Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Smile Skoolie in project from Quebec !

Hi ppl !

Since 2 months, I'm watching a loooot of Youtube videos and I'm decided now ! I found "the perfect school bus" (means, with all the specifications I wanted like flat nose, air suspensions/brakes, trunks of each sides) and I should buy it very soon. I try to have some informations with the SAAQ (Quebec Automobile Insurance Corporation) and my insurance and it's not easy to collect all those informations (and it's just the beginning ...).

I can have a transit from the seller to the "point of transformation" for one day (I try to have the similar thing with my insurance).

So if there are another people in Quebec who wants to talk here about this big project, feel free to message me here or in PM

Cya !

rahasiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:17 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: Ford E350 with Girardin body
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
I'm in Ontario. Message me if you ever want some advice or my thoughts, I'll be happy to do what I can.

I'm having a hard time finding insurance as well. I have not run into a pass that allows transit from the point or purchase to point of transformation...that would be handy.

So far my best lead is with Allstate. Will let you know how it works out. Got a quote from Alfa Insurance for $200/mo when converted. $400/mo while converting. Too high for me.
iProgramStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:24 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you

What kind of bus do you have? Where are you in the conversion?

$200 or $400 are very expensive.. I hope my insurance will find a better price. I know a guy in Laval who pay about $60/month (Promutuel) for a school bus converted in RV in 1999/2000 I think. Maybe you can check with them.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:54 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: Ford E350 with Girardin body
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
I have a 1998 9 row, flat-nose Thomas TC2000. 5.9 cummins, 545 tranny.

I agree...it is prohibitively expensive. My best quote was $585/yr which I wanted to jump on, but that was for a completed conversion and they will not cover the bus as-is. I just heard from them that they would not cover me. I'm going to try Promutuel. They insured your bus as a school bus, so that you could drive it home? That seems to be my biggest obstacle now.

All the best,
Chris Fuller
iProgramStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I don't have this insurance for now, it's the guy that I know in Laval, but yes, it's for the complete conversion. For me, I must to pick up the bus nearly Quebec and go back to the Monteregie. I can drive the school bus without any special license (limited for a "deplacement" an with 3 passagers max). I'm waiting for the insurance broker for a quote only for one day.

After that, I will let the bus in a yard without registration/insurance until the bus will be convert and then ask to my insurance.

$585/yr is a good price I guess
Old 04-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahasiyam View Post
Hi ppl !

Since 2 months, I'm watching a loooot of Youtube videos and I'm decided now ! I found "the perfect school bus" (means, with all the specifications I wanted like flat nose, air suspensions/brakes, trunks of each sides) and I should buy it very soon. I try to have some informations with the SAAQ (Quebec Automobile Insurance Corporation) and my insurance and it's not easy to collect all those informations (and it's just the beginning ...).

I can have a transit from the seller to the "point of transformation" for one day (I try to have the similar thing with my insurance).

So if there are another people in Quebec who wants to talk here about this big project, feel free to message me here or in PM

Cya !
Hi,

Have you begun the conversion.

Looking to do the same here in québec city

Wanna share info?

Cheers!

Jean-François Bégin
Jeffbegin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:46 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Salut,

Oui j'ai commencé depuis longtemps déjà. Je tiens le groupe Facebook aussi et j'ai vu que tu as fais une demande. Je vais t'ajouter et tu pourras poser tes questions et je te donnerais l'adresse de ma page Facebook si tu veux suivre la conversion

Au plaisir !
Old 04-11-2018, 08:00 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Salut,

Oui j'ai commencé depuis longtemps déjà. Je tiens le groupe Facebook aussi et j'ai vu que tu as fais une demande. Je vais t'ajouter et tu pourras poser tes questions et je te donnerais l'adresse de ma page Facebook si tu veux suivre la conversion

Au plaisir !
Super! Un gros merci!!

Jean-François
Jeffbegin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #9

Pourquoi est-ce que tu as choisi un autobus "nez-plat"? Tu auras de la misère a verifier l ' état de ton moteur. C'est sans doute un Prevost, ou est-ce que je me trompe?
nicolasuribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:30 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Je voulais être plus proche de la route C'est l'effet de grandeur et de "panoramique" que j'aimais. Et puis pour l'entretien, ça m'inquiète pas trop. C'est pas le plus accessible, mais si ça existe depuis des années, c'est que c'est pas si pire hehe

Moi c'est un Bluebird de 2001.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Hi ppl !

Cya !
Hey! Im starting my conversion this spring and would love to know if you found that info after all?
LouannaRosset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:34 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Je t'invite à poser tes questions sur notre groupe ou d'y faire une recherche. Beaucoup d'eaux sont passées les ponts ... ;) Et au Québec, c'est pas simple !

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SkoolieCanada/
Old 02-21-2019, 03:37 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I met a really nice guy who drove his skoolie down from French Canada. We were smoking and he even coughed in French! Nice guy, just can't recall his name. He has a 2008 IC.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote