Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2016, 06:28 AM   #61
Mini-Skoolie

So the coach has 190,000 miles on it...my understanding about that Detroit Diesel engine from research is that it has about 30,000 miles to go before it needs a rebuild, and since they don't make that engine anymore, I'm hearing that 5-8K is what it would cost to rebuild that.

He told me they bought a new coach so they need to sell this one. They said they have had it for ten years though...I emailed him with a bunch of questions and haven't heard back yet, that was last night.

My guess is they bought a new coach not wanting to rebuild the engine. Buying it would mean rebuilding the engine probably within our first year of owning it depending on how much we travel, but we did want to see every state in the Country for our project.

I've never driven anything like a bus. Should I be worried? What kind of money would I need to have set aside for a coach that is 50 years old? I had to laugh at the ageist comment hahaa I love older things- I'm a 33 year old black and white movie buff from the glam Hollywood era! I just know nothing about buses, and that's a heck of a lot of coach. I'm worried about repairs and ending up with tens of thousands of dollars that need to be put into it.

He lives in Minnesota and I live in NJ. So I would have to fly out and see it, and have a diesel mechanic that I find and hire look at it. I figure in 30 min he can tell me if it's a good rig or a lemon.

girasoledonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:06 AM   #62
Mini-Skoolie

Black and white movies? Not you are a colorist? Don't like color movies? ! Gosh lol
I bought the first bus I found, a 68 4107 gmc. I love it! Go for it! You only live once. And yes, back in the day they were built to last! Even the newer coaches aren't built as well.
HTH
Eric

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
daddyoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:10 AM   #63
Mini-Skoolie

They only made em black and white back then 😂!!! Wow so you have a 1968! Can I ask how it's been? How much money have you had to pour into it? someone has been telling me it's probably a "money pit" on another thread and suggesting I go with a class c RV so I'm not "in over my head."
girasoledonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:46 AM   #64
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
To me, a Class C would be a money pit. Flimsy, "sticks and staples" construction. My Mother in law had one that was practically new and 2 drawers broke and an electrical panel cover broke on the one trip she let us borrow it. That experience solidified our decision to buy a skoolie. We're probably 10-12k in on our build and we love it more and more every day. I'm sure others on here will agree!

John
johnbloem1974 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:26 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by girasoledonna View Post
So the coach has 190,000 miles on it...my understanding about that Detroit Diesel engine from research is that it has about 30,000 miles to go before it needs a rebuild, and since they don't make that engine anymore, I'm hearing that 5-8K is what it would cost to rebuild that.

He told me they bought a new coach so they need to sell this one. They said they have had it for ten years though...I emailed him with a bunch of questions and haven't heard back yet, that was last night.

My guess is they bought a new coach not wanting to rebuild the engine. Buying it would mean rebuilding the engine probably within our first year of owning it depending on how much we travel, but we did want to see every state in the Country for our project.

I've never driven anything like a bus. Should I be worried? What kind of money would I need to have set aside for a coach that is 50 years old? I had to laugh at the ageist comment hahaa I love older things- I'm a 33 year old black and white movie buff from the glam Hollywood era! I just know nothing about buses, and that's a heck of a lot of coach. I'm worried about repairs and ending up with tens of thousands of dollars that need to be put into it.

He lives in Minnesota and I live in NJ. So I would have to fly out and see it, and have a diesel mechanic that I find and hire look at it. I figure in 30 min he can tell me if it's a good rig or a lemon.
EastCoastCB is dead on. Have a DD two-stroke mechanic look the coach over before you buy it. Consider it insurance.

190k miles on an 8v71 is barely broken in. When we've said the Detroit two-stokes are million mile engines, we weren't kidding. Reasonable maintenance ensures the longevity. Heck, abused, most Detroits will travel 500k miles. I drove a couple different 71-series engines. Neither had less than 500k miles on it.

The owners probably bought a new coach for two reasons, creature comforts and mileage. That 8v71 will nab you 5-7 mpg, depending on how fast you push her. Ask the owners why they decided on a new coach. The worst they can do is lie in response.

I think you are just as likely to have problems with a brand new class C as you are this coach. Under ideal circumstances, I would have at least $25k in my savings account before heading out on a year's adventure, regardless of what RV I was driving. You're looking at over $9k worth of fuel if you travel 20,000 miles in this MC5. Will you have an income while you're on the road? I would also try to rid myself of all debt before hitting the road. That all being said, it is an adventure...

If you need a two-stoke mechanic, I can recommend a very good one in Central NJ. He is well-known for his work, especially his rebuilds.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:53 PM   #66
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by girasoledonna View Post
another question I have is this: I hear that with school buses you can go just about anywhere, but with a coach not so much... so for instance if we want to stay in state parks, we cant with a coach? Or we can? I mean I know with off roading you cant do that with a 35 foot coach.. but with a school bus you could.. But is that the only thing limiting you with a coach really?

Would you suggest if we are traveling a lot that we sell our 2011 Kia Soul Hatchback or tow it as a toad? My boyfriend does not drive due to his handicap only me. I do think a coach would be nicer for more space for him.. with his disability.
Keep the. Car for a toad.
That's my plans with my wife's 2014 soul anyway?
It's always nice to have something to run around in or on(like east coast scooters) so the rig can stay set up and don't have to move
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:55 PM   #67
Skoolie

Year: 198x
Coachwork: Crown & MCI
Chassis: 40ft Tandem/40ft MC-9 Tag
Engine: Cummins 855 BCT/6V92TA, RTO-910/HT-740
Rated Cap: 47,000lb/38,000lb GVWR
Thoughts from an owner of a Motorhome, School Bus, and a Coach:

I really like my TMC-9 (MCI); it rides as good, if not better than my ol' 78 GMC tandem gasser motorhome. It has a DD 6V92TA (~280HP) mated to an Allison MT740, it's slow going on hills (~35MPH @ 6% grade) but will hug the flat-lands at a steady 70-80MPH. MPG is about 6-7 it seems regardless of load or speed. It's also nice and quiet (at least inside.) A VERY comfortable drive to say the least. I don't worry about weight much, but it is more of a consideration than my School Bus.

My School Bus is a Crown 40' tandem and it's the most fun I've ever had driving a vehicle that big. Powerhouse for that is a Cummins 855 (~300HP) mated to an EF Roadranger 10SPDw/OD. It bounces a bit (air-bags in rear and springs up front) but is still manageable. Doesn't seem to matter whether it's hills or flat, the speedo has been buried for great lengths and it stops at 85MPH. MPG on this one has been ~9-13. It loves to go fast and handles great. I don't worry about weight at all.

My motorhome is a 23' 1978 GMC (think Urban Assault Vehicle) with a 455 gasser mated to an automatic Olds heavy-duty tornado trans. I love this thing, it rides nice and definitely not slow but it doesn't have any room, I worry about weight, and MPG is about the same as my TMC. It's nice for short trips.

I think as long as you understand what to expect vs. want, and (more importantly) are getting yourself into, most of these Commercial vehicles people use and admire here will ALWAYS bet a better than a sticks and staples Class C RV.

You won't regret buying that MCI-5 for that price as long as it is as stated. It looks like a GREAT deal and you're not going to have to spend many $1K's building it out. The 8V71 will net you about the same performance as my TMC.

P.S. All the mentioned vehicles are 1978-1989. I like old things and as long as maintained I'll own 'em any day over most of the newer stuff.
serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:58 PM   #68
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Have someone who knows diesels take a look at it.
That's what I did..... I took a diesel mechanic buddy
Then he started drooling all over it!

I had to buy it, to keep him from buying it!
Old 07-26-2016, 10:59 PM   #69
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
That's what I did..... I took a diesel mechanic buddy
Then he started drooling all over it!

I had to buy it, to keep him from buying it!
I hope his drool didn't start more rust.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:01 PM   #70
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent View Post
Thoughts from an owner of a Motorhome, School Bus, and a Coach:

I really like my TMC-9 (MCI); it rides as good, if not better than my ol' 78 GMC tandem gasser motorhome. It has a DD 6V92TA (~280HP) mated to an Allison MT740, it's slow going on hills (~35MPH @ 6% grade) but will hug the flat-lands at a steady 70-80MPH. MPG is about 6-7 it seems regardless of load or speed. It's also nice and quiet (at least inside.) A VERY comfortable drive to say the least. I don't worry about weight much, but it is more of a consideration than my School Bus.

My School Bus is a Crown 40' tandem and it's the most fun I've ever had driving a vehicle that big. Powerhouse for that is a Cummins 855 (~300HP) mated to an EF Roadranger 10SPDw/OD. It bounces a bit (air-bags in rear and springs up front) but is still manageable. Doesn't seem to matter whether it's hills or flat, the speedo has been buried for great lengths and it stops at 85MPH. MPG on this one has been ~9-13. It loves to go fast and handles great. I don't worry about weight at all.

My motorhome is a 23' 1978 GMC (think Urban Assault Vehicle) with a 455 gasser mated to an automatic Olds heavy-duty tornado trans. I love this thing, it rides nice and definitely not slow but it doesn't have any room, I worry about weight, and MPG is about the same as my TMC. It's nice for short trips.

I think as long as you understand what to expect vs. want, and (more importantly) are getting yourself into, most of these Commercial vehicles people use and admire here will ALWAYS bet a better than a sticks and staples Class C RV.

You won't regret buying that MCI-5 for that price as long as it is as stated. It looks like a GREAT deal and you're not going to have to spend many $1K's building it out. The 8V71 will net you about the same performance as my TMC.

P.S. All the mentioned vehicles are 1978-1989. I like old things and as long as maintained I'll own 'em any day over most of the newer stuff.
Great comparison! I simply wish the Crowns (and other similar skoolies) were as available as coaches.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:42 PM   #71
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
I hope his drool didn't start more rust.
I've yet to find any