Old 07-21-2016, 12:13 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Coaches add an additional expense over a skoolie. An older one will be a two-cycle and is more difficult to get parts for and mechanics to work on. The new ones are four-stroke but more expensive to repair and maintain. Remember, these are heavy duty platforms as opposed to a skoolie's medium duty. Provost moved from DD to Volvo engines when they were sold. A solid, mid-eighties coach can be had for $10k.

Today's light-duty diesels out run the old stock 71 & 92 series two-strokes and are far more efficient to boot. If I were wealthy, I'd put a late model Ford, GM or Cummins in an RE skoolie and call it a day. With the cruise set to 55-65, on an open road, bussin is great.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:59 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

thanks for the feedback

Thanks guys for the feedback! I just saw it today and its EXACTLY the kind of dialogue I was hoping for... my boyfriend and I will be visiting every state in the country and traveling A LOT... so I'm wondering now if my original coach idea conversion might still be the way to go. It sounds like based on what you guys have said, that it will be much harder to do repairs on it and maintain it. I was thinking of a Gillig.. I don't want anything though that I cant take to a national state park, so nothing bigger than 35 feet. I was wondering if you were in my position, how do I go about best researching the best bus? I just read Gilligs were very good? A gillig is a coach right?

If you were going to buy a coach under 35 feet, what would you suggest? How old is too old? Could I do one from the 80s, partially converted and just remodel it to make it look modern? Or I could just buy a bus and start from scratch. What would you estimate I would need to buy and convert a coach? Also, is GM the same as greyhound? I know it stands for general motors but i see these two used interchangeabley sometimes. Anyway, I hope you don't mind me questioning your ears off! I just want to make sure I buy the right bus!
girasoledonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:05 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
An MCI MC5 executive coach would fit the bill nicely.
If I were gonna do hard interstate miles that's what I'd go with.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:08 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

thank you! And MCI huh I don't know anything about that coach I will look at one! Can you tell me why that coach fits the bill, so I can learn what you know about it?
Old 07-22-2016, 09:10 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

another question I have is this: I hear that with school buses you can go just about anywhere, but with a coach not so much... so for instance if we want to stay in state parks, we cant with a coach? Or we can? I mean I know with off roading you cant do that with a 35 foot coach.. but with a school bus you could.. But is that the only thing limiting you with a coach really?

Would you suggest if we are traveling a lot that we sell our 2011 Kia Soul Hatchback or tow it as a toad? My boyfriend does not drive due to his handicap only me. I do think a coach would be nicer for more space for him.. with his disability.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:11 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Those look AWESOME!
Old 07-22-2016, 09:28 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by girasoledonna View Post
thank you! And MCI huh I don't know anything about that coach I will look at one! Can you tell me why that coach fits the bill, so I can learn what you know about it?
MCI's are NICE. A buddy of mine put a million miles on his driving around bands and celebrities in the 90's.
The mc5's are nice because they're shorter than the full length models and don't have the tag axles in the rear.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:43 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Im an idiot because a GILLIG IS A SCHOOL BUS. Lol. So I guess I need to rethink that if i want to go coach? For an MCI can you give me more thoughts on transmission, engine etc? And should I aim for an 80's, 90's, etc or earlier? I never know if an older bus is a good idea...
Old 07-22-2016, 09:44 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
...and don't forget the mostly stainless MCI 9's!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:44 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

is an MCI a motorhome? or a bus? Cause I was trying to avoid a motorhome for all the reasons we avoid motorhomes hahahah