
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
There are lots of Ford shorties all over the country and they don't bring that much from the bus barns. However the conflicting information on eBay is where the F-450s sell for rediculously high prices.

With this large of an investment you shouldn't start out with a vehicle that has notorious problems with its engine, even at a cheap price, but the one you're looking at isn't all that cheap. If you're still looking in the $4,500 to $6,000 range you can find a much better bus to start with.

Ruth, are you thinking twice about your drive back from TN in a new to you vehicle?
I am not thinking twice about the drive. The prices on the buses in TN are starting to go up. They are already in the $3,000-$4,500 range, with a week to go.

Just looking around in case the buses in TN lose the cost/gain benefit of driving across country to get it or get out of my price range.

It's crazy you called me Ruth. My first name is Rhonda and that's how I introduced my self, way back on the first post, but my middle name is Ruth. That made my day. Too cool.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:52 PM   #77
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
Hey everyone,

It seems from what I have read here, that the Ford Diesel 6.0L engine is not highly regarded.

My question:

Is the 6.0L engine a deal breaker?

Does it require more maintenance?

What's the deal with it?

Here is a clean looking California bus. I contacted the guy and he said it has the 6.0L engine with 109K miles. I posted both links to the bus. You can see the reserve is meet on Ebay at $4,000 even though they are asking $6,500 on the craigslist ad.

2006 California school bus | eBay

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/ctd/6092158091.html

Thanks everyone.
Unless you're rich, a ford loyalist, and extremely technically inclined RUN AWAY from 6.0 Powerstrokes. They've put people in the poor house with repair bills. There's a reason they're so cheap to buy!
Old 04-19-2017, 02:54 PM   #78
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
There is a big bus auction in Dallas this weekend. I happen to be in the area, they claim to have like 40 shorties among other things. Not sure what options they have for online bidding but I am planning to have a look.

Man, let me know if they have any nice fullsize shorties for me!!!!
Old 04-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #79
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
there are a lot of 6.0s out there still on the road.. many of them with oiver 300k miles.. as are there lots of 7.3's still out there...

a lot of the 6.0's troubkles came in its first 2 years or production giving it a terrible reputation..

a lot of the 6.0's issues came from neglected maintenance.. ie neglected coolant, oil changes, fuel filter changes...

a lot of 6.0's issues came from neglected maintenance and then running them in Severe duty or worse... all stock parts with programmer chips, pulling big ass trailers in 100 degree heat at 75 MPH, driving the piss out of them, etc...

a lot of 6.0's issues came from people kniwing they had amn issue with say the oil temperature, or EGR cooler / EGR valve and continuing to drive it anyway

a lot of 6.0s took a bad "engine" rap when it was really the POS transmission that was behind it the first couple years... the forum post would read "my F-350 diesel SUX!!!".. first question.. "what motor?".. '6.0' - and they wouldnt read anymore to find out it was a transmission issue...

bulletproofing a partially bulletproofing a 6.0 will make it run for a long long time..!!

though ive been afraid of them in the past, owning a 7.3 (T-444E), the 6.0 No longer scares me... in fact i see short busses with the 6.0;s root-cousin (VT-365) all the time.. often Cheap! because of the perception...

Bulletoroofing a 6.0 isnt for someone who has never turned a wrench... esp in the tight confines of a Van-cutaway skoolie, its not rocket science, but you do have to take a LOT of stuff apart, including disconnecting and removing / reinstalling electronic bits..

the VT-365 is de-tunes compared to the ford 6.0 version so it didnt as often suffer the failures.. 230-250 max HP vs over 300 with Ford helped keep the head gaskets together... Most fleets want their trucks to last so they stick to very strict maint schedules which helped keep the EGR and oil coolers clean...

there are good and bad in ever yused bus / engine.. we have seen people on skoolie buy 7.3's and have dropped lifters, DT-466's that lost the coolant in the oil on thge maiden voyage.. , gas 350s with wiped cam lobes,

a lot of buying a Bus is the perception of that bus... if its pretty well thrashed out on the insde.. outside has a lot of dings and dents... it may have been neglected altogether..

if you can view a bus, or talk to a fleet manager and get info that helps greatly... a fleet manager has no skin in the game when an old bus goes to auction.. its gone from him and he has a brand new bus under warranty in its place.. so he is glad its one less he has to work on.. he has no reason not to tell you "that bus was a POS!!"
-Christopher
I REALLY don't think the OP is the type who really has any good reason to own a 6.0 ford diesel. There are so many more options that aren't a possible nightmare from hell that its just not something a mother and her kids are gonna wanna take on, IMO.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #80
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

-Christopher
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post

Thanks for all this...
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice needed, bus choice, inspection, new member