Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #101
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
It makes me wonder who would bid eBay prices at a federal auction. Don't people realize the difference between wholesale and retail? When you buy wholesale, bus barn, you take a risk that you're not getting a fully functional vehicle. That risk is what demands a more retail price (profit) when the vehicle is sold. That's the same reason some people prefer buying from a dealer, without realizing they are only paying for a false sense of security.

I'd look for that bus to be relisted again due to failure on the buyers end.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:50 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
It makes me wonder who would bid eBay prices at a federal auction. Don't people realize the difference between wholesale and retail? When you buy wholesale, bus barn, you take a risk that you're not getting a fully functional vehicle. That risk is what demands a more retail price (profit) when the vehicle is sold. That's the same reason some people prefer buying from a dealer, without realizing they are only paying for a false sense of security.

Pre internet days I'd attend auctions where a couple of bidders fell in love with an item and they'd bid up the price above market. All things being equal, what would be the range for a bus in this condition?
Thanks,
Rafael
Gipsyinwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:14 PM   #103
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

I agree, but maybe someone put eyes on it and talked to the maintenance staff and found out one of them was literally in BRAND NEW condition, as in like the nicest one anyones ever had. IDK. The 6.0 is the only engine I'd want in a post 2003 van/bus.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:15 PM   #104
Bus Geek

Rafael, you won't like the answer. Right now the answer is whatever the last guy paid for it. You'd have to get an average price on similar vehicles sold to get a true value.
If you're asking for the true market value on that one specific low mileage bus, it's as much as the market will bear, and somebody just set the bar pretty high. They're worth whatever you can get someone else to pay for them on the open market. Those low mileage buses attracted a lot of attention, and as you said there is a certain amount of competition at times that it doesn't make sense to compete with. My auction motto was "You can't compete with stupid." I don't want to prove I have a bigger wallet than that other guy. I just want a good deal. I spent most of my time looking at heavy equipment and not buses. There isn't the same profit margin on buses and they're hard to sell to specific buyers.

I've found a few low mileage dognose shorties, but I think Rhonda was looking for a little gasser shorty.

I've seen guys bid way over new cost on used HF tools at auctions. It doesn't make sense, but somebody won. At the same time I've been at auctions where the auctioneer wouldn't take my bid, selling to one specific buyer.

Auctions are undependable. People have learned to work them to their advantage. I can't imagine why that bus sold for that much, and it effectively raises the value of all shorties a little bit all across the board. Personally I can't imagine being able to resell that bus for that price. It was worth it to someone. Perhaps it was an individual end user that wanted a really good bus. It's hard to say.
The bus community is attracting more and more people. Successful people. Maybe in that respect having buses puts us ahead of the curve?

Sorry about the value of that specific bus. I'd call that a definite spike in the price, and considering it was a nearly new condition bus it obviously had a lot of people watching it.
I'd also like to have a bus like that, but that's completely out of my price range. It's kind of a small bus anyway. I'm thinking that's eBay prices bleeding into the auction seen because the market is absorbing buses. Competition, but I wonder why all of a sudden. I don't think it's just the tiny home movement.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:16 PM   #105
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gipsyinwait View Post
Pre internet days I'd attend auctions where a couple of bidders fell in love with an item and they'd bid up the price above market. All things being equal, what would be the range for a bus in this condition?
Thanks,
Rafael
This one is on the HIGH end of the scale. Most of em went for like 8 or 9 grand. But this one was "special". Wish we had a better network of "eyes" to find out more about these buses!
Old 05-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #106

Thanks, you guys have a lot of knowledge gained thru years of buying, fixing and selling. I appreciate that you're generous with it
Rafael
Old 05-04-2017, 11:43 AM   #107
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I knew they were nice buses. But did you see how much the one in particular went for?
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...22&acctID=9660
Those buses got crazy expensive. I checked it the afternoon before it finished and I knew they were way to pricey.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:31 PM   #108
Bus Geek

Have you guys followed any of the less expensive buses out of that group? The one with 91k on it, or the one with 115k.

The low mileage combined with a long online auction brings out people with big money just about every time.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:52 PM   #109
Bus Geek

Quote:
Have you guys followed any of the less expensive buses out of that group? The one with 91k on it, or the one with 115k.

The low mileage combined with a long online auction brings out people with big money just about every time.
The hi mile ones went for 8-10k.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:19 PM   #110
Bus Geek

Huh, all outrageous. And primarily private buyers? I just felt the value of my bus go up.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #111
Bus Geek

Is NJ a rusty state? Kind of far off for Rhonda, but;

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...7045&itemid=26
Old 05-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #112
Bus Geek

My bag, that one's already closed. But a bearable price for a little diesel shorty.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:01 PM   #113

NJ is in the rust belt. I'm going to try to see a number of busses in NJ next week. I'll report back. Meantime Alabama is selling a whole bunch of busses. There may be less competition given the number being sold on the same day
Rafael

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=491&acctid=1210
Old 05-08-2017, 09:16 AM   #114
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

I am staying away from anything out of the Northeast. I lived in Maryland for 5 years and have see the rust damage to vehicles there.

There is an auction on May 19th at RB auction in Los Angeles. I'm going to go even if I don't end up bidding. Just to get a feel for an auction. But, just maybe, my bus will be there.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #115
Bus Crazy

Quote:

I owned a Loadstar chassis Blue Bird that started life in NJ.

It wasn't at all rusty and it was 20-years old when I purchased it.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice needed, bus choice, inspection, new member