Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 03:31 AM   #1
Skoolie

Size Matters (and I'm thinking small)

New guy--joined yesterday, and I've just begun shopping in earnest.
I've wanted my very own skoolie since I was a hippie in Big Sur in '69 (to be honest, I was 13 then), and now that I'm preparing to retire, it's finally time for the overland skoolie I've always wanted. I've been watching skoolie and van builds on youtube for a year, and ready to get started.

So, what size matters most? I'm looking to build a 4x4 overland vehicle, and it needs to be maneuverable. Almost everything I'm interested in is 5 window, with perhaps a few 6 window exceptions.

I like vintage, and since I'm looking at shorties, an old Chevy or Ford would be very easy for me to deal with the mechanics, and I can snap a 60s Chevy truck together like a Mr. Potatohead. Other than that, I've been checking out a few Thomas/Vista 3600 shorties, with the International variation of the 7.3 Powerstroke, but I know nothing about the International drive trains or the possibility of 4WD.

JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #2
Bus Nut

If you are seriously wanting a short, vintage bus, look at Tango's lil' Ford. When it's completed, it's going to be the bomb. You can be assured that everything on it, is right.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
1 OF, you're right 'cept its a '46 Chevy. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
Skoolie

Tango's '46 Chevy looks awesome, and, while I appreciate a great build, he didn't build it for me! There are 2 fatal flaws for my purposes.
1. It's only 4 windows. I REALLY want another 2 feet.
2. (the big one) it's ill equipped to deal with a 5000 lb toad! I'd have to throw away some of the best work he's done to stuff a 6 cyl Cumins into it, and I have my doubts about using the original chassis for a 4WD build (or any more torque than the 4 cyl he's used).

It IS an awesome build, and I'd feel like it was sacrilege to make major changes.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Angry

Of course, Jack is correct. I'm so absent m8nded. I was the guy who had the '47 Ford.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote